Milford vows to channel Lockyer

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ANTHONY Milford has vowed to channel the competitive fire of his Origin hero Darren Lockyer as the Broncos sensation braces for his Queensland debut.

Milford arrived in Camp Maroon on Tuesday expecting to be blooded in Origin I and insists Johnathan Thurston’s injury battle will be no disruption as he prepares for the biggest game of his career.

Milford was just four when Lockyer made his Queensland debut in 1998, but such was the Broncos great’s longevity, Milford was 17 when Lockyer drew the curtain on his 36-game Origin career.

Lockyer’s class, composure and fierce desire struck a chord with Milford, who vowed to uphold the legacy of his childhood idol if cleared to play in the Queensland No. 6 jumper next Wednesday night.

“I’m here to prepare like I’m playing,” Milford said.

“Whether ‘Johno’ (Thurston) pulls up sore or not, I’m still in the frame. I’m here to train like I’m ready to play and that’s my mindset.

“I loved watching Darren Lockyer play Origin ... just how competitive he was and his will to win.

“I enjoyed that part of his game and hopefully I can do the same.”

Milford’s call-up caps a remarkable Origin renaissance for the quick-stepping five-eighth.

Just 12 months ago, Milford was one of eight aspiring Maroons slapped with a one-year ban by coach Kevin Walters for breaking curfew during Queensland’s infamous Emerging Origin camp.

But Walters has rated Milford a special talent since coaching him in the Queensland under-20s three years ago. If Thurston is officially ruled out, Milford is confident he can transfer his game-busting brilliance at the Broncos to the Origin arena.

“I’m really looking forward to the week, I’m excited,” he said.

“There is still a big question mark on whether I play or not, I will just enjoy the week and put my best foot forward and learn whatever I can.

“It hasn’t sunk in at the moment, it’s pretty surreal, I am trying to take every day as it comes and keep learning.”

Asked if the uncertainty over Thurston could derail his preparation, Milford said: “Not at all, my mindset is on playing, that’s the way I want to train and whether he plays or not, I will just do my job.

“I won’t change much to what I do at the Broncos, I will bring a lot of energy and help out where I can and everything else will fall into place.

“Cooper Cronk (Maroons halfback) is a world-class player and he will lead us around the park really well. I just have to bring what I can bring.

“I’m pretty confident that if I prepare well, I can go out there and perform the best I can.”

Broncos and Maroons teammate Darius Boyd said Milford would relish working with Cronk and hooker Cameron Smith in Queensland’s playmaking spine.

“Milf can do the job for sure,” he said.

“He is doing a great job at the Broncos and having guys like Cooper and ‘Smitty’ will only do his game the world of good.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/fb9223cc724e3fe66cbcd77ee8a3392c

Active Now

• Griffo
  • lynx000
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • jd87
  • Sproj
  • Kev_Guz
  • kman
  • Tmac
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncorob
  • Dash
  • Mustafur
  • Jedhead
  • Strop
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Culhwch
  • Big Del
  • achievedrap
  • bert_lifts
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.