Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Matt Gillett retirement could hand Broncos
a salary cap windfall

Travis Meyn and Chris Honnery,
The Courier-Mail
October 31, 2019 6:24pm

Last edited by a moderator:

Parker is in more than half of these photos lol. Is it just a coincidence? Did he make this?
Yeah he posted it to his social media accounts

Gee I really hope he wasnt forced into retirment...
Listening to him try and remember his pre-written speech emphasising his cooked shoulder through tears, you can’t help but wonder.

There’s a couple guys i wouldn’t mind if the club bullied into retirement but Gillo isn’t one of them. It would be really hard to support a club if it came out they did that to a guy like Matt.

what a champion he’s been for our club.

Listening to him try and remember his pre-written speech emphasising his cooked shoulder through tears, you can’t help but wonder.

The same thing crossed my mind as I watched it

There’s a couple guys i wouldn’t mind if the club bullied into retirement but Gillo isn’t one of them. It would be really hard to support a club if it came out they did that to a guy like Matt.

If it's not his shoulder it would be his neck, dude is cooked, he might have handled Q Cup but he's spent in the NRL.

I think he had to retire. This was just to ensure its salary cap exempt so he gets his money.

Yet another nonsense article about players we could (but inevitably won't) be signing next season.

Croft is a realistic target but by no means anything close to the solution to our problems.

Last edited:
Man the tin foil hats are out in force.

Even on the off chance he was pressured to retire, he would've been given some ludicrous incentives, like guaranteed job & salary after work, media opportunities, coaching staff opportunities, etc.

He certainly wouldn't be left out in the cold, we look after our own.

The same thing crossed my mind as I watched it

I think it was just a combination of his emotions and stumbling over words trying to keep it together, the fact it was on his phone and not paper (seriously?) and he’s always been a bit of a footy-cliche guy in general when it comes to the media and he probably lent on that a bit heavy to try and stay on point

Last edited:
He was off the regular script of credit to the boys, team effort, score more tries. He's a footy player, add the emotion, getting up at a presser to say you're leaving the sport you have grown up with would suck, and would be difficult.

Thanks to Gillo for the effort he put in over the years. Great player and bloke. Sad day but needed to happen. I thought he was done after Origin as he just didn't have the gas in him after it.

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • Battler
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bish
  • Fitzy
  • Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.