NEWS Milford wants to stay at Broncos but pressure is mounting & more

Then again the other youngsters might follow through the gates of hell, inspired to follow and knowing their youth will not be a barrier. Afterall, he won't have too many older than him in the team! That's assuming DB, MG, AG and Macca are goorne.

It reminds me a bit of early 90's and the older guys at the Broncos, was hard for the younger guys to bond with and they also had training habits that were from another time.

A lot of younger guys would not to the right thing because you don't want to be the guy doing extras and running ahead while Wally isn't doing it.

Older guys now don't have the same excuse, Wally started in 1978 so by 1990 habits are hard to break and who would want to really. Guys now have known nothing but professional habits.

Broncos got rid of those early guys and the younger guys took over.

Last edited:
A poignant analogy you make @Wolfie but if we're comapring them both Smith was 22 when appointed captain so, I think I'm right in saying give young Paty another year don't you think?

Cricket 22 is football 19 though.

I am not saying I would do it, I am just saying it's not unheard of, even Alf was young and never had any captaincy. Wally was only 21 when he was Queensland captain but didn't have the burden of club captain.

What bewilders me is when I hear the younger guys don't tend to watch much footy games. I mean, there is so many moves to pick up and getting clued into who is apt to do one-on-one steals, who gets gassed early etc. I know they have much of this pointed out in their video sessions, but studying your opponents in the context of the full game provides much better insight than what a video highlight package would surely?

This this and more of this.

If Carrigan keeps up these standards, he should be the future captain.
If Glenn is staying I'd make him captain as extra incentive to stay for less. Also being captain would likely give Glenn access to more third party deals and a job after retirement. Then in 2 years give it to Carrigan.

If Glenn is staying I'd make him captain as extra incentive to stay for less. Also being captain would likely give Glenn access to more third party deals and a job after retirement. Then in 2 years give it to Carrigan.
This is actually a really good point. Assuming he wants to continue to live in Brisbane then his earning potential as a former Broncos Captain is probably quite good, especially if we have some success under him. It may well be worth taking slightly less to stay if those are the conditions he gets while he's here.

I'd be really happy to have him as the public/corporate facing Captain with a couple of other guys like Lodge and Gillett in the leadership group.

Last edited:
Yeah I’d keep Glenn on as captain along with Milford. Much like Scott and JT. When JT first was handed the co-captain he was immature and not very outspoken. It really made him who he is today. I’d have Carrigan and Lodge in the leadership group and have plans to eventually make Carrigan full time captain down the line.

Why should they have to watch games? Watching the way the current NRL is played is often torture.

giphy.gif

Why should they have to watch games? Watching the way the current NRL is played is often torture.
Listen to Munster on NRL.com he is of the same opinion as myself and I think he knows a wee bit more about how the modern game is played than both of us combined.

It reminds me a bit of early 90's and the older guys at the Broncos, was hard for the younger guys to bond with and they also had training habits that were from another time.

A lot of younger guys would not to the right thing because you don't want to be the guy doing extras and running ahead while Wally isn't doing it.

Older guys now don't have the same excuse, Wally started in 1978 so by 1990 habits are hard to break and who would want to really. Guys now have known nothing but professional habits.

Broncos got rid of those early guys and the younger guys took over.
Very valid point there 1910. When Kelvin Giles joined the club he introduced a new standard of training and physical demand to players weren't used to, the players labeled him Mad Dog. Greg Dowling for example said Wynnum had some weights but they weren't being utilised like you would expect. The transition for the older players was much harder then the younger players of the era and that's not too surprising.

As captain, you’d have to do a lot more off field work and you’d expect to be paid for that, so I’m not sure how it’s be worthwhile taking less money as captain. I can see the post-footy benefits but none of that is assured.
Personally I feel like I've seen more media from him than I have from Boyd this year... Besides the few times Boyd asked people to leave him alone and stop being mean...

I'm totally in awe of his professional commitment to setting goals and his drive and determination to achieve them. However, I would suggest caution before rushing to make him captain just yet. Perhaps in another year he might be ready to shoulder the added burden, but giving it to him too early could also have a negative effect on his own performances as he may just not be ready to captain us through the coming shit storm that's about to go down.
Nah I actually think we need him.

Active Now

• Dazza 92
  • Xzei
  • broncotville
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Ondi
  • RolledOates
  • Kev_Guz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • Brotherdu
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.