NEWS Milestone man Macca eyes life at Red Hill

What has the contract length got to do with it? After all, a coaches job is to instruct, to guide with a view to firstly be competitive and secondly to win the comp he's in. A contract is in the overwhelming majority of cases at least a year long or if during the season, it will be to the season's conclusion. Sure a coach might want to make a plan for three or four years but every single coach knows he could be out on his arse after one season or less.

Why would his imput be required as to the length of a contract? It wouldn't be, it's the boards appointee or representative whose job it is to organize the contract and the board's responsibility to sign off on any decision.

A coach can say, I want player X but it's bullshit to think he has the real say on the price paid or the contracts length.
It’s all relative to the clubs succession plan. A plan every club should have. Clearly we didn’t, therefore we are rebuilding.

Why would his imput be required as to the length of a contract?
Sure a coach might want to make a plan for three or four years

There you go, you answered your own question.

A coach can say, I want player X but it's bullshit to think he has the real say on the price paid or the contracts length.

You repeat this every time Huge, despite there being video of Seibold saying that part of a head coach's role is managing the salary cap (when being asked about the difference between assistant and head coaching roles). What is your evidence for the contrary? Wayne's agent saying that he didn't have that much to do with Boyd's last contract?

To think Wayne had nothing to do with contract length or worth is just stupidity. I am of the belief he had a lot to do with it and is one of the reasons he ended up on the outer.

If its true that our cap was out of wack for the players we have at the club its unacceptable. How these older players have ended up with contracts in their favour is a disgrace. They all should be on in the clubs favour if anything. They can essentially not play well and just reward themselves with another year. What a joke.

Wasn't that what Petero's falling out with Bennett was all about? He reneged on a promise of bigger contract? Correct me if I'm wrong.
This was more about Cullen from memory. Not sure how much influence WB had at the time, although he always claimed he didn't like to pay too much for forwards...

Wasn't that what Petero's falling out with Bennett was all about? He reneged on a promise of bigger contract? Correct me if I'm wrong.
from memory wayno told him to reject a massive offer from NQ in the early 2000's, promising him a bigger paycheque on his next contract.

the rest is history.

from memory wayno told him to reject a massive offer from NQ in the early 2000's, promising him a bigger paycheque on his next contract.

the rest is history.
Yes he promised him 'Webcke's money' when he retired but it didn’t happen. Think WB is on record saying it’s one of his few regrets.

Last edited:
not at all ... no coach plans for them not being around anymore. They plan for future seasons with them being in charge of the team ... especially Wayne Bennett, who before last year, would never even contemplate the slightest possibility that he would leave the club on anything other than his own terms.

the coach may not make the final decisions on contract value, but they would have a big input on what they believe the player is worth. how important said player is to the coaches plans would also be given serious consideration when negotiating a contract. obviously the club's management have to work all that into the clubs salary cap position.

but the point is, a coach, especially someone like Wayne Bennett, would have a massive say on contract length (in particular) and price.
Bullshit, that's why you have a board and recruitment and retention staff. Obviously the coach has a say but to say he has a say on length and amount is crap. As a coach you plan for season by season, only when you know that your team isn't playing finals you plan ahead.
[automerge]1563442037[/automerge]
To think Wayne had nothing to do with contract length or worth is just stupidity. I am of the belief he had a lot to do with it and is one of the reasons he ended up on the outer.

If its true that our cap was out of wack for the players we have at the club its unacceptable. How these older players have ended up with contracts in their favour is a disgrace. They all should be on in the clubs favour if anything. They can essentially not play well and just reward themselves with another year. What a joke.
Well then that's the clubs fault

Last edited:
There you go, you answered your own question.

You repeat this every time Huge, despite there being video of Seibold saying that part of a head coach's role is managing the salary cap (when being asked about the difference between assistant and head coaching roles). What is your evidence for the contrary? Wayne's agent saying that he didn't have that much to do with Boyd's last contract?
I say this because the reality of business life is the realization that administrators administrate. It's the sole reason for their employment and a jealously guarded role. I totally understand the coach has his desires and plans but every coach would love it if he simply could dole out contracts controlling both their length and value. If he had carte blanche to do as he pleased he'd buy talent and be unconcerned with the price. That'd be human nature.

WB and Seibold would have plans for the now and over the next 2-3 years and would state their case but the negotiations and the values would be the administrator's role. You guys believe what you wish but I won't believe the coach, any coach has absolute authority.

@1910 may tell you what he told us back in the day about him.

He might be really vague too. Hope he tells you though.

Barrett wasn't too keen on his running and said you pass that's it. Parcell wasn't too happy playing that style and said can I leave and Manly said yep.

He had other NRL offers but took the travel and play in England route

Barrett wasn't too keen on his running and said you pass that's it. Parcell wasn't too happy playing that style and said can I leave and Manly said yep.

He had other NRL offers but took the travel and play in England route
Do you know if he has any interest in coming back to the NRL?

Active Now

• john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Lozza
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.