Mick DeVere planning comeback with the Broncos

I don't have a problem with it as long as its for depth and not seen as a means to fill a position fulltime, we have already lost quality fulltime wingers and we need to prepare others for the future or pay the price.

Ergh. Almost the same as Flutterby here.

Don't get me wrong, have nothing but admiration and respect for Mick as a man and a player.

However, of the two wing and two centre spots, you have to say that Steve Michaels, Folau and Hodges have them sewn up. I would MUCH prefer Jharal Yoh Yeh nab that fourth... the kid's got everything, including potential, in bucketloads.

Mick, stay with the club. If you want to play footy that badly, why not plug on in the Q-Cup, be on a small salary with us, and use your experience during the hectic origin season? We'll at least be without Hodgo and Folau for those few weeks.

Come to think of it, with Hodges' judiciary record this year, we should sign Mick up just in case and get him out there... Hmmm.

Hope De Vere can still kick goals.

I think he will only be picked if there are injuries & around origin time & if Hodges is suspened again.

I think it is so strange that most comments here revolve around "young blood". No team can be successfull without experianced players. Classic example, U20 GF, what they needed was a field goal and even though they had heaps of chances they went for the "hero" play, youth is not aways the answer. Keep talking about the future and you forget about the present. Folu is still only, what 19? He maybe big but he lacks composure, often comes in off his wing leaving gaps. What you need is an old head keeping him in position. There will be tough times ahead and it's the older guys that will hold the team together, not the kids.

They've got to be blooded sometime. Also our backline is quite experienced with Hunt, Hodges and Lockyer there. Our pack is where we need the experience.

I don't think we should get De Vere either.
Too old. Im with the young guns as well.

I think he will be a very good asset.

He is 31, the same age as Darren Lockyer - so he may not be as old as people think.

Sure the game has changed since Devere retired but he is a bit of a fitness guru, so I don't think it will take him long to get back into it - and if he has that desire to play again (like he said he has), then thats all you need sometimes - he doesnt seem to be in it for other reasons (I.E: Money).

If the broncos arent paying too much, which I wouldn't expect them to be, then I think he will be fantastic for us.

Provides depth (especially for origin), great experience (having played origin, tests & 3 grand finals) and is a great clubman who will provide plenty of leadership (which is something the broncos have lost quite a lot of over the past few seasons) - someone for the younger backs especially to look up to.

Im stoked - hope this works out and we see him at least once in a broncos jersey come 2009!

The thing people need to remember is that during the origin period we will lose almort our entire backline

Burg said:
I think it is so strange that most comments here revolve around "young blood". No team can be successfull without experianced players. Classic example, U20 GF, what they needed was a field goal and even though they had heaps of chances they went for the "hero" play, youth is not aways the answer. Keep talking about the future and you forget about the present. Folu is still only, what 19? He maybe big but he lacks composure, often comes in off his wing leaving gaps. What you need is an old head keeping him in position. There will be tough times ahead and it's the older guys that will hold the team together, not the kids.

True that.

But "young blood" refers to experience as much as age. Folau is very young, but coming into his third season of first grade and has plenty of experience.

I do agree with the majority of your post, but I also fear the likes of Yow Yeh could be lost under the Denan Kemp theory. In that, young blokes can advance and go really well in the juniors until they are ready for first grade, but if they are kept at that level for too long and other clubs come knocking with a full-time NRL spot and three times the cash, they're going to bugger off.

Let's face it, Steve Michaels' knee was the only reason we saw so much of Kemp this year. The only different thing now is that THOUSANDS of fans were pissed off that we couldn't hold onto him, whereas it might've only been the few who saw him play a lot who would've been let down by the move.

While experience and a cool head is great to add into the team to keep the boys' heads in the right places during games, I don't think signing guys on the wrong side of 30 will do anything to help our cause in the future. If De Vere's signing causes even one or two young blokes in the u20's to look twice at a larger offer at another club, it's just not worth it IMO. What if we were to lose Hoffman and Yow Yeh because De Vere's wages meant we had to offer them $35k less than other clubs that come knocking? Would it be worth it then? Nah.

Love the Chief but would prefer to see Yow Yeh given a go first. Nothing stopping us signing Devere before 30 June if things don't work out. We use to sign the older heads to play for the Clydies to be the experience around the youngsters but we no longer have the Clydie option as a backup unfortunately.

mick! said:
While experience and a cool head is great to add into the team to keep the boys' heads in the right places during games, I don't think signing guys on the wrong side of 30 will do anything to help our cause in the future. If De Vere's signing causes even one or two young blokes in the u20's to look twice at a larger offer at another club, it's just not worth it IMO. What if we were to lose Hoffman and Yow Yeh because De Vere's wages meant we had to offer them $35k less than other clubs that come knocking? Would it be worth it then? Nah.

Agreed. If Mick De Vere signs up fair enough, BUT he's been out of the Broncos system for a while now, and he would have lost a step or two. Yow Yeh wouldn't have too much longer on his contract, most 20's guys sign 2 year deals, and if he is being held back so a former player can get one last shot at glory no doubt in my mind a lot of other clubs will com knocking with decent coin.

Sign him up for all I care, but he is more of a mentor type guy who can fill in during Origin.

Could he do a similar $1 sign-on to the one that BK and Kearns have done in recent years? Be there just in case? Personally, I'd be fine to see him on the minimum $50k, if we have the room, and he can play in the Q-Cup in the meantime... till injury/suspension/origin kills us!

I didn't like him much then and I sure as hell won't like him now.

The same Mick DeVere that falls to the ground at the hint of being tackled?

No thanks.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Brotherdu
  • Spike
  • Pablo
  • Manofoneway
  • Bish
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.