NEWS Matt Gillett Retires

Very sad day, he was a great player for us.

On a positive note, it sounds like it is a new injury so we should get his salary off the cap.

What a fucked way to end a shitty season.

As I said in another thread, Gillo is one of my all time favourites, deserves to go out better than this.

This thread really shouldn't turn into another one of these threads. It's not the same situation at all. It's just unnecessary.

For years Gillett was the player I'd least like to run it straight at. He folded people over regularly and just looked like he hurt people. I'd love to see a highlight reel involving some of those tackles. They'd be more difficult to find than the tries or tries he was involved in but it was a major part of his game. Sad day
Speaking of which, even in his final game (yes, that one), he played 80 minutes and made 39 tackles. To put that in perspective, the other second rower, David Fifita, also played 80, but only made 26.

Man, **** Matt Gillett...

...is something no one says. Universally well liked, even by people who hate the Broncos. I consider him a great of the club. All the best, Matt. We will miss those sweet lines you ran, and those CRUNCHING tackles.

Speaking of which, even in his final game (yes, that one), he played 80 minutes and made 39 tackles. To put that in perspective, the other second rower, David Fifita, also played 80, but only made 26.

Because he wasn’t out on the brickies laptop until 12am

Does he make it into Broncs best ever team discussions?

Gave everything to the club and played on with a broken neck despite being in obvious pain. Fans could question his form, but could never question his dedication.

I remember his debut game against the Cowboys. All eyes were on Corey Norman at fullback, but Matt Gillett off the bench was a revelation. He made a seamless transition from Qld Cup Five Eighth to loose backrow and played an important role in the game deciding try.

The memory that sticks out to me was another unfortunate moment in Broncos history - Yow Yeh's last game. Souths were all over Brisbane and with Jharal off it appeared it was going to be one of those nights for the Broncos. Then right before half-time, Matt Gillett made it his own personal mission to inspire the troops and started laying on some of the biggest hits of the season. He was the one player who didn't take a backwards step and the team got on the back of his good work. In such trying circumstances, it always stuck with me.

Does he make it into Broncs best ever team discussions?

Absolutely, I can't remember too many Broncos like Gillett. The closest comparison would be Eastwood who had the skill-set, but didn't have the endurance of Matt. Gillett had that unorthodox running style that made him difficult to defend against, natural footballing instincts which allowed him to play multiple positions and a great tackling style which he developed and became one of the best defensive players in the game.

There’s some merit to a bench spot

Not really, which forward are you leaving off the team out of Webcke, Civoniceva, Lazarus, Tallis, Thorn, Parker, Thaiday, Caroll?

Absolutely, I can't remember too many Broncos like Gillett. The closest comparison would be Eastwood who had the skill-set, but didn't have the endurance of Matt. Gillett had that unorthodox running style that made him difficult to defend against, natural footballing instincts which allowed him to play multiple positions and a great tackling style which he developed and became one of the best defensive players in the game.

Yeah I can understand the Eastwood comparisons but I’d argue that Carroll it probably the better comparison. And if you are choosing out of Carroll and Gillett, you’d surely go Carroll.
[automerge]1572484176[/automerge]
Not really, which forward are you leaving off the team out of Webcke, Civoniceva, Lazarus, Tallis, Thorn, Parker, Thaiday, Caroll?

Yeah he falls just short in my opinion but he would be in discussions, surely.

Last edited:
Yeah I can understand the Eastwood comparisons but I’d argue that Carroll it probably the better comparison. And if you are choosing out of Carroll and Gillett, you’d surely go Carroll.

There's a similarity, but Tunza didn't have Gillett's skill-set. He was more of a wide running centre who eventually found themselves on an edge where he would be used in spurts. Gillett on the other hand came up as a five eighth and like Eastwood was known for his skill-set. He was able to take those lessons he learned as a five eighth to help give him an edge over the competition and stood out because he was so unorthodox.

“I injured my shoulder late in the season which was something that was playing on my mind. Once the season was finished I went and got scans," Gillett said.
"It showed there was a large amount of damage in my right shoulder. The shoulder is beyond repair.” - Gillett

Surely it is pretty straight forward for the NRL on this one.

Sad day for Broncos. He's been my favourite player since he debuted. When i first saw him debut i knew he was going to turn out special. Early stages of his career he was a freak; tackle breaks and offloads like SBW and his versatility to play anywhere. I remember in the finals vs Warriors; on the right edge bumped off a player, came back inside and put in a perfect left foot chip n chase to almost score. Will be missed, he was a rock on that right edge.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Skathen
  • GCBRONCO
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • Griffo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Brocko
  • Dazza 92
  • Foordy
  • Porthoz
  • Fatboy
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.