Match Review thread

I must admit I put this thread together after I read a couple of your posts about the Rd2 1988 clash against Penrith.

I'll get to it, but this Melbourne Storm 07 game is something else.

I must admit I put this thread together after I read a couple of your posts about the Rd2 1988 clash against Penrith.

I'll get to it, but this Melbourne Storm 07 game is something else.

The 40-0 Qualifying final in Melbourne?

No, that game was just depressing. :laugh:

Round 7 2007 at Suncorp.

The only game that caused me to 'dead-arm' someone because I was that frustrated.

Totally forgot about it until the moment happened.

I thought that was a game that Broncos had for the taking... But they just kept shooting themselves in the foot. A bit of a controversial game, as well.

I remember Lockyer blowing up a couple of times during that game because of the silly errors whenever Broncos started building up some kind of pressure..

Last edited:
Round 7, 2007
Suncorp Stadium

BRISBANE BRONCOS 18, MELBOURNE STORM 28

Brisbane
1. Karmichael Hunt 2. Steve Michaels 16. Darius Boyd 4. Justin Hodges 5. Brent Tate
6. Darren Lockyer 7. Shaun Berrigan
8. Dane Carlaw 17. Ian Lacey 10. Petero Civoniceiva 3. David Stagg 12. Brad Thorn 21. Greg Eastwood

Interchange: 9. Michael Ennis 11. Sam Thaiday 15. Ben Hannant 18. Joel Moon

Melbourne
1. Billy Slater 2. Steve Turner 3. Matt King 6. Matt Geyer 5. Israel Folau
20. Greg Inglis 7. Cooper Cronk
8. Antonio Kaufusi 9. Cameron Smith (c) 10. Brett White 11. Michael Crocker 12. Ryan Hoffman 13. Dallas Johnson

Interchange: 4. Anthony Quinn 14. Sam Tagataese 15. Jeff Lima 16. Ian Donnelly

This is one of those games you could write an essay on. I'm talking from experience here, this is attempt #2 after my first read like a bad David Middleton impression - I'm hoping this maybe more user-friendly.

The game followed a very interesting script. Both teams really wanted to win and played with Origin-like intensity through out the 80 minutes yet both teams were guilty of making the most basic of errors. In the end, Brisbane were far more guilty than the visitors, lacked the overall quality of the visitors and arguably received a raw deal from the referees.

At the time, I thought the referees were trying to square up the 06 GF. Melbourne had two controversial tries awarded and were somehow deemed the clearner side winning the penalty count. As a passionate 17 year old who hated those Melbourne players, it didn't seem right. Years on, I'm willing to admit most of the calls were merely contentious and the worst call of the evening was merely bad luck for the Broncos. I'm of course referring to Turner's try in the corner, where he claimed the ball behind the back of Tate and planted the ball down despite the attention of three defenders. Live, it looked like a no-brainer and Hampstead ruled accordingly. However, replays showed that Turner had infact spilled the ball. I've seen tries like that given in the past, so it wasn't as terrible as I remembered it but it wasn't a try, it was just a kick-in-the-guts for a Broncos team that continuously shot themselves in the foot in spite of their intentions. It's tries like Turner's that justify the referee's use of the video referee. I understand that fans just want to watch the action, but these calls can make or break careers - I have no problem with the referees checking everything.

Regardless, the Broncos were their own worst enemy. Too many cheap mistakes down their own end gifted Melbourne 58% of the ball and by that point, the game was basically over at 28-12. Strangely, it didn't feel that way and Vossy kept noting that the Broncos were going to have the final say but they simply didn't have the fire power to get back into the contest. Their sole try came off a wonderful passage of play.

Darius Boyd was like Willie Carne circa 1992 beating the oncoming defence to somehow make it back into the field of play. Brisbane received a rare penalty and Hodgo found the Storm napping, racing 70 odd before being chased down by GI. Next play, Berrigan zones in on the goal-line, attracts two Storm defenders before getting an offload away to Stagg who surges to the line. There was a hint of a double movement from Stagg but the referees deemed it a try.

Unfortunately it was a rare highlight in a game filled with plenty of lows. I've been trying to get my head around what it was exactly that made for a poor start to the season. I understand that the GF, Tri-Series and WCC took a lot out of them but that didn't excuse them from making the type of mistakes there were.

So far I've been watching a team of individuals who happen to have a couple of Test players in their ranks but they're not all pitching in. I'm watching some of the worst performances I've seen from dummy-half compounded by some soft efforts from the young forwards and lack of confidence in the backs. Brisbane are primarily playing down their right hand side and aren't getting enough from players like Hunt, Berrigan, Boyd or Michaels.

Hindsight being 20/20, I would have been calling for Ennis at hooker, Perry at halfback, Michaels to be dropped for Kemp, played Tate in the centres and Berro off the bench. If those changes didn't work, I would have fiddled with the pack. In contrast, at the time I wanted McConnell in the team because I read a decent review of him, Thorn out of the backrow, Boyd out of the team for good and was completely fine with Michaels and Berro.

To wrap up, this was a really watchable game and now that the dust has well and truly settled it's worth a watch. Not the highest quality, but definitely entertaining.

Last edited:
1984 Grand Final.
Wynnum

1. Walsh
  2. Green
  3. French
  4. Miles
  5. Butler
  6. Lewis
  7. Dawes
  8. French
  9. Green
  10. Dowling
  11. Kajewski
  12. Green c
  13. Coyne
Souths

1. Belcher
  2. Veivers
  3. Meninga
  4. Abbott
  5. Jackson
  6. Alverson
  7. Sully
  8. Lindner
  9. Lumby
  10. Kerr
  11. Kellaway
  12. Muller
  13. Grienke

Jackson roughs up Wally at the start. Belcher makes a break but pulled down short and double movement. Penalty Wynnum.
Wally goes the blind and just moves through to set up French to run and give it to Green to score- failed to convert- Wynnum 4-0 after 12.

Belcher through again, Badge was so quick and wirey.
Penalty Souths so Mal has a kick- Mal has 34/59 this season.
He’s successful this time so Wynnum 4-2.
Miles makes a big run, he was so impressive just picks it up at dummy half and draws four to put Green over backing up- Try for the Wynnum captain.
Wynnum 10-2

It’s too easy at the moment for Wynnum. They haven’t shown Benny yet but can’t imagine his mood was great.
Dowling’s turn this time to walk through a very very fragile Souths’ defence.
Belcher was such a brave player- he’s playing a lone hand today.
SOFT by Souths- Dowling makes a run for the line and stopped so just plays it forward and dives on it.
Wynnum 16-2 at the break.
Wynnum’s Walsh scores too easy 20-2

Classic commentary:
Bennett either didn’t tell them what to do, they didn’t listen or they can’t do it.

French brothers such good back up players. Great try.
Wynnum 24-2

The firm of Lewis and Miles- Lewis off-loads to Miles just following Wally along and he gets the off-load.
Wynnum 30-2.

Bennett on the bench now, not sure you can do anything down there Benny.
Wally v Mal- don’t bother Wally you’re up by plenty and he would kill you.
Green takes the quick tap and scores under the posts.
Wynnum 36-2.
Wally from 20 out just runs and puts it down under the posts- too easy.
Wynnum 42-2.
8 tries for Wynnum in a Grand Final with 10 minutes to go.

$200 Canterbury voucher to the MOTM. It’s also the first Grand Final live into Sydney.
Wynnum 42-8 after a late Souths try.
I would have loved to see this Wynnum side play the Bulldogs. Shame it never happened.
Brian Walsh is MOTM at full back for Wynnum replacing a suspended Scott.

Broncos v Wests Round 15, 1992.

Broncos

1. Carne
2. Hancock
3. Renouf
4. Johns
5. Plowman
6. Walters
7. Langer
8. Lazarus
9. Walters
10. Allen
11. Gillmeister
12. Hohn
13. Matterson

Wests

1. Devine
2. Bell
42. McGarry
4. Willis
5. Anderson
3. Farrar
7. Taylor
8. Britt
9. Thomas c
10. Gillespie
11. Lindner
12. Langmack
13. Lidden

Wests 25 (Bell 2, Farrar and Willis tries, Taylor 4/5 and field goal.)
Broncos 12 (Renouf 2 and Hohn tries, Matterson 2/5.)

Broncos still had this type of performance in them, they just were poor from the start, away from home and at a rubbish venue in front of 10,000. It was always their weakness.

Alf went to the sin bin for arguing, always a sign they're not switched on.

One of only four games they lost all year and after it they won nine straight through to the premiership.

Renouf scored two good tries, second one was all about strength which was different for him. No real stand out for the Broncos it was pretty poor.

Jules came off the bench in number 41 but didn't inject much. Carne was poor at 1.

Cann, Gee and Currie all playing Reggies and would come into the side again before the finals.

Ryan could always coach against the Broncos in those early days, he waved the magic formula in '88 as well. Wests had a good side- nearly the best money could buy at the time!

We should rename this the Broncos Masochism thread. :laugh:

Enjoying these early Broncos reviews 1910. You must have that Rd5 1992 game on tape, right?

FWIW I'm reading through the 1992 Rugby League Annual as research for Penny's list. Middleton describes the Rd15 encounter as Wests best performance of the season. Brisbane were down after a near perfect display against Easts the week before. They led that match 46-6 before they let in 3 tries in the final 10.

Middo only gave Renouf and Gilly a wrap for their efforts against Wests.

Last edited:
We should rename this the Broncos Masochism thread. :laugh:

Enjoying these early Broncos reviews 1910. You must have that Rd5 1992 game on tape, right?

FWIW I'm reading through the 1992 Rugby League Annual as research for Penny's list. Middleton describes the Rd15 encounter as Wests best performance of the season. Brisbane were down after a near perfect display against Easts the week before. They led that match 46-6 before they let in 3 tries in the final 10.

Middo only gave Renouf and Gilly a wrap for their efforts against Wests.

Nothing on tape anymore. I couldn't watch them if they were.

I just randomly pick them off the shelf. Sometimes I put them back and pick another if I can remember the outcome and don't like it.

Easts the week before was good 9 tries in a pretty decent display.

Broncos vs Raiders 26-12 1991 Round 3 @ Lang Park

After their first real successful season for the Broncos in 1990, many felt the Broncos would build heavily
and be a real force in 1991 particularly with the addition of the axe to give their forward pack an extra punch, however the Broncos showed that while they definitely had the potential to be a real threat
they were just too inconsistent week in and week out, success however would eventually come in 1991.

Coming off a disappoint loss the Broncos were looking to bounce back against the Raiders at Lang Park.

Brisbane Broncos

1. Tony Currie
2. Brett Plowman
3. Steve Renouf
4. Chris Johns
5. Michael Hancock
6. Kevin Walters
7. Alan Langer
8. Andrew Tessman
9. Kerrod Walters
10. Gavin Allen
11. Trevor Gillmeister
12. Andrew Gee
13. Gene Miles

14. Greg Dowling
15. Terry Matterson
16. John Plath
17. Willie Morganson

Canberra Raiders

1. Darrell McDonald
2. Paul Martin
3. Mal Meninga
4. Scott Gale
5. Mark Bell
6. Matthew Wood
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Brent Todd
9. Steve Walters
10. Glenn Lazarus
11. David Barnhill
12. Gary Coyne
13. Laurie Daley

14. Phil Carey
15. Glenn Ryan
16. Brett Boyd
17. Jason Croker

First Half report

Langer kicks off for the Broncos, good first set from both the Raiders and Broncos, raiders in the second set get a great kick off deep into the Broncos second half which they managed to regain possession and deep in attack. They send the ball wide on the attack with the Broncos offside, playing advantage but Renouf manages an intercept and nobody was going to stop him but the ref calls it back.
The Raiders then decide to take the 2 from out wide and Meninga makes it 2-0 to the Raiders. Broncos get penalised next set for slowing down the play the ball and the Raiders again are attacking the Broncos side, Raiders put up a bomb which sees Plowman having to push the ball over the deadball line with pressure put on by the raiders. Langer takes the line dropout and again the Raiders are on the offensive, Broncos get a penalty for interference on a defender. Broncos first set for quiet a while but are struggling to make ground, Langer makes his trademark chip and chase which helps get them out of their half but the Raiders are definitely on top at the moment.

Broncos look better when they run straight and offload with purpose but otherwise aren't making too much metres out of their half atm. Raiders deep into the Broncos half, working well up the middle, ball movement involving Stuart, Daley, Walters, Todd and Lazarus sees a massive gap for Scott Gale to run through to score. Right next to the posts and Meninga misses! 6-0 to the Raiders and look to be in control of this match, however the Broncos put in an excellent defensive set and the Raiders give up possession from a knock on early in the tackle count. This is the Broncos best opportunity to put pressure on the Raiders, from the scrum the Broncos are making great metres, strong runs from Plowman, Allen, sees them spread it out wide for Hancock but a poor pass ruins an opportunity, the Broncos still retain possession. Tessman puts up a bomb, looks for all money McDonald the fullback for the Raiders had it covered with no pressure but he made an absolute meal of it and a line drop out to the Broncos. Broncos are looking better, Plowman makes a strong run, followed by Allen who offloads to Kevin Walters who was nearly through a half gap. Andrew Gee hits it up, gets a swinging arm though he well and truely milked it with a dive most soccer players would be proud of. Broncos decide to take the 2 through Langer of all people and nearly right in front and it hits the upright and the Raiders regather possession from poor chasing by the Broncos.

Raiders making their way out of their half, kick with Hancock chasing, brings it back and runs over Meninga and makes some great metres, Broncos are starting to look like they are getting back into this game. Langer puts up a bomb, Meninga gets a forward pass and also knocks on giving the Broncos another opportunity. Langer, to walters to johns, back to walters, dummied back to Currie who was tackled before he had the ball, McDonald is sinbinned for 5 minutes, The Broncos get marched another ten minutes and Plowman nearly over in the corner, the Broncos spread it out wide and it looks for all money Renouf was certain to score with trademark agility shown but the ball comes loose backwards from an attempted tackle and Gee picks up and dives over for a try. 6-4 to the Broncos. Langer takes the conversion and is successful, it's now 6-6 and the Broncos right from kick return are cutting the Raiders to shreds, Currie sends it to Langer who sends it to back to Currie looking for support, doesn't find anyone at first but then gets an offload to Kerrod Walters who makes a great run gets it to Hancock looking for open space. Broncos unlucky not to get a penalty for a slow play the ball, Broncos continue to cut the Raiders defence, Broncos attacking the Raiders line, Broncos jinks and looking certain to score about to ground it but Stuart kicks it out of his hands and at worst it should have been play on for which would have seen Gee score his second, pissweak decision.

To rub salt into the wounds the Raiders get a penalty from the scrum and then on the attack the raiders lose possession with a knock on but called play on and tackle restarted. Raiders get a penalty and deep on attack, daley puts in a grubber eventually but Currie takes it well. Kevin Walters looks dangerous with the ball making a good run from dummy half and the Broncos kick early in the tackle count, find grass and the raiders give up possession near the halfway line. Daley knocks the ball backwards out of Kevin Walters hands and the Raiders are back on the attack, but not long on they too cough up possession. From the scrum, Hancock, Dowling make good runs finding the Raiders offside and the Broncos deep in Raiders territory. Allen takes the first hit up followed by Dowling, Langer shifts it to Miles looking for a runner, back to langer, gets it to Johns, Kerrod had an opportunity for a try but can't take the pass. Penalty to the Raiders gets them out of trouble, looking tired the game has so far been played at a pretty fast rate and a lot of ball movement. Raiders attacking the Broncos line, Broncos probably should have been penalised for offside but aren't. Bad luck for the Raiders as they knock it on thanks to hands in the play the ball from Kerrod. Renouf goes down hurt from a tackle involving Meninga and loses possession backwards but the Raiders knock on in the process. Broncos feed and the Broncos attacking the Raiders half, Kevin Walters makes a great break, finds Currie in support but gets tackled. Kevin goes from dummy half gets it to Plowman attacking out wide gets tackled. They spread it cross field, Langer had Miles charging onto the ball but instead spread it out wide.

Kerrod Walters spreads it out wide, but Plowman can't take the loose pass. A couple of tackles later the Raiders make an absolute meal of a play the ball and the Broncos get another gift opportunity. Broncos setting up nicely testing the Raiders defence, Matterson to Langer, Langer kicks for Plowman and the ball just out with Plowman unlucky. Lots of errors but still a good match so far when both sides hold the ball. Meninga kicks, almost goes out of the full but Curries gets it, returns it but not quite to the ten metre mark, gets a penalty and Matterson kicks for touch. Broncos attacking and it looks like Kevin Walters will make a clear break but its a forward pass and only just. Broncos are playing hot potato and while it provides opportunities they are killing opportunities with poor ball security so far. Raiders on attack and Langer shows his trademark ability to pinch the ball taking pressure off the Broncos. Broncos works it up but again poor ball security sees them cough it up, Raiders could have been away but the ball travels backwards, Kevin takes the ball but is a mile offside and it's a penalty to the Raiders. Raiders on the attack and Carey gets backslammed into the ground, knocking his head, players from both sides concerned as well as the crowd. Gets to his feet looks like his in lala land and is heading to the sideline.

No penalty and its a play the ball. Stuart to Daley make a break but the Broncos manage to get the ball, too much side to side stuff till now when Renouf makes a big break down the sideline but gets ankle tapped. Gets up and passes to langer who looks for Hancock but he coughs it up, so many tries on offer for both sides but so many just gone begging. Halftime and it's 6-6, both sides too guilty of making mistakes, the side that manages to maintain possession and shows patience will win this.

2nd Half report to come.

Noticed that game was on YouTube, been meaning to give it a watch.

Round 14, 2007.

BRONCOS 19, BULLDOGS 12

Brisbane Broncos
1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Steve Michaels
9. Shaun Berrigan
4. Justin Hodges
20. Craig Frawley
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Michael Ennis
8. Ben Hannant
22. Ian Lacey
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Corey Parker
12. Dane Carlaw
13. Tonie Carroll

15. Greg Eastwood
16. Brad Thorn
19. John Te Reo
23. Clifford Manua

You know that saying, 'a face only a mother can love'? This was a game only Brisbane Broncos fans could love. Which isn't to say it was a bad game or of poor quality. Far from it. However, it wasn't the type of game you'd go out of your way to see.

So just to set the scene, Brisbane were still struggling with a 4-8 record and to make matters more difficult had six players backing up from Origin II, twice as many as their opponents and conditions were cold and wet. Not much of an atmosphere either as only 10K made the trek out, so the entire night had this sombre feeling to it.

Dogs started strongly drawing first blood inside the opening ten but Brisbane showed good resolve to score back to back tries to take the lead. The try to Hodges in particular was exactly what the doctor ordered. A bit of luck involved as the charge down from Lockyer bounced perfectly for Hodges but Justin did well to beat the tackle of Patten and race 60m to score.

Canterbury threw a fair bit at Brisbane but the Broncos handled absorbed everything and came out of the sheds the stronger side. They extended their lead to 16-6 early through a nice try by Stevie Michaels who managed to step back inside and force his way over to give the Broncos some nice breathing room.

Canterbury continued to throw wave after wave of attack at the Broncos, but the Broncos resilience frustrated the Dogs and they started throwing silly passes and making mistakes which made the Broncos job a lot easier. A late penalty goal to Parker and field goal to Lockyer all but sowed things up for the Broncos late in the contest.

Finally with a minute left to play, SBW crashed over but by then it was far too late and the Broncos came home with two well earned competition points.

So what was different?

Brisbane just showed a lot more composure and resolve than they did in past games. Outside of Hodgo, I didn't think anybody was overly spectacular but they did their jobs which is more than what you could say about prior performances.

Couple of changes helped too. Frawley & Berro showed good poise in the backline while Ennis offered Lockyer plenty of support at halfback with a couple of good kicks that put pressure on the Bulldogs.

Not the most entertaining game of all time, but a really solid and important win for the Broncos.

Brad Thorn was captain that night wasn't he

Nah, Lockyer was present.

Thorn would captain them two weeks later when they'd face off against the Penny Panthers.

I was at that game.. But it didn't feel like I was at Suncorp Stadium.

The atmosphere just felt completely different, it felt depressing. But I guess our bad run had a lot to do with that. It seemed like everyone there was expecting another bad loss, but were just there because they were either members or were there to support the Broncos regardless of their form.

It wasn't the most entertaining game, but I was happy with the win. I was happy with any win that season..

Last edited:
Super Freak said:
But it didn't feel like I was at Suncorp Stadium.

Probably because it was played at Olympic Park/ANZ Stadium. :P

Lol! I must be thinking of a completely different game..

So, I had a look at my ticket collection and it turns out the game I was thinking of was Broncos vs Souths..

That explains why there were quite a few people wearing Souths jerseys.. I drank a lot of alcohol that night so it's all a blur.

Broncos vs Raiders 1991 Second Half Review

As promised here's the second half. 6-6 at halftime, pretty even match, plenty of mistakes from both sides plenty of points on offer too but neither side could take advantage.

Broncos get the first set and make some strong runs in their half through Plath, Plowman, Tessman, Allen, Langer tries to find touch doesn't but manages to stop near the touchline. Raiders first set in the second half and it's a tough set for them with good defence from the Broncos, sees them have to kick early, giving Hancock a chance to run it back and make good metres. Broncos starting to show some respect with the ball and the Broncos are finding chinks in the Raider's defence, Kerrod sends it to langer, sends to Kevin with a run around to Langer who sends it to Currie who offloads to Johns who makes a great halfbreak brought down by Stuart. They spread it wide through Langer and Walters to Plowman who is just brought down at the tryline. Kevin at dummy half spreads it to a well positioned Miles to score in the corner, great try!

Langer takes the attempt from outwide and while its a good attempt its waved away, 10-6. Currie takes the kick return, Broncos are working it up well out of their half until an unfortunate knock on, despite that Brisbane are looking the better side. A penalty gives the Raiders an opportunity to take the 2 and they do so, 10-8.

Raiders complete the following set and the Broncos are finding gaps but Langer passes a forward pass which again gives the Raiders a good position. Raiders manage to force Michael Hancock to kick it out for a line dropout for a repeat set of six. Raiders on attack spreads it outwide, Meninga makes a break knocking over several players and looks certain to score when his ruled to be pushed into touch before scoring, video replay suggests otherwise, so you can say the disallowed try in the first half for the Broncos is squared.

Hancock on a kick return breaks through one defender nearly makes it through a second in one of his trademark barging runs. Langer sees an opportunity and sends it outwide, Meninga read it and nearly takes the intercept but knocks on. Broncos win the scrum and Raiders are well and truly offside. Another first half style pass sees the raiders get the ball but to no avail, a tackle later Bell is pushed well and truly pushed into touch. Raiders win against the feed, but cough it up in the same tackle. Same problems as in the first half still here. Plowman makes a strong run, Dowling makes a strong run and gives it to Gillmeister who gets it off to Kevin Walters who gets it stripped of the ball and the Raiders are again on the attack.

Raiders look to make a break but a great tackle sees them cough it up, but guess what another tackle later Michael Hancock knocks on. I don't think I have seen a more error riddled game in superb conditions for a game of footy. Raiders get a penalty and deeper on attack, the brick takes it up hard but Tessman in a great tackle knocks him down. Dowling who knew the Raiders were short sends it to Kevin Walters who makes a break down the middle and sends an unmarked Steve Renouf under the posts. 14-6 kick to come. Matterson to take the kick in front and he makes it 16-8, Broncos back in control of this one.

Meninga kicks off and Currie returns strong, Broncos spread it wide, Miles makes a break but Matterson fumbles. The gaps are definitely there in the Raiders defence. Broncos get a penalty for Daley not getting up to play the ball properly and fair enough he basically just threw it through his legs. Broncos deep on attack but again make a meal of it. Raiders counter attack, but no dummy half so Plath dives on it. Broncos spreading it wide with Miles making a break just ankle tapped at the end, Langer puts upan attacking bomb, out wide Plowman tackles bell, ball comes loose and Renouf picks up and crosses for an easy try, great tackle from Plowman who has had a great game. Matterson for his second attempt out wide but fails to convert. Broncos are warming in this set, big hitups from the forwards sees them making good metres for langer who finds a well placed kick in the Raiders in goal but not too troubled in getting out of it.

Raiders working out of their half and are lucky to get a penalty for a clear knock on at play the ball. Raiders on attack in Broncos half, looking tired, very side to side stuff. Last tackle Steve Walters exploits some sloppy defence, Meninga misses and its 20-12.

Next set, the Raiders attack through a chip kick from Stuart who manages to keep the ball travelling forward through another kick, Daley is chasing fighting with Hancock to get the ball, Daley looks like he will win the chase but Hancock not only manages to get to the ball first but also manages to get out of the in goal despite a lot of pressure. Broncos finding it hard in first few sets of tackles to get out of their half till Renouf on the last tackle makes a break and is just brought down. Menings attempts the chip kick but Currie reads it all too easily taking it great, gets up and hands it back inside to a flying Michael Hancock to score under the posts for a well deserved try after saving what should have been a certain try.

Crowd figure 23,801 announced.

Matterson converts to make it 26-12 and the Broncos fans are very satisfied in what will be a rare win for the Broncos early in their existence. Langer makes a break To get it to Currie who is just chopped down by Currie who gets it to Kevin Walters who is tackled by offside Raiders players and the ball comes loose from an attempted pass, should have been a penalty. Broncos got some good field position in the raiders half but knock on. Daley makes a break and tries to kick infield to find a support player but the Broncos gain possession easily. Once again the Broncos look to be making a break through Kevin Walters but cough it up. Another kick from the Raiders sees Kerrod Walters to clean it up over the touchline before Martin can score and it's fulltime.

Final score 26-12 in a match that offered so much but was let down by such simple errors.

Currie, Hancock, Plowman are my top 3 standouts for the Broncos, while Stuart, Daley and Meninga for the Raiders in this match.

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Justwin
  • NSW stables
  • Midean
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brotherdu
  • dasherhalo
  • bb_gun
  • Organix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Sproj
  • Emanon
  • Wolfie
  • Rowdy124
  • Harry Sack
  • Brocko
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Hurrijo
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.