OFFICIAL Michael Maguire Appointed Head Coach

You know, i recall a time when Gus Gould lead a Panthers comittee up to Red Hill to take stock of the Broncos, their footballing department, their pathways etc.

How times have changed.

It wouldnt be the worse thing for us to return the favour and go down to the foot of the mountains and take a look ourselves.

I know a lot has been said about the old coach and the new coach, but since 2017 there have been 3 premiership winners.

What does that tell you?

Here's what it tells me; NRL success is about the best system creating more than the sum of its parts.

Who has the best systems in the competition. Give you a clue, look at that list of premiership winners since 2017.

Folks - THIS is where the club needs to be.

You know, i recall a time when Gus Gould lead a Panthers comittee up to Red Hill to take stock of the Broncos, their footballing department, their pathways etc.

How times have changed.

It wouldnt be the worse thing for us to return the favour and go down to the foot of the mountains and take a look ourselves.

I know a lot has been said about the old coach and the new coach, but since 2017 there have been 3 premiership winners.

What does that tell you?

Here's what it tells me; NRL success is about the best system creating more than the sum of its parts.

Who has the best systems in the competition. Give you a clue, look at that list of premiership winners since 2017.

We should go one better and hire Gould tbh.

How times have changed.

What does that tell you?

Was thinking this the other day!

Right? I thought I was going crazy because I was sure I'd heard him say this in an after game interview or something. Besides which, who gives a shit if he paints his nails? If he'd had a good year, people wouldn't give a shit, it's that simple.

The raspy old blokes on this forum who get into the trenches every single day. Those trenches being an internet forum.

To me there is nothing dumber than all the talk of Madge not allowing Reece Walsh to have painted nails or wear sunglasses in the change rooms. Nobody could possibly give a **** about this stuff.
Another reason to think the club did a good job getting this done and dusted so quickly. All these nobheads could come up with by midweek was some nonsense about sunglasses at night and nail polish. As stupid as either are, I doubt Madge will make that a priority. Hopefully these lads don't even need to wonder if it's ok and just turn up ready to play footy, switched on.

To me there is nothing dumber than all the talk of Madge not allowing Reece Walsh to have painted nails or wear sunglasses in the change rooms. Nobody could possibly give a **** about this stuff.

I’d rather my fullback have painted nails and wear sunnies in dressing sheds rather than being ‘ill’ in a toilet cubicle with another player at a pub whilst their team is playing.

I wanted nothing more than to see Kev coach us to a premiership and revel in the success with his son after the shower we put up with in the Seibold era. I was at the ground last year when we were 3 minutes away from making that a reality before Cleary scored in front of us and broke our hearts.

I really wanted him to succeed but unfortunately there comes a time when you have to put emotion to the side and peel back the layers and make a decision that is in the best interests of the club.

I was originally in the camp of giving Kevvie next year as there were plenty of excuses this year that worked against him. However after digesting everything in it’s entirely and looking at some past actions in hindsight, this needed to be done.

We’ve had one current player and one past player both say on podcasts that Kevvie isn’t a good coach. I also have a family member who works in the mines in central north QLD with Tom Dearden’s father, and Tom’s father has openly said to coworkers that Tom thinks Kev was a horrible coach during his Broncos stint and that his game never developed and was one of the main reasons he left. I didn’t acknowledge this info at the time when I first heard it cause I liked what Kev had done since Seibold left and because I just assumed it was the words of a bitter ex player who just wanted someone to blame for his short comings. But considering how Tom has kicked on and what we all know now, I think that feedback had some credibility. You also have Herbie Farnworth in a podcast saying how the club seemed to not really make him feel wanted and that they were more concerned with prioritising Staggs and his side of the field rather than help him develop and formulate a game plan that would utilise him and his strengths better. All of this gives me enough doubt that something is amiss with Kevs coaching and philosophy.

The start of the end for me was the drubbings to a Crichton-less Bulldogs side at home when we had everything to play for and then followed that up with that meek showing on the Gold Coast when we should have been burning from the loss from the week before which made me realise Kev was officially losing the playing group. The final straw for me though when I officially jumped off the Kevolution was the ‘we will make finals’ bravado comment when at the time of him saying it, we were still having to rely on St George dropping games to even be a chance. So we didn’t even have fate in our own hands when he spouted this line which just made him look ridiculous and a laughing stock that reeked of desperation and a man without answers. It was made to look even more absurd when the game after he says it we put in that abomination in a local derby.

I never bought into the nepotism thing with Billy as I thought last year he actually earned the spot on his own merits and was clearly our best hooker on form heading into the finals. This year however when his form dipped and then Mozer was doing bits he got defensive about Billy in a press conference when a journo was trying to give Mozer a wrap. Kev never filled with any confidence in press conferences at all this year.

Kev seems to be a good people pleaser and man manager but that’s where the lines blur between being a good manager or a good coach.

This club for a long time has needed a harder edge and a more ruthless streak and that’s why we NEED Madge and that is why it was the correct decision moving forward.

Put it this way, if Madge was our coach in 2023, we DO NOT lose that GF in my opinion.

I wanted nothing more than to see Kev coach us to a premiership and revel in the success with his son after the shower we put up with in the Seibold era.

Thinking about it now.

Seibold had the right idea to put a broom through the club, but went about it the wrong way.

Kev wanted all to hold hands & sing kumbaya around the campfire. He got rid of anyone that he thought have more power than himself. Seems like he never listened.

I think Kev has done more damage to the club then Seibold did. (awaits the flaming)

Players improving after leave the club.

Just because you were a great player, doesn't mean you will make a great coach

Another reason to think the club did a good job getting this done and dusted so quickly. All these nobheads could come up with by midweek was some nonsense about sunglasses at night and nail polish. As stupid as either are, I doubt Madge will make that a priority. Hopefully these lads don't even need to wonder if it's ok and just turn up ready to play footy, switched on.
You just dribbled

Thinking about it now.

Seibold had the right idea to put a broom through the club, but went about it the wrong way.

Kev wanted all to hold hands & sing kumbaya around the campfire. He got rid of anyone that he thought have more power than himself. Seems like he never listened.

I think Kev has done more damage to the club then Seibold did. (awaits the flaming)

Which players have improved since leaving the club other than Dearden and arguably Farnworth? Dearden was always going to be good but needed to get out of our dumpster fire at the time to do so. Farnworth was already great last year and has probably just been recognised for it more this year. Isaako was always a good winger but terrible fullback. Palasia, Capewell and Fifita haven’t really improved. Tanah Boyd has played NRL but not consistently. Gamble is the same. Coates has improved but he’s under Bellamy, who doesn’t improve under Bellamy? Flegs is quite likely finished.

Who am I missing?

Which players have improved since leaving the club other than Dearden and arguably Farnworth? Dearden was always going to be good but needed to get out of our dumpster fire at the time to do so. Farnworth was already great last year and has probably just been recognised for it more this year. Isaako was always a good winger but terrible fullback. Palasia, Capewell and Fifita haven’t really improved. Tanah Boyd has played NRL but not consistently. Gamble is the same. Coates has improved but he’s under Bellamy, who doesn’t improve under Bellamy? Flegs is quite likely finished.

Who am I missing?
Isaako.

I wanted nothing more than to see Kev coach us to a premiership and revel in the success with his son after the shower we put up with in the Seibold era. I was at the ground last year when we were 3 minutes away from making that a reality before Cleary scored in front of us and broke our hearts.

I really wanted him to succeed but unfortunately there comes a time when you have to put emotion to the side and peel back the layers and make a decision that is in the best interests of the club.

I was originally in the camp of giving Kevvie next year as there were plenty of excuses this year that worked against him. However after digesting everything in it’s entirely and looking at some past actions in hindsight, this needed to be done.

We’ve had one current player and one past player both say on podcasts that Kevvie isn’t a good coach. I also have a family member who works in the mines in central north QLD with Tom Dearden’s father, and Tom’s father has openly said to coworkers that Tom thinks Kev was a horrible coach during his Broncos stint and that his game never developed and was one of the main reasons he left. I didn’t acknowledge this info at the time when I first heard it cause I liked what Kev had done since Seibold left and because I just assumed it was the words of a bitter ex player who just wanted someone to blame for his short comings. But considering how Tom has kicked on and what we all know now, I think that feedback had some credibility. You also have Herbie Farnworth in a podcast saying how the club seemed to not really make him feel wanted and that they were more concerned with prioritising Staggs and his side of the field rather than help him develop and formulate a game plan that would utilise him and his strengths better. All of this gives me enough doubt that something is amiss with Kevs coaching and philosophy.

The start of the end for me was the drubbings to a Crichton-less Bulldogs side at home when we had everything to play for and then followed that up with that meek showing on the Gold Coast when we should have been burning from the loss from the week before which made me realise Kev was officially losing the playing group. The final straw for me though when I officially jumped off the Kevolution was the ‘we will make finals’ bravado comment when at the time of him saying it, we were still having to rely on St George dropping games to even be a chance. So we didn’t even have fate in our own hands when he spouted this line which just made him look ridiculous and a laughing stock that reeked of desperation and a man without answers. It was made to look even more absurd when the game after he says it we put in that abomination in a local derby.

I never bought into the nepotism thing with Billy as I thought last year he actually earned the spot on his own merits and was clearly our best hooker on form heading into the finals. This year however when his form dipped and then Mozer was doing bits he got defensive about Billy in a press conference when a journo was trying to give Mozer a wrap. Kev never filled with any confidence in press conferences at all this year.

Kev seems to be a good people pleaser and man manager but that’s where the lines blur between being a good manager or a good coach.

This club for a long time has needed a harder edge and a more ruthless streak and that’s why we NEED Madge and that is why it was the correct decision moving forward.

Put it this way, if Madge was our coach in 2023, we DO NOT lose that GF in my opinion.
Agree with everything you've said apart from your last line. I don't blame Kev for the GF.

We withstood so much pressure and came out on top with 25 to go. Cleary then went god-mode.

Ivan said after the game, he was resigned to losing at the point they were 16 down.

Sometimes freak shit happens.

Thinking about it now.

You better get ready to Burn the Boats after your comment on Kev doing more damage than Siebs. Oh boy....

NRL2024BHQNewsMichaelMaguire2

Agree with everything you've said apart from your last line. I don't blame Kev for the GF.

We withstood so much pressure and came out on top with 25 to go. Cleary then went god-mode.

Ivan said after the game, he was resigned to losing at the point they were 16 down.

Sometimes freak shit happens.
The pressure we withstood in the opening was incredible. Reynolds is a big part of why we lost. Particularly that short drop out over the sideline.

In fairness, a big reason why we made the grand final.

Unread

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Redfern_1980
  • Mr Fourex
  • john1420
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • IceWorks
  • theshed
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.