Matt Lodge given permission to train with Broncos

Or he is making a bit of a statement he can hold his own and isnt intimidated by them. Tbf, he wasnt the only one from the reserve grade who gave it too them either. I'd guess things get heated training all the time, you just dont hear about it.

Exactly. If you're on the fringe you are trying to impress.

* walking along the streets in the US of A.

* a couple of hot chicks are on the footpath coming the opposite way.

* need to impress them.

"Tonight is the night you die".

* nailed it.

From what i hear about him, he isnt the same bloke he was before his monumental brain explosion.

At the same time though, he also seems to still have a bit of cockiness about him which worries me a little. He apparently dished out a fair bit to our first team players at training and Bennett had to calm things down. He needs to find a balance in everything he does or i can see him going off the rails again.

I read that he was playing the role of Fifita at training and running at the little Milf and Niko to get them used to tackling such a big bloke........Fifita seems like a bit of a dick, maybe he took the role play a little too seriously :P

I read that he was playing the role of Fifita at training and running at the little Milf and Niko to get them used to tackling such a big bloke........Fifita seems like a bit of a dick, maybe he took the role play a little too seriously :p

Although I can't see Lodge having a cry when McGuire calls him a shit forward.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/c7ea7e7ea128bb094198acd13ffc990e

MATT Lodge’s two-year exile from the NRL is over with the governing body clearing the path for the controversial prop to resurrect his career at the Broncos.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg will rubberstamp Lodge’s return to the big league for the 2018 season if he stays trouble-free over the coming months.

The development is significant for the Broncos, who are resigned to losing chief enforcer Adam Blair at season’s end and are grooming Lodge to be the club’s next long-term front-row spearhead.

But whether Lodge wants to resuscitate his NRL career remains to be seen, with Broncos officials working overtime in the hope the 22-year-old backflips on plans to retire from top-level football.

In March, Lodge was ordered to pay $1.6 million to US victims following his much-publicised rampage in New York two years ago, a financial dark cloud that is hovering over his NRL ambitions.

Six weeks ago, Lodge said he was facing bankruptcy and would return to Sydney in October to join the workforce to support his partner, who is pregnant with their first child.

At the time, the NRL had just rejected Brisbane’s second request to have Lodge’s contract registered this season.

But it is a case of third-time lucky, with the NRL confirming Lodge will be cleared to return next season if he maintains his exemplary behaviour at Brisbane’s Intrust Super Cup feeder club Redcliffe.

“He has served a long period out of the game now,” an NRL spokesman said.

“If Matt Lodge continues to do the right thing that will be viewed favourably.”

The Broncos regard Lodge, a former Junior Kangaroos star, as the best young prop in the code with the talent to carve out a 10-year career at Red Hill playing Origin and Test football.

Ideally, Lodge would be running out for the Broncos next season. But the 114kg forward believes it will be impossible to survive on a basic NRL wage if required to pay back every cent of his $1.6 million American debt.

The Broncos are prepared to offer a one-year lifeline next season worth about $100,000 and coach Wayne Bennett has appealed for Lodge to change his mind.

“We had a meeting with Todd Greenberg and the NRL recently and we are optimistic that he will be registered next year,” Bennett said.

“Matt has advised us that he plans to go home next year but we haven’t given up hope of keeping him. We’re talking with him.
Matt would like to stay and we’re now trying to work through things to see if that can happen. Whether it is possible, I don’t know.”

Lodge recently admitted his dream of playing NRL again was being derailed by his off-field financial woes.

“I am doing my best to pay the legal bills back. It’s a long process,” he said.

“I feel obliged to Wayne and the Broncos for giving me a chance. The hard thing is I could try to come back to the NRL in three or four years but by then I’m 26. It’s a long time out of the system.”

With Blair on the outer we really need him to play, couldn't care less about his rep - if people down south gave Packer a pass then Lodge should get one too.

If we want to challenge for the premiership we'll need him and gor him to live up to his potential. Sounds like it won't happen though?

I think we should be offering him more than a 100k. We don't want to just lose him after all this.

How the **** can we only have 100k on offer for a forward that we need desperately? We lost Herman and probably Blair, Wallace last year... Dodds is cactus.
Sick of being fucking dominated in the middle, we haven't had a decent prop since Petero!!

I think we should be offering him more than a 100k. We don't want to just lose him after all this.
100k is plenty for a piece of shit that is on his last chance and trying to prove his worth and that he has turned over a new leaf. If he makes it through next season and his farts still smell like rainbows then we consider giving him more.

How the **** can we only have 100k on offer for a forward that we need desperately? We lost Herman and probably Blair, Wallace last year... Dodds is cactus.
Sick of being fucking dominated in the middle, we haven't had a decent prop since Petero!!
There is a difference between only having 100k and only being prepared to offer 100k.

More than 100k to a Redcliffe player who has been to two NRL clubs for a handful of games and now a third on his very last chance?

More than 100k to a Redcliffe player who has been to two NRL clubs for a handful of games and now a third on his very last chance?

Exactly. He does have potential, but i think he owes us. Let him show us what he is capable of and im sure he will get an upgrade. Sadly, i think he will get a big offer from down south and wont give us a second thought.

What you think he's worth is irrelevant . What other clubs are willing to shell out on his potential is what will set his price tag.

100k is plenty for a piece of shit that is on his last chance and trying to prove his worth and that he has turned over a new leaf. If he makes it through next season and his farts still smell like rainbows then we consider giving him more.

Fucking this.

I get you're a prospect "champ" but you come with a metric fuckton of baggage......show me something.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.