Matt Lodge given permission to train with Broncos

Yeah
Can you tell me how many times that has happened? Because it seems to me it very rarely happens, so not really sure how it's a problem.
It's happened exactly 42 times this season..... No I can't tell you how many times it's happened but one thing I know is Boyd has been unsure of taking on the defence on kick returns all season. He seems to loathe running hard at the line and being tackled hard for some reason.

We really need to pay somebody to keep a running tally of these things...

The biggest flaw in Boyd's game is his work in broken play. Whenever Boyd receives the ball in broken play he's always looking for an inside runner who invariably never comes. Instead of putting the opposition on the back-foot, Boyd gives them ample time to recover and set their line.

It's one area where the Broncos will improve against the Roosters. Kodi doesn't care, his first instinct is to run the ball, he hates passing the ball and even though I know better there are times where I question his ability to throw a cut-out pass. There was that hilarious moment against the Tigers where he passed the ball short to Kahu so Jordan could throw it long.

--------------------------------------------------
Back on topic and it's clear the Broncos have to find replacements for Herman Ese'ese, Jai Arrow, Keegan Hipgrave, Francis Molo and potentially Adam Blair. Bennett did a wonderful job of transforming the Broncos pack. Under coach Anthony Griffin you would be excused the Broncos pack only consisted of five players in total. With Bennett at the helm bench players such as Jarrod Wallace, Herman Ese'ese, Tevita Pangai Jr, Jai Arrow and Joe Ofahengaue have all come of age. With Payne Haas, David Fifita, Jai Whitbread and Patrick Carrigan coming through the junior ranks, Bennett will have to look externally to cover the Broncos losses.

Aside from the risky prospect of signing Matt Lodge, the only other front row who has been linked with the Broncos is Warriors player Albert Vete. Vete is a similar style of player to Ese'ese but his career has stalled at the Warriors who have yet to make the finals since 2011. Another player also being linked to the club is former NSW junior representative Myles Taueli. Taueli's career curtailed after a series of DUI offences, but Myles has turned heads at Redcliffe with his ability to use his size to bend the line. While he would be a raw prospect, Taueli would solve the Broncos depth issue.

Last edited:
Agreed with Pete re: broken field play. I think I mentioned something similar before too. First tackle you should be trying to take advantage of the often disorganised defensive lines. Pass it to Oates, and he doesn't really know how to run anything but in a straight line.

I had been pretty impartial as to whether we do all we can to sign this guy but after watching him play today I think he's a must! He just oozes nrl quality from his hard running, hard defence and ball playing. Looks to have a bit of mongrel too and one of those never say die attitudes. Make it happen Wayne.

Agreed with Pete re: broken field play. I think I mentioned something similar before too. First tackle you should be trying to take advantage of the often disorganised defensive lines. Pass it to Oates, and he doesn't really know how to run anything but in a straight line.

Except for when he steps and angles towards the corner like he did for his try the other night?

I had been pretty impartial as to whether we do all we can to sign this guy but after watching him play today I think he's a must! He just oozes nrl quality from his hard running, hard defence and ball playing. Looks to have a bit of mongrel too and one of those never say die attitudes. Make it happen Wayne.

Wayne certainly appears to be trying...

Yeah

It's happened exactly 42 times this season..... No I can't tell you how many times it's happened but one thing I know is Boyd has been unsure of taking on the defence on kick returns all season. He seems to loathe running hard at the line and being tackled hard for some reason.

I clearly remember Boyd charging it back with real gusto once we'd started scoring at will against the Titans at Cbus, unfortunately I think I only remember it because it was such an outlier. I could be wrong but I also seem to recall one of the commentators saying the way he was bringing it back was Khunt-like.

What has Wayne said about his contract for next year has he said that hes a chance to play first grade?

What is the deal with this? If the NRL are to register his contract when will they do this? November? Well before pre season starts yeah?

I thought the situation is still officially that the NRL will give 'favourable' consideration to registering him for 2018 if he stays out of trouble and continues to rehabilitate his issues.

I would imagine therefore that November 1 would be the earliest any such contract would be registered?

What is the deal with this? If the NRL are to register his contract when will they do this? November? Well before pre season starts yeah?
I read somewhere that the NRL have given the green light for him to play NRL next year

Just waiting for the Roosters to offer a 500K contract, they've got money for sure.

All we need to do is ensure him a spot in the 17 especially run on and we will get our man.

All we need to do is ensure him a spot in the 17 especially run on and we will get our man.

Firstly no player is assured a spot in the 17, especially not a player that hasn't played at NRL level in 2 years.

secondly, it is very likely that it would come down to cash given the compensation he needs to pay

Unread

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  • Allo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.