Match Review thread

Round 20 2014

Newcastle 16 (Roberts 2, Leilua tries; Gagai 1/2, Roberts 1/1 goals) defeat Sydney 10 (Minichiello, Nuuausala tries; Maloney 2/2 goals)

I remember the evening quite well, but the game was nothing more than a scoreline until now.

By no means was this a quality game of Rugby League. Neither team bothered to play much football, it was all very rehearsed with both teams concerning themselves more on defence than actual ball-playing ability. However, as far as bragging rights go, this maybe the Knights best victory of 2014.

No Boyd, Gidley, Uate or McManus, the Knights were considered long odds against the defending premiers. However, what I didn't realise was that they went through the entire 2nd half without Jarrod Mullen who suffered some sort of abdominal injury in the first half, forcing a reshuffle that saw Dane Gagai of all people play five eighth for the majority of the second half.

Now, the cynic may make the argument that the Knights were ultimately gifted the game. That, they were unlucky that the video referee overruled on two on-field tries and that in the 60th minute, Sione Mata'utia took the ball dead in the lead up to their opening try of the game that also saw JWH binned. And I would have to sympathise with that view but considering what the Knights were up against and how the Roosters played the game, I thought the better team won.

Tyrone Roberts was an easy choice for Man of the Match. He was the go to man for the Knights and in that brief window towards the end of the game, really stood up and took the game by the scruff of the neck. Otherwise, it was a total team performance that would require all sorts of nit-picking to determine the second and first runners up.

State of Origin game 1 2014

After 34 years of brutal Origin warfare the concept reached its 100th game. The game lived up to expectations as both states put on a grueling and wonderful game that exemplified what's great about Origin and Rugby League which concluded with NSW holding out a determined Maroons outfit going 1 up in the series and sticking it up to the Queensland press who I thought were very cocky in the buildup.

1st Half;

Queensland began well in their quest to win 9 straight series. Boyd scored early from a well played set move from a scrum. Thurston narrowly missed the conversion but the Maroons were 4-0 up but a crisis hit when Cronk went off with a broken arm and DCE came on. After being on the Back foot early NSW began to settle and suddenly began to control the game. Hodkinson forced a drop out which camped NSW in QLD's half which paid off as Hayne sent J-Morris down the sideline, Josh combined with his twin Brett who scored. Hodkinson missed the conversion but added a goal in front from a penalty soon after to give NSW the lead. NSW were seizing the opportunity left by Cronk's departure and they increased the lead as Hayne went over to score despite the hint of a double movement. Hodkinson was again unable to convert and the margin remained at 6. The score was left unchanged at halftime and the teams went of for a well deserved rest. NSW had the momentum as Queensland were struggling without their general Cronk and their cause wasn't helped by Thurstons off day.

2nd Half;

NSW continued to control the game as the Maroons looked out on there feet and the Blues managed to increase the lead to 8 after Hodkinson knocked over a simple goal from a penalty. The Maroons at last started to find some momentum and the game swung there way at the 55th minute mark as Boyd went over for his second try after some good lead up work from Inglis. Thurston again missed the conversion and the score was 12-8 with 24 to go. The game turned into a sea sawing and gripping encounter as both sides strove for the crucial score. Queensland for the last 10 minutes threw everything they had at the NSW line but the courageous and battered Blues were up to every challenge which was never better examplified when B-Morris held up Boyd whilst carrying a fractured shoulder which he got when scoring the first NSW try and when J-Morris dragged down Inglis whilst hobbling on a bad knee. Helped by some questionable referring decisions the Maroons continued their charge but were denied a winner twice by Jarryd Hayne. The last play came as NSW gave away a penalty inside their 10 gifting Queensland one more shot. The Maroons moved the ball left but Scott tackled and stuck to Slater inside the 10 and desperate NSW defenders converged on him preventing him for getting the ball away. Referee S-Hayne blew full time ending a thrilling game that will be remembered as a classic and one of the greatest ever wins by NSW in the origin arena.

Notes

- It was extremely fitting the 100th game of Origin contained such high quality Rugby League. Just shows what a wonderful concept it is and how much it means to the people of Queensland and New South Wales and to Rugby League fans around the world.

- I felt the turning point of the game was when Cronk went off injured. Queensland were going along smoothly but when Cronk went off they had to go to plan B which I dont think the Maroons worked on enough as I remember hearing that they were having a chilled preparation.

- I will admit the tackle by Reynolds was extremely dangerous and he should've received a longer suspension but you just go with whatever floats your boat in the end. Left a blight on what was a good performance from him.

- Hodkinson despite missing 3 kicks at goal played very well on debut in the publicly pressured NSW no 7 jersey. Held his line in defense and caused some problems with his kicking game.

- From a NSW perspective this was one of the greatest wins I've ever experienced and one of the Blues best in origin and one of the best efforts in Origin by any team. To win in tough circumstances against an awesome Queensland team at Lang Park with players playing busted and after being ridiculed in the media is something special.

Broncoman Man of the Match

Jarryd Hayne. Both sides had some great performances and a few others could lay claim especially Gallen but Hayne was head and shoulders above. He scored a try and played a part in the other, came up with try saving tackles, broke the line often, was dangerous all night and the Blues wouldn't have won without him IMO. He got the official honors as well.

New South Wales 12: Tries by Brett Morris and Jarryd Hayne, 2 goals by Trent Hodkinson
Queensland 8: 2 tries by Darius Boyd

New South Wales

1: Jarryd Hayne
2: Brett Morris
3: Michael Jennings
4: Josh Morris
5: Daniel Tupou
6: Josh Reynolds
7: Trent Hodkinson
8: Aaron Woods
9: Robbie Farah
10: James Tamou
11: Beau Scott
12: Ryan Hoffman
13: Paul Gallen (captain)

14: Anthony Watmough
15: Trent Merrin
16: Luke Lewis
17: Tony Williams

Coach: Laurie Daley

Queensland

1: Billy Slater
2: Darius Boyd
3: Greg Inglis
4: Justin Hodges
5: Brent Tate
6: Jonathen Thurston
7: Cooper Cronk
8: Matt Scott
9: Cameron Smith (captain)
10: Nate Myles
18: Chris McQueen
12: Matt Gillet
13: Corey Parkerv

14: Daly Cherry Evans
15: Ben Teo
16: Aiden Guerra
17: Josh Papalli

Coach: Mal Meninga

Best game of 2014 even if the result wasn't what I wanted it to be.

Both teams showed plenty of guts but ultimately goal-kicking proved to be the difference with NSW's decision to go for two penalty goals being justified in the end.

Was a strange game live. Seemed like it was poised for a typical last minute Queensland try but it just never came through. I think that sort of typified the series in a sense. If it was any other year, Queensland would have found a way to win but NSW were just too determined in the end.

RE: Reynolds - it isn't a matter of what floats your boat, rather it's just a crock he was let off. Don't think it was a NSW lead conspiracy, although there's definitely something on the nose about the Dogs and the judiciary as highlighted by Watmough being hung out to dry after Game II.

Can't believe people were saying 'Smith and co. ruined Origin'. This was right up there with any Origin game in history.

Lately I've been watching the odd 2014 game just to fill in the gaps. The last game I watched was the R24 clash between Warriors v Roosters which basically cost the Warriors their spot in the finals. Only caught the first half or so before I succumbed to sleep but it just seemed as if the Warriors were a little short on strike power. They couldn't get the ball in SJ, Tomkins or Hurrell's hands enough.

NSW were seizing the opportunity left by Cronk's departure and they increased the lead as Hayne went over to score despite the hint of a double movement.

I can't believe a lot of people still have a problem with that try being awarded.

I've had a look at it a million times. Slow mo, frame by frame, different angles and while it was very close, I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it.

It was all momentum and he didn't have a hand on him when he scored. Thurston had let go.

Last edited:
I can't believe a lot of people still have a problem with that try being awarded.

I've had a look at it a million times. Slow mo, frame by frame, different angles and while it was very close, I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it.

It was all momentum and he didn't have a hand on him when he scored. Thurston had let go.

Plus he just did what he normally does and keeps rolling forward after being tackled :P

State of Origin Game II 1982
Lang Park, Queensland

Queensland 11 (Miles, Ribot, Vautin tries; Scott 1/3, Lewis 0/1 goals) defeated New South Wales 7 (Izzard try; Melrose 2/3 goals)

Queensland
1. Colin Scott 2. John Ribot 3. Graham Quinn* 4. Gene Miles 5. Brad Backer
6. Wally Lewis (c) 7. Mark Murray
8. Norm Carr
9. Paul McCabe 13. Rohan Hancock
11. Paul Khan 12. John Dowling 14. Rod Morris

Bench: 10. Paul Vautin

Coach: Arthur Beetson

New South Wales
1. Greg Bretnall 2. Tony Melrose 3. Brad Izzard 4. Steve Rogers 5. Ziggy Niszczot
6. Alan Thompson 7. Steve Mortimer
8. Ray Price
9. John Muggleton 10. Tony Rampling
11. Craig Young 12. Max Krillich 13. John Coveney

14. Brett Kenny* 15. Royce Ayliffe

Coach: Frank Stanton

Queensland bounce back after a disappointing performance to square the series up 1 a piece. The Maroons played far more fluid footy than their southern rivals and presented less opportunities giving them the edge in a rugged affair.

BP Man of the Match - Paul McCabe

In my view, really summed the Maroons performance up. The Manly Backrow was really disappointing in Game 1 but bounced back really well, making plenty of half-breaks and coming up with some very important tackles. The official man of the match was Rod Morris who was certainly deserving but for me, McCabe just had the better all-round performance.

How Did Wally Play? Was the best half on the field. Didn't get as involved as others but still came up with some very important plays that enabled Queensland to stay on top.

Other Notes

- One Game Wonders: NSW: Tony Melrose (South Sydney) & QLD: Graham Quinn (St. George). Neither were all that great in their one and only game. Quinn is best remembered for being palmed off by a 20 year old, Brad Izzard, in the best try of the game. Melrose on the other hand was beaten at least four times by Ribot out-wide and missed the conversion on Izzard's try which was important since goal-kicking was a big reason why he was brought into the team. In fairness, Melrose was a centre at club level, not a wing and that lack of experience shone through.

- The game is probably best remembered as the debut of the 'Grasshopper' Barry Gommersall. A lot has been made about his favouritism towards the Maroons but I've got to say in this game he was fairly even. Queensland probably got one or two calls their way, particularly late when Bretnall was called for being tackled in-goal when he had actually made it out but really all Barry did as far as I've noticed is that instead of repacking scrums, he just blew penalties based on whoever mucked the scrum up.

- Colin Scott had one of the worst attempts at goal I've ever seen. It was a tough one, but the ball barely went 10m

- Miles had a decent game in his starting debut. Made a few mistakes as the game wore on, but created plenty of head-aches early for the Blues including a strong effort to score the first try of the evening.

- Vautin came on late for Carr I believe and redeemed himself scoring the match winner with the game ticking down. It was a pretty simple try, with one of the big boppers throwing an offload, Hancock accepting the pass before putting Vautin into space.

Some people are just simply sore losers who can't cope a loss on the chin and they just find a way to blame the referee no matter how wrong they maybe. I remember that try easily and Hayne wasn't held in the tackle and there was momentum in the tackle and he had every right to plant the ball down and keep moving.

Before anyone accuses me of being NSW bias I would've said the same thing it was Slater who scored that.

Some people are just simply sore losers who can't cope a loss on the chin and they just find a way to blame the referee no matter how wrong they maybe. I remember that try easily and Hayne wasn't held in the tackle and there was momentum in the tackle and he had every right to plant the ball down and keep moving.

Before anyone accuses me of being NSW bias I would've said the same thing it was Slater who scored that.

Haha if you can't see how shit the reffing was then you are being bias. And whilst Hayne might not have been tackled (There only has to be a finger on him and there was) there was absolutely no momentum! He rolled himself. That is ridiculous. Hayne hasn't played a ball where he was actually tackled in over a year.

State of Origin Game III 1982
Sydney Cricket Ground, New South Wales

Queensland 10 (Hancock, Lewis tries; Meninga 2/3 goals) defeated New South Wales 5 (Duke try; Cronin 1/2 goals)

This was the worst decider I've ever seen. Neither team could hold onto the ball and the game itself was decided on the infamous Sigsworth to Duke error. Wikipedia tells me NSW were penalised incorrectly in the build up for feeding the scrum wrong, even though it was Mark Murray who fed the ball, so it just goes to show how scrappy the affair was.

In saying, Queensland were deserved victors. They were the first to score points and were seemingly better in all facets as NSW struggled to gel. It's hardly surprising, as NSW made 9 changes to their side. In combination with their poor build-up (they only ever ran one session together) it's clear to see that the Blues biggest challenge was their own complacency.

New South Wales
1. Phil Sigworth* 2. Phil Duke* 3. Brad Izzard 4. Mick Cronin 5. Terry Fahey
6. Brett Kenny 7. Steve Mortimer
8. Ray Price
9. Les Boyd 10. Paul Merlo*
11. Don McKinnon* 12. Max Krillich (c) 13. Royce Ayliffe
Reserves: 14. Alan Thompson 15. Craig Young

Queensland
1. Mitch Brennan 2. John Ribot 3. Gene Miles 4. Mal Meninga 5. Kerry Boustead
8. Norm Carr
9. Paul McCabe 10. Rohan Hancock
11. Paul Khan 12. John Dowling 13. Rod Morris
Reserves: 14. Paul Vautin 15. Tony Currie*

BP Man of the Match: Wally Lewis by default. Had a hand in both tries for the Maroons, throwing a lovely cut-out ball to Murray in the lead up to Hancock's try before scoring one himself. Not his best game by any means, struggled to get involved as Queensland kept turning possession over before he'd get a chance to do anything with the ball and got himself binned for a silly incident involving McKinnon. Lewis was getting up after being tackled on the last when McKinnon stepped over him and Wally threw the ball at him in disgust. McKinnon must have stepped on his hands, but the replay was inconclusive.

Farewell...Phil Duke, Terry Fahey, Don McKinnon, Royce Ayliffe, Paul Merlo (NSW) Norm Carr, Rohan Hancock, Paul Khan, John Dowling, Rod Morris.

Duke is going to be remembered for the mistake in his own in-goal, but it was hardly his fault. It was a silly option from Sigworth and sadly it appears Duke copped the full brunt of the blame. Outside of that, I thought he was a stand-out, making good metres off kick returns and did well to finish off the Blues raid down their left hand side.

I don't remember anything about Fahey which is never a good sign. I don't think he was particularly good in either game of his career and in a game as bad as this, that's a bad sign.

McKinnon was a one and done player, which is unfortunate because I thought he was the Blues best. Everytime he had the ball, he'd just march through the Maroons defence and it took a lot of defenders to stop him.

Ayliffe kept trying to keep the ball alive, but some of his passes were pretty short sighted. Despite playing two games prior, this was his first real opportunity as he started and I think he was guilty of being too impatient.

Merlo is a contender for the worst NSW side. Made a lot of handling errors and don't remember anything positive about his game at all.

Carr came in for Vautin after Queensland's poor performance in Game 1 and I thought he provided the Maroons more confidence in the middle. Didn't think he was particularly great here as he fumbled quite a bit, but a decent contributor to the Maroons early success.

I could be wrong, but I believe Hancock was actually picked out of Queensland Country Rugby League and only ever played the one series. One of the smarter selections Beetson made was shifting Hancock to the backrow for Game 2, it did wonders for Hancock who was absolutely tireless in the middle and I believe he threw the final pass in the lead up to Vautin's try which wrapped Game 2 up for Queensland. Scored first points in the decider following Murray in support before suffering a cheekbone fracture only moments later. He'd rate up there in the Adam Mogg category for me.

Khan was a very erratic player who could throw an awesome pass one moment, then do something really silly the next time. However, I respected his toughness in the middle. I remember him taking it to the Blues forwards a lot and it's hard not to appreciate those sort of plays in this arena.

Dowling was another one series wonder. A veteran hooker who was playing for St. George at the time, Dowling was an uncompromising player who wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

Morris was a tireless contributor for the Maroons who tried to make every single play of his count. At this point, I'd have him and Beetson as my front row as a GOAT Origin team.

2013 NRL Grand Final; Sydney Roosters V Manly Sea Eagles

Exactly 11 years after winning the 2002 premiership the Sydney Roosters captured their 12th premiership defeating the highly competitive Manly Sea Eagles for the 4th time in a year 26-18 in a pulsating and exciting Grand Final.

After a couple of seasons struggling after their 2010 Grand Final appearance the Roosters set the trend in 2013 recording the best defence and attack and capturing their first minor premiership since 2004 whilst Manly had been living up to expectations under Toovey fighting their way through the season finishing in 4th place and making the Grand Final after a titanic 4-0 loss in the first week of the finals, holding of a determined Sharks 24-18 and coming from behind against Souths to qualify for another Grand Final.

1st half;

Manly got stuck into their stuff early as the Roosters struggled to gel inside the first 20 minutes. They made the most of it through winger Jorge Taufua who was playing his 50th first grade game who scored in the corner after Maloney put a kick out on the full and SBW dropped the ball in a tackle. Lyon missed the conversion but he brought up a goal from a penalty shortly after to put Manly ahead 6-0 just before the 20 minute mark. The leaping Daniel Tupou must've scared the shit out of David Williams as he failed to contest a bomb as the Roosters levelled the game in the 25th minute after keeping the ball alive on the last tackle inside Manly's 20, Maloney put up a bomb towards Williams wing and Tupou flew like a Qantas jet snapping the ball out of the air and planting it down in the corner. Maloney landed the goal from touch and the score was 6-6. Maloney landed another goal from a penalty at halftime and the Roosters were up 8-6.

2nd half;

After maybe receiving a spray from Toovey Manly came out firing after halftime. 2 minutes after the break DCE broke through the Roosters line and kicked for Lyon who was awarded a penalty try after Aubusson looked to hold him back. Manly added another 5 minutes later after Foran and B.Stewart combined to put Matai over next to the posts to put Manly 10 ahead. The game looked to be getting away from the Roosters but they got back in the game after Pearce sent Guerra over to score after some unbelievable defence from George Rose. 5 minutes later after being contained well most of the night SBW popped an offload on halfway to Maloney who passed short to Minichiello who lobbed the ball over to SKD who streaked over. Maloney landed the conversion and the Roosters were back in front. The game became an epic contest as both sides strived for the score that would win the premiership. Manly got a great chance to do so 13 minutes from the end but blew it as David Williams dropped the ball inside the 10 and then conceded a penalty getting the Roosters into Manly's half. With 8 minutes to go Maloney put in a grubber that looked like it was going to go dead before Jennings came from nowhere and planted the ball down inches from the dead ball line. Maloney landed the goal to put the Roosters in the box seat with an 8 point lead. Manly had no answers and the Roosters won a thrilling contest 26-18 winning a deserved premiership and their 12th.

Notes

- If I was to look back at all the Grand Finals since 2006 this game would easily be the best one. Plenty of exciting moments, a little bit of controversy, big plays, 2 high quality teams putting in an enthralling battle and a quality game.

- On the penalty try; I thought Lyon was held back although unintentionally from Aubusson and I thought the penalty try was a fair enough call.

- The Referee's missed a forward pass from Minichiello in SKD's try and made some contentious mistakes during the game which is a sign that every team is on the end of shit calls.

- SBW didn't play as well as I remember. He came up with some very important plays in the second half but he was well contained by Manly all through the game which isn't really his fault. He still played well and played a good game by any standards. I would give his performance a 7.5-10.

- George Rose came up with one of the best try savers I've ever seen on a rampaging Sam Moa who played a blinder

- The booing DCE got when he was awarded the CCM was very poor form

- Trent Robinson joined the elusive club of coaches to win a premiership in their first season.

- David Williams played possibly the worst grand final performance ever

- Full credit to Boyd Corner for making it onto the field after doing his ankle against Newcastle the week before. He is the winner of my newly invented John Sattler award.

Despite the Roosters winning they didn't really have any major standout players but most of the Roosters played good games. On the other hand Daly Cherry Evans was absolutely immense in a losing side and would've been my choice if I had to give it. He was another one of those players that played a lot better than I remember. He got the official honours as well.

Sydney Roosters 26: Tries by Daniel Tupou, Aiden Guerra, Shaun Kenney-Dowall and Michael Jennings, 5 goals by James Maloney
Manly Sea Eagles 18: Tries by Jorge Taufua and Steve Matai and a penalty try, 3 goals by Jamie Lyon

Sydney Roosters

1: Anthony Minichiello
2: Daniel Tupou
3: Michael Jennings
4: Shaun Kenny-Dowall
5: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
6: Jamie Lyon
7: Mitchell Pearce
8: Jared Waerea-Hargraves
9: Jake Friend
10: Sam Moa
11: Aiden Guerra
12: Sonny Bill-Williams
13: Frank Paul-Nuuausala

14: Daniel Mortimer
15: Mitch Aubusson
16: Boyd Cordner
17: Luke O'Donnel

Coach: Trent Robinson

Manly Sea Eagles

1: Brett Stewart
2: Jorge Taufua
3: Jamie Lyon
4: Steve Matai
5: David Williams
6: Kieran Foran
7: Daly Cherry-Evans
8: Brenton Lawrence
9: Matt Ballin
10: Brent Kite
11: Anthony Watmough
12: Justin Horo
13: Glenn Stewart

14: David Gower
15: Jamie Buhrer
16: Tom Symonds
17: George Rose

Coach: Geoff Toovey

A little bit of controversy?

Are you sure that's the best way to describe it?

2001 2nd Semi-Final; Cronulla Sharks V Canterbury Bulldogs

A week after beating Brisbane 22-6 in the first week of the finals after finishing 6th the Sharks advanced to the 3rd week of the finals blowing the Bulldogs away 52-10 and knocking them out in straight sets, in another high scoring finals match, the night after the Broncos defeated the Dragons 44-28.

1st half;

Cronulla came firing out of the blocks and by the 18th minute lead 20-0 after Nick Graham, Jason Ferris and Preston Campbell had shot through for tries and Mat Rogers had landed 4 goals from as many attempts. The Bulldogs had to play catch up footy from the start and tried to get their way back in the game but a desperate attempt from Shane Marteene was stopped by a last ditch tackle from Colin Best. Best managed to stop that one but was unable to do so a second time as the Bulldogs managed to score through Willie Talau. El Masri failed to convert and the score remained 20-4. Momentum was looking to swing the Bulldogs way but a shocking pass from Trindall was snapped up by Rogers who went over to regain the 20 point buffer just before halftime. The score remained unchanged at the Sharks held a 24-4 advantage.

2nd half;

The second half followed the same story as Cronulla put away any hope of a Bulldogs comeback putting on 28 points after a tight first 15 minutes. Campbell went over for his second try just after halftime but the Bulldogs hung in there as Britt popped a miracle offload to Steve Price who scored to bring the margin back to 20 points. Cronulla took advantage of a tiring Canterbury team who didn't have any answers and went on a scoring spree in the last quarter of the game as Martin Lang, Ferris, Stuart and Best went over for tries and Rogers landing 3 goals for a personally tally of 18 points.

Notes

-
I find it quite surprising that this Sharks outfit failed to win a premiership. This side had some true enforces up front and some quality backs that could dazzle crowds and embarrass their opposition but they just failed at the last hurdle all the time. They were defeated by Newcastle 16-10 in the preliminary final the next week and they year after lost by the same score to the Warriors. 1999 was their year but they were defeated 24-8 by an Anthony Mundine inspired Dragons in the preliminary final

- Despite scoring 52 points and playing some thrilling attacking footy the Sharks weren't 100% clinical as they still made around 15 errors

- Most of Cronulla's tries beside from the ones in the last 20 minutes when the Bulldogs had nothing left in the tank and let in soft tries, Cronulla scored from basically just picking out holes in the Bulldogs defensive line through the middle. Canterbury's defence was all over the place most of the game and the score is a good example of that

- Darren Britt played his final game of Rugby League in Australia and was by far the best Bulldog on the ground. Hit the line hard, popped some great offloads and took on Martin Lang and rattled him.

- Lang scored the 2nd of his 2 career tries

- This game was played a few days after the 9/11 attack on the USA and there was a minutes silence before the game.

Preston Campbell. The Sharks had some great performers but Campbell was playing one of the bests seasons of his career and his running game and precision blew the Bulldogs away from the start and had them playing catch up from the start and he also managed to slice through for 2 tries. This was him Dally M winning year btw

Cronulla Sharks 52: Tries by Preston Campbell 2, Jason Ferris 2, Colin Best, Nick Graham, Martin Lang, Luke Stuart and Mat Rogers, 7 goals by Matt Rogers and a goal by Adam Dykes

Canterbury Bulldogs 10: Tries by Willie Talau and Steve Price and a goal by Hazem El Masri

Cronulla Sharks

1: David Peachey
2: Matt Rogers
3: Paul Mellor
4: Chris McKenna
5: Colin Best
6: Adam Dykes
7: Preston Campbell
8: Jason Stevens
9: Jason Ferris
10: Martin Lang
11: Nathan Long
12: Paul McNicholas
13: Nick Graham

14: Chris Beattie
15: Andrew Pierce
16: Luke Stuart
17: Dean Triester

Coach: John Lang

Canterbury Bulldogs

1: Luke Pattern
2: Hazem El Masri
3: Nigel Vagana
4: Wille Talau
5: Shane Marteene
13: Darren Smith
6: Darrel Trindall
8: Darren Britt (captain)
19: Adam Perry
10: Steve Price
18: Willie Mason
12: Jamie Feeney
13: Steve Reardon

9: Corey Hughes
14: Paul Rauhihi
16: Dennis Scott
17: Adam Peek

Coach: Steve Folkes

Round 5, 2007
Suncorp Stadium

GOLD COAST TITANS 28 v BRISBANE BRONCOS 16

Christmas has come early. I've been able to access the way back machine and check out a lot of matches I didn't pay much mind to, beginning with 07.

07 is an odd year. I've been meaning to discuss it in that old History thread but the truth of the matter is my memory is foggy. I consider the entire season a mere aberration, a year where most teams struggled and the best team cheated. As a Broncos fan, I've never felt more conflicted in my life. We had a good side but played terribly only to have a bad side and play extremely well, it was two bites of the same bitter fruit.

This game was a good example of the latter. Brisbane had just won their first game of the season and were looking to make amends after a slow start to the season against a very raw Gold Coast Titans outfit.

It was a strange evening for the Broncos. Not just within the 80 minutes, but also how they entered the game as the away team. Since the Gold Coast were awaiting the completion of Skilled Stadium, they played the match at Suncorp and drew an impressive 47K. This meant the Broncos had to wear their away uniform, prepare in the away sheds and all the usual Broncos pre-game entertainment was nixed.

It sort of set the scene for the evening. Brisbane had plenty of early opportunities to get on the scoreboard but kept shooting themselves in the foot time and time again. Even after all these years, I was very frustrated with their play as they'd do all the hard stuff, only to burn through their opportunities with unforced errors or pedestrian play.

Eventually Michaels coughed up the ball while making a routine kick return and the Titans made them pay by scoring consecutive tries.

Still, time was on the Broncos side. A kick return blunder by Matt Hilder enabled Karmichael Hunt to score a simple try running a second-man play. Unfortunately despite a lot of possession, the Broncos were unable to add more points and went into the break 6 points down.

It didn't get better in the second half. Brisbane kept shooting themselves in the foot and Henderson crossed off a neat outside inside play from the Titans, the game was all over with 20 to play at 22-6 Titans.

Through out the game, I was trying to figure out how I would have voted if a BHQ poll was in place. Outside of a couple of good touches, nobody played well and the team lacked cohesion. In fact, let me expand on that last point. Not only were they playing like individuals, the team really struggled to get into any type of formation. This meant that the forwards would struggle to do the bare basics and that's hit the ball up hard, make good metres and get quick play the balls. Instead they'd do their best to catch a Berrigan pass that was as sloppy as a pig in mud, reconfigure their line and be met just as they're standing flat footed. It was painful to watch, only accentuated further whenever they'd commit a basic error, give away a soft penalty or do something unbelievably stupid like putting their foot over the sideline while they're at dummy-half. (Tate...)

Titans deserved their victory but the Broncos basically gifted it to them which was the theme of the past two Suncorp encounters. Thinking on it, I would have been calling for Berro to be moved out of hooker and either onto the bench where he could play a number of roles and moved TC to the backrow instead of the make-shift centre role he was playing. Tate would have taken his spot with Michaels and Boyd on each wing. I also would have been making moves to replace Michaels with Kemp. If I was feeling desperate (which I would have been) I would have been calling for Davies or Tupou to be selected.

Watched the Round 6 07 clash against the Knights earlier and been watching the Rd7 07 clash against the Storm. May write up my thoughts later.

May I ask how you watch all these old games [MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION]? I'd love to go back and watch a few of my favourites.

Ah, the Round 6 game against the Knights. I still remember the look on John's face at the end of the game lol.

I'm so glad we ruined his farewell.

State of Origin Game III 1982
Sydney Cricket Ground, New South Wales

Queensland 10 (Han****, Lewis tries; Meninga 2/3 goals) defeated New South Wales 5 (Duke try; Cronin 1/2 goals)

This was the worst decider I've ever seen. Neither team could hold onto the ball and the game itself was decided on the infamous Sigsworth to Duke error. Wikipedia tells me NSW were penalised incorrectly in the build up for feeding the scrum wrong, even though it was Mark Murray who fed the ball, so it just goes to show how scrappy the affair was.

In saying, Queensland were deserved victors. They were the first to score points and were seemingly better in all facets as NSW struggled to gel. It's hardly surprising, as NSW made 9 changes to their side. In combination with their poor build-up (they only ever ran one session together) it's clear to see that the Blues biggest challenge was their own complacency.

New South Wales
1. Phil Sigworth* 2. Phil Duke* 3. Brad Izzard 4. Mick Cronin 5. Terry Fahey
6. Brett Kenny 7. Steve Mortimer
8. Ray Price
9. Les Boyd 10. Paul Merlo*
11. Don McKinnon* 12. Max Krillich (c) 13. Royce Ayliffe
Reserves: 14. Alan Thompson 15. Craig Young

Queensland
1. Mitch Brennan 2. John Ribot 3. Gene Miles 4. Mal Meninga 5. Kerry Boustead
8. Norm Carr
9. Paul McCabe 10. Rohan Han****
11. Paul Khan 12. John Dowling 13. Rod Morris
Reserves: 14. Paul Vautin 15. Tony Currie*

BP Man of the Match: Wally Lewis by default. Had a hand in both tries for the Maroons, throwing a lovely cut-out ball to Murray in the lead up to Han****'s try before scoring one himself. Not his best game by any means, struggled to get involved as Queensland kept turning possession over before he'd get a chance to do anything with the ball and got himself binned for a silly incident involving McKinnon. Lewis was getting up after being tackled on the last when McKinnon stepped over him and Wally threw the ball at him in disgust. McKinnon must have stepped on his hands, but the replay was inconclusive.

Farewell...Phil Duke, Terry Fahey, Don McKinnon, Royce Ayliffe, Paul Merlo (NSW) Norm Carr, Rohan Han****, Paul Khan, John Dowling, Rod Morris.

Duke is going to be remembered for the mistake in his own in-goal, but it was hardly his fault. It was a silly option from Sigworth and sadly it appears Duke copped the full brunt of the blame. Outside of that, I thought he was a stand-out, making good metres off kick returns and did well to finish off the Blues raid down their left hand side.

I don't remember anything about Fahey which is never a good sign. I don't think he was particularly good in either game of his career and in a game as bad as this, that's a bad sign.

McKinnon was a one and done player, which is unfortunate because I thought he was the Blues best. Everytime he had the ball, he'd just march through the Maroons defence and it took a lot of defenders to stop him.

Ayliffe kept trying to keep the ball alive, but some of his passes were pretty short sighted. Despite playing two games prior, this was his first real opportunity as he started and I think he was guilty of being too impatient.

Merlo is a contender for the worst NSW side. Made a lot of handling errors and don't remember anything positive about his game at all.

Carr came in for Vautin after Queensland's poor performance in Game 1 and I thought he provided the Maroons more confidence in the middle. Didn't think he was particularly great here as he fumbled quite a bit, but a decent contributor to the Maroons early success.

I could be wrong, but I believe Han**** was actually picked out of Queensland Country Rugby League and only ever played the one series. One of the smarter selections Beetson made was shifting Han**** to the backrow for Game 2, it did wonders for Han**** who was absolutely tireless in the middle and I believe he threw the final pass in the lead up to Vautin's try which wrapped Game 2 up for Queensland. Scored first points in the decider following Murray in support before suffering a cheekbone fracture only moments later. He'd rate up there in the Adam Mogg category for me.

Khan was a very erratic player who could throw an awesome pass one moment, then do something really silly the next time. However, I respected his toughness in the middle. I remember him taking it to the Blues forwards a lot and it's hard not to appreciate those sort of plays in this arena.

Dowling was another one series wonder. A veteran hooker who was playing for St. George at the time, Dowling was an uncompromising player who wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

Morris was a tireless contributor for the Maroons who tried to make every single play of his count. At this point, I'd have him and Beetson as my front row as a GOAT Origin team.

Hancock was from Toowoomba Wattles and never left there. He played for Queensland before Origin and went on the '82 Roo Tour.

Played Origin in '80, '81 and '82.

His family owned the meat works at Killarney, he got offers to leave- a big one from the Dogs but never wanted to leave.

Strangely he was one of the one players that wasn't going to be allowed to play pre '82 series because he wouldn't sign the loyalty agreements with Miles, Murray, Morris and Scott. They had other players named to take over.

Last edited:
You inspired me to grab a dvd off the shelf, although no way I will write as much you guys do.

Broncos v Sharks 1989- Play off for fifth.

Broncos.

1. Currie
2. Hancock
3. Jackson
4. Johns
5. Plowman
6. Lewis
7. French
8. Tronc
9. Consecu
10. Backo
11. Le Man
12. Miles
13. Matterson

15. Kilroy
35. Langer
28. Duffy
27. Gee

Sharks

1. Docking
14. Wilson
3. ET
4. McGaw
5. Davidson
6. Speechly
7. Bishop
8. Picken
9. Porter
10. Lee
11. Stains
12. Miller
13. Hatch

2. Coleman
15. Papas
16. Quinn
17. Harris

Hancock scored a good try after Lewis set up a great try down the left hand side after Sharks had coverted two penalties. Matterson converted the try and a penalty. 8-4 Broncos.

Plowman off Kilroy on after 20.

Sharks throwing it around like no man's business and Broncos struggling to hold. They keep kicking it into touch though and slowing the game down, should be doing the opposite.

Broncos have no idea what Docking and McGaw are doing and can't stop them.

Wilson scores for the Sharks in the right hand corner, good hands by ET. Conversion missed- 8-8.

Lewis dangerous everytime he touches the ball but not much help from anyone else in attack.

Miller scores under the sticks going blind to open off the ruck and steps back in pasted Backo and Currie- converted Sharks 14-8 at half time.

Broncos let the kick off go dead- Alf on.

Penalty Sharks for some reason, Backo doesn't seem to know why.

Sharks take the two points and miss 14-8.

Wally goes over after a chip from Alf he regathers and gives it to Jackson to Le Man to Lewis. French misses gets the two points.

14-14.

Poor return set by Broncos and they lose the ball- Speechly scores and Sharks convert to lead 20-14.
Speechly goes at French on the left and finds ET, too fast and no chance.

Sharks 26-14.

Docking kills it for a Hatch try near the sticks. Sharks 32-14

Sharks in again, Davidson and Broncos shot at 38-14. Season over.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Rookie Alan
  • Dash
  • The Don
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • Behold
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.