Matt Lodge given permission to train with Broncos

Doubt he'll quit. He'll move to Sydney and be signed by a club down there in the new year as 2018's "second chance saloon" headline

It's hard to acquire talent when you have Sydney and Victorian clubs raiding QLD junior ranks. At this stage I think I'd actually like another QLD club (maybe in Rocky? I dno who would want to live there, speaking from experience, but Townsville still manages to attract talent, so anything is possible), if it means we can **** all the NSW/ ACT/ Victorian clubs out of the Brisbane junior system.

It's hard to acquire talent when you have Sydney and Victorian clubs raiding QLD junior ranks. At this stage I think I'd actually like another QLD club (maybe in Rocky? I dno who would want to live there, speaking from experience, but Townsville still manages to attract talent, so anything is possible), if it means we can **** all the NSW/ ACT/ Victorian clubs out of the Brisbane junior system.
It makes the comp stronger with Qld junior ranks heading down south. What are they supposed to do? Wait for a chance from a club up here? That isn't viable and either is a team in Rocky as it is the lowest socio economic area in Australia. The NRL will never expand there as it would be a flop.

This is just a cop out for our poor id and development imo. All of the kids are regularly there on display for any sharp eye. Its not a given that just because a qld kid plays in a certain comp that is supported by an nrl team that they have to play for thst team. Broncs have kids from sunny coast and townsville despite these areas affiliation with storm and cowboys. Just seems storm and cowboy s id better and put more effort into making better players.

It makes the comp stronger with Qld junior ranks heading down south. What are they supposed to do? Wait for a chance from a club up here? That isn't viable and either is a team in Rocky as it is the lowest socio economic area in Australia. The NRL will never expand there as it would be a flop.

The storm have had 20 years to strengthen the vic jr system, and the only decent bloke to come out of it is Tohu Harris (I think?). If they can't survive off the Victorian jr base they need to relocate to Brisbane, because they're pretty much a Brisbane club, complete with a host of bandwagon fans from up north.

We get ripped on by other clubs for having brisbane to ourselves, but the reality is that we are, from a junior pov, the same as a Sydney club without a wealth of nsw jrs. The cows have a huge chunk of North and central Queensland to choose from as well, although the storm have managed to also weasel their way into that system.

Edit: not to say we haven't fucked up in the past, Munster is a recent example of a bloke we could have picked up but missed out on.

But he used the example of Kahu who has been more than five years as well. In any case, if Oates is the only 'star' we've produced in the last five years, we have a massive problem with either talent identification or retention, particularly cos anyone with half a brain would have looked at Oates, watched him run and gone, that kid will be something.

Also, I don't think Ese2 was being greedy by asking for more. He is one of the most promising front rowers in the game who is already producing pretty well with massive upside. With the cap going up and rumours of what certain players are on, if the 275k offer is accurate (and it's the media so who knows), then I can't blame him for trying to get a bit more. If he was searching for 400k plus, then fair enough, let him go.
I don't know if Ese'ese was searching or trying to get more . I just think he explored the possibilities, his manager at least and that was what the market produced. I believe he did want to stay and quite reasonably showed the Broncos the offer and said, can you get a bit closer so I'm not giving up too much. Unless told differently I'm prepared to believe he acted appropriately.

Losing at least a few was inevitable once they (our crop of promising forwards) had played enough to feel entitled to a spot. I suppose it's disappointing about Lodge since we were willing to give him a chance despite his baggage and that he'd be the solution to our front row problem seemed certain not too long ago. Hopefully Wayne sorts something out and Sims and Thaiday step up.

unless they have changed the laws around bankruptcy it is 7 years before you can be discharged

Bankruptcy is 3 years for income and savings under normal circumstances, 7 years before discharged for lending etc. But can be longer tha 3 years if creditors make argument for special circumstances, for instance starts earning 500000 a year as an NRL star. So needs to say I'm done with professional footballer mentally scarred. With magical recovery of this in 3 years and 2 days.

Guy has near 2 million US$ debt. Could command what $300000 maybe $500000 in next few years till proves self?

Losing at least a few was inevitable once they (our crop of promising forwards) had played enough to feel entitled to a spot. I suppose it's disappointing about Lodge since we were willing to give him a chance despite his baggage and that he'd be the solution to our front row problem seemed certain not too long ago. Hopefully Wayne sorts something out and Sims and Thaiday step up.

Thaiday step up or step out? Spammy couldn't even put an effort in for his last origin jersey.

Agree need more Tariq and less Ashton from Sims.

Lodge is an advertisement for the evils of alcohol abuse .
Media talks drugs , drugs , drugs . The # 1 most dangerous drug is alcohol .

Monaghan , Pearce , Carney and our own Jimmy the Jet .Not to mention Alfie . All fcked up with abusing alcohol ...

Even the Kiwi Test players were drunk when they were seen buying cocaine .

Last edited:
Lacking a conscience is another.

Ticking time bomb, fortunately he's learned his lesson and is doing his best to put his past behind him.

Monaghan , Pearce , Carney and our own Jimmy the Jet .Not to mention Alfie . All fcked up with abusing alcohol ...

Sure, it is the most dangerous if you've never witnessed the full effect of the bad side of ice.

Lacking a conscience is another.

Ticking time bomb, fortunately he's learned his lesson and is doing his best to put his past behind him.

I'm hesitant to go that far. I'm wondering if he's just one of these guys who knows to say all the right things when necessary.

I have a feeling this "giving up the game" is just another dressed-up-lie to pay lip service to what the Q-Cup & Broncos have done for him, knowing full well he's going back to Sydney to once again skip out on his obligations.

Is it right that someone has the genuine opportunity to earn enough to pay off their liabilities, yet chooses to default because it's easier that way? Doesn't sound like someone who is willing to make their wrongs right.

I'm hesitant to go that far. I'm wondering if he's just one of these guys who knows to say all the right things when necessary.

I have a feeling this "giving up the game" is just another dressed-up-lie to pay lip service to what the Q-Cup & Broncos have done for him, knowing full well he's going back to Sydney to once again skip out on his obligations.

Is it right that someone has the genuine opportunity to earn enough to pay off their liabilities, yet chooses to default because it's easier that way? Doesn't sound like someone who is willing to make their wrongs right.

The reason he's moving on is because he couldn't get a guarantee from the NRL that he could play next season. On that basis, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and for the sake of his family hope he's a changed man.

Admittedly, I am an eternal optimist.

Seems like a weak excuse to leave.

The NRL were always going to let him come back if he kept out of trouble. If they weren't, they would have flat out said so to begin with.

I don't buy that excuse.

Time is of the essence, how long was he supposed to wait for the NRL to make up their minds? The Broncos (nor any Rugby League club for that matter) don't know how much money they can spend, so how can he possibly make an educated decision when there are so many barriers and variables in the way.

At least in Sydney he has more control over his situation and can support the mother of his child.

Yet if you are a drunk, you're known as a larrikin but evil if you take drugs. Alcohol ***** up more lives than anything out there but it's legal so it's alright then.

He said all the right things, and if true that he's on his way to a Uni diploma, good on him.

That said, I support the NRL's stance (for a change). He is lucky he got away with what he did, and if he isn't willing to do the time, or at the very least pay his dues, good riddance!

Of course, I have no doubt some Sydney club will get him on the cheap next season, unless he mans up and actually repays the Broncos and WB's faith in him.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dreaglor
  • theshed
  • Redfern_1980
  • marw
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.