Matt Lodge given permission to train with Broncos

Roosters will sign anyone. He can probably get a lot more there.

More than 100k to a Redcliffe player who has been to two NRL clubs for a handful of games and now a third on his very last chance?

Yep. Otherwise our forward pack will be even worse than it is now. We are letting forwards go at an alarming rate and replacing them with virtually no-one, at least no-one of note.

I'm not suggesting for a second we throw the bank at him, but if perhaps $200k at a prospect like him is out of reach then we have a bleak future ahead of us, as the pack we have had hasn't got the job done for us and needs improving, yet we aren't bringing in players (so far) to do that, on the contrary we are letting the ones we have, go.

Sooner or later that rot has to to stop or we won't be competitive in the top 4 as we have been for at least 2 out of the last 4 seasons.

We will rapidly go backwards.

Man i hope he signs with us....he is an absolute beast of a man.... biggest guy out here hands down [emoji44]

Think he's close to 120kg. He usually takes 3 defenders to bring him down, he has a fantastic short ball that he pops once those defenders come in and whoever catches it has plenty of space to work.

If they can get Roberts, Milford or Nikorima to float around him they'll have a lot of success. Hell anyone that runs fast and hard beside him is going to have a lot of room to work. Very similar to Barnett or whatever the Knights locks name is.

We are letting forwards go at an alarming rate and replacing them with virtually no-one, at least no-one of note.

Bennett rarely pays over for forwards. Would be banking on at least one of the following coming through - Fai, Lodge, Carrigan, Bird, David Fafita - all of which are fair players - and probably also keeping money spare for a good halfback.

I think lodge has huge potential, but ive heard a couple of things that still make me wonder if he is gojng to be worth the hassle and if he has settled down enough. Seems still a bit of a loose cannon.

Bennett rarely pays over for forwards. Would be banking on at least one of the following coming through - Fai, Lodge, Carrigan, Bird, David Fafita - all of which are fair players - and probably also keeping money spare for a good halfback.

But that's the thing, is $200k 'overs' for someone like this? It's a broader discussion I think, what do you pay for 'potential' and I fully agree that Lodge (and everyone else for that matter) have to show that they have done enough to earn it and to continue earning it, but realisation has to be acknowledged that other clubs are paying more for this type of player and we are already short in the front row department (no pun intended...) have been for years and quality front rowers aren't widely available because most clubs recognise just how valuable they are.

Yes we need a quality halfback, but even JT wouldn't achieve much without the go forward from a top shelf pack.

But that's the thing, is $200k 'overs' for someone like this? It's a broader discussion I think, what do you pay for 'potential' and I fully agree that Lodge (and everyone else for that matter) have to show that they have done enough to earn it and to continue earning it, but realisation has to be acknowledged that other clubs are paying more for this type of player and we are already short in the front row department (no pun intended...) have been for years and quality front rowers aren't widely available because most clubs recognise just how valuable they are.

Yes we need a quality halfback, but even JT wouldn't achieve much without the go forward from a top shelf pack.

Are you saying our forward pack isn't top shelf?

I think lodge has huge potential, but ive heard a couple of things that still make me wonder if he is gojng to be worth the hassle and if he has settled down enough. Seems still a bit of a loose cannon.
Like what? Is it just that he has been getting fired up on the training paddock or is he still going out and breaking the law? Because the former is exactly what we need and the latter is something that I am sure Bennett wouldn't stand for considering his past.

Like what? Is it just that he has been getting fired up on the training paddock or is he still going out and breaking the law? Because the former is exactly what we need and the latter is something that I am sure Bennett wouldn't stand for considering his past.

Nothing on the field. Without going into specifics, its mainly just a couple of little things ive heard, nothing hugely major, but just stuff you would think he wouldnt be doing. Like i said Still seems like he can be a bit of a loose cannon.

I still would prefer we don't take Lodge out of principle. Even if we have a player of lesser ability in the side.
I would like the club to stand for more than just footballing ability.

I still would prefer we don't take Lodge out of principle. Even if we have a player of lesser ability in the side.
I would like the club to stand for more than just footballing ability.
I would be proud of my club if it could take a flawed personality and turn them into a better person. It appears to have done a good job with Roberts.

Who said David Fifita? Please exit the building

Unread

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  • Allo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.