McIntyre System

Do you like the McIntyre System?

• I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Clintos said:
I definititly prefer the AFL system. Although it rewards the teams that have performed the best all year, you have to admit that it does create some unfair situations. The Sharks situation had Melbourne won case in point.

Care to elaborate Clintos?

Well, had the Storm one, the Sharks would have played the Roosters. Since week two games are played at the main venue of the State the said team comes from (in this case NSW would be ANZ or SFS), it would essentially be a Roosters home game. To me it doesn't seem fair that the Sharks, who won their qualifying final, would have had to play a team that lost theirs at their home ground.

Oh really? I didn't know that, just assumed it would be a home game to the Sharkies.

While I am all for rewarding teams that have performed the best over the 26 week competition, the McIntyre system definitely needs to be tweaked at least to reward winning teams. Something as simple as a change rewarding the winning teams that did not get the week off would make the system a lot better IMO.

Clintos said:
Well, had the Storm one, the Sharks would have played the Roosters. Since week two games are played at the main venue of the State the said team comes from (in this case NSW would be ANZ or SFS), it would essentially be a Roosters home game. To me it doesn't seem fair that the Sharks, who won their qualifying final, would have had to play a team that lost theirs at their home ground.

How is it a home semi???? They are both Sydney teams!!! [icon_shru

For the sake of making $$$, the NRL decided that locations, rather then venues would be used, to try and get bigger crowds.

It is hardly of an advantage to either team, if they are both Sydney teams.

If it was Newcastle or Canberra, fair enough, but you are talking about 15 minutes difference in travel distance between the two suburbs!!!! Wow...real advantage there! :roll:

The Roosters pulled 18,000 last week. I hardly think that even warrants a mention Hammo.

The Gold Coast are much stronger at home, than they are at Suncorp.

Playing at home (regardless of suburb location) is an advantage IMO.

Clintos said:
The Roosters pulled 18,000 last week. I hardly think that even warrants a mention Hammo.

The Gold Coast are much stronger at home, than they are at Suncorp.

Playing at home (regardless of suburb location) is an advantage IMO.

The argument is dead now with the Sharks getting the week off but I reckon they could have turned it into a Sharks home game if the fans got off their backsides and made the trip to the SFS

From what Rocky and the other Sydney guys saud about Friday night of the 18,000 there 5 or 6,000 were Broncos fans. If the 19,000 who went to Shark Park the other night made the trip to the SFS they would own the latte set from Bondi

Yeah. It's a dead issue now that the Storm lost. Still, it just shows what could have happen.

The Mcintyre in theory rewards team 1 and 2 the most, which is a practice I agree with, however enabling the CHANCE and POSSIBILITY of 7th beating 2nd and 8th defeating 1st is just not good enough, which endangers and stuffs around the other teams, for eg. Broncos to take on the Storm next week.

Had we used the AFL system we would have played the Warriors in week one, glad we had Rooters instead.

Have a top 7 that works like the top 5.

Week 1 2v3, 4v5, 6v7
Week 2 1v(2v3 winner), (2v3 loser)v(4v5 winner), (4v5 loser)v(6v7 winner)
etc etc etc

Might work [icon_shru

Let's flesh yours out Russo:

Week 1: 2 vs 3, 4 vs 5, 6 vs 7 - loser eliminated
Week 2: A: 1 v (winner 2 v 3), B: (2 v 3 loser) vs (4 v 5 winner), C: (4 v 5 loser) v (6 v 7 winner)
Week 3: Winner A vs Winner C; Loser A vs Winner B
Week 4: Grand Final

Hmm, lots of games that don't directly have an impact. Not sure I like it.

McIntyre sucks, only because you can finish top 4 and be eliminated. The AFL system, which the ARL used in 1996, is the best top 8 system. However, as Hammo says, it doesn't give the top 2 a huge advantage - other than a home final first and home ground advantage.

But it's the best of a bad lot.

Agreed Coxy. Top 5 is the best system but ppl still don't like the thought of finishing first and only playing 2 games in a month.
The thing is it really depends on your circumstance, ie. if you want to maintain momentum or your side would benefit from a rest.

The same with any top 8 system you can pick holes in it depending on where other teams finish and how the draw/results work out for your side.

The top 8 has to be the way to go when we don't have a proper home and away season, a top 5 would disadvantage to many sides. This is also the reason IMO the emphasis should be more on the top 4 because whoever finishes first may well have had the advantage of playing the nuffy sides more than once and / or playing the harder side at home and only once.

The AFL system is better I reckon. That way all the teams have a chance. Its not fair on the 7th and 8th place getters in the NRL system

Bronco_for_life said:
Its not fair on the 7th and 8th place getters in the NRL system

It shouldn't be fair on seventh and eighth, they're the two lowest teams.

And why did the NRL change in 1996 from the old, and probably better, format to the McIntyre one? [icon_shru

1996: Old method.
1997: split comps
1998: 10 team comp

In that 2 years the AFL McIntyre system was working "well", so they copied it.
Then a couple of years after that the AFL ditched it in favour of the ARL model of 1996. Go figure.

I can't see what's so wrong with the current system tbh.

Melbourne finish minor premiers, get a second chance after losing.
Warriors knock off minor premiers, get rewarded with a home final the week after.
Manly and Cronulla rewarded for their top 3 finishes, respectively gaining a week off each after comprehensive victories.
Roosters lose, but their top four berth ensures a second chance, while fifth-placed Brisbane are rewarded for knocking off the higher placed team with a home semi in week two.
Dragons and Raiders not good enough to cut the mustard and are out.

Teams 6 and 7 knocked out, and 2 and 3 get a week off this year. So, all in all, teams 1,2,3,4,5 and 8 are still in play. I think the current system does reward the top teams enough, without making it too easy for them to get through to the GF.

I think the problem with this scenario this year is Broncos defeat Roosters away from home, and their reward is to face the minor premiers. Sure, it's at home, but it's a fucking hard reward.

Mind you, in the gAyFL system, assuming the Storm got beaten by the Roosters and Broncos beat Warriors, the Broncos would still be facing Melbourne? Or Sharks (assuming Manly beat them)?

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • marw
  • broncsgoat
  • Browny
  • LGH
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.