Memories of Petero, Beale & Te'o

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
So now they are no longer Broncos what are your best memories of these 3 guys in the Maroon and Gold?

Happy for Petero that he got an Origin win to make up for a shitty back end of the year.

Happy to see the back of Beale tbh, Maranta looks safer.

Te'o is a mercenary but was handy for us during his time at Red Hill.

Petero, for being arguably the greatest prop of all time.

Te'o for being a damaging hole runner, despite being up and down with his form a lot of the time.

Beale for ending Lockyer's career and making the first mistake in tonight's match. Yeah, goodbye.

We were blessed to have Petero and Webbie as the starting front row for so long. Not just champion players, but just great men full stop.

Most cut at losing Te'o. His second half of the season has been exceptional and the Rabbitohs have bought a very good player.

Beale was great for us at fullback last year and I'm disappointed he hasn't had the opportunity to get back there at times this season. He is shaky at times under the high ball but his support play is great and he can put together a nice second man play when needed.

Got no doubt Petero's pec injury for late last season has continued to hamper. It's a shame his best moments this year would probably count as his average moments from previous years but I reckon the younger players have benefited having him around. It's fitting he played his final game for our club - he never wanted to leave.

Petero - just his whole career. What an absolute champion, couldn't have asked for a better person to serve our club.
Beale - unfortunately my memory of him is what he did to Lockyer. He never really stood out in the Broncos jersey, dependable at best.
Te'o - only really came good at the second half of this year and now we're losing him, a shame.

Initially I was weary about signing Ben Te'o. I just didn't see any value with the signing given we already had Eastwood (this was prior to bringing Benton back which made him try and flee to the UK), Setu on his way & Alex Glenn coming through. It took me about 2 years to come around but he really won me over in 2010 when he was one of only a few who'd put their hand up week after week to the point now I feel upset to let him go. Souths have picked themselves up another bargain Broncos forward.

I like how Ben has this ability to just come on and play his game no matter how much on the back-foot we're in. He can really turn a match in a blink of the eye and right now he'd have to be one of the best fringe runners in the game.

Favourite memory is the last second last distance try he scored against Penrith to re-start our season. He wasn't the highlight of that play or anything but it was just so typical of him to be there for such an amazing try. I thought he was a tad lucky though it never went to the video, his foot goes mighty close to the sideline!

Gerard Beale seemed to be everyone's favourite player to never play a first grade game back in 2008. Coaches loved him too and he was very close to earning a starting spot infront of Reece Robinson to start that season. Instead, he was a stand-out in our first ever NYC game and it really kicked off his underground following.

His debut game was funny to watch. I don't think I've seen a fullback look so lost at the back, for the most part it seemed like he never left his own in-goal - that's how far back he was but when he was called onto defuse an incredibly difficult bomb Beale put his body on the line, jumped up above the pack and I believe ended up breaking his arm. That play really stuck with me.

He was a bit like our ugly duckling. Very ordinary on the wing, at centre and at dummy half but when he finally got a chance at fullback he shone and was close to our best most weeks.

He didn't have the best final season but I believe his best football is infront of him & we're going to regret letting him go.

Finally there's Bulla, my muse, my flame. Heh, I kid, I feel like I've written so many tributes about this bloke I'm developing a huge man-crush. He was just an honour to watch. He was the first ever player I saw get cheered off for being binned & honestly it's difficult to remember a highlight because most of his 300 games were that damn good. Just a consummate professional who made it cool to be a Broncos, Queensland or Australian supporter.

Thanks for the memories and all the best!

Initially I was weary about signing Ben Te'o. I just didn't see any value with the signing given we already had Eastwood (this was prior to bringing Benton back which made him try and flee to the UK), Setu on his way & Alex Glenn coming through. It took me about 2 years to come around but he really won me over in 2010 when he was one of only a few who'd put their hand up week after week to the point now I feel upset to let him go. Souths have picked themselves up another bargain Broncos forward.

I like how Ben has this ability to just come on and play his game no matter how much on the back-foot we're in. He can really turn a match in a blink of the eye and right now he'd have to be one of the best fringe runners in the game.

Favourite memory is the last second last distance try he scored against Penrith to re-start our season. He wasn't the highlight of that play or anything but it was just so typical of him to be there for such an amazing try. I thought he was a tad lucky though it never went to the video, his foot goes mighty close to the sideline!

Gerard Beale seemed to be everyone's favourite player to never play a first grade game back in 2008. Coaches loved him too and he was very close to earning a starting spot infront of Reece Robinson to start that season. Instead, he was a stand-out in our first ever NYC game and it really kicked off his underground following.

His debut game was funny to watch. I don't think I've seen a fullback look so lost at the back, for the most part it seemed like he never left his own in-goal - that's how far back he was but when he was called onto defuse an incredibly difficult bomb Beale put his body on the line, jumped up above the pack and I believe ended up breaking his arm. That play really stuck with me.

He was a bit like our ugly duckling. Very ordinary on the wing, at centre and at dummy half but when he finally got a chance at fullback he shone and was close to our best most weeks.

He didn't have the best final season but I believe his best football is infront of him & we're going to regret letting him go.

All these players we're going to regret letting go........all these players we're going to regret keeping

Has Bruno Cullen snuck his way back into the boardroom......?

I'm still annoyed that Lockyer decided to headbutt Beales knee.

Petero is a legend of the game

Te'o is a loss but is still pretty inconsistent.

Cheers for the memories

What everyone said.

Thanks for their commitment in the time they wore the club's jersey, in particular to Civo for his longstanding and unblemished representation to Rugby League and the Broncos in particular. I wish him the very best in his future endeavors!

Beale - that try saver on Zillman.

And also the ambush at AAMI Park against the Storm when we won 36-14 in 2010. He scored an important try out of dummy half but mainly not because he stood out but that game generally holds a special place.

Petero punching Tigers. And Suncorp standing and clapping him off like a boss.

Active Now

• Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.