MotorSport

Lachy from Punchy said:
Webber doesn't even deserve a drive anymore, he has shown no prior history of even looking like winning. He should be driving CART's instead.

so pole at the aussie gp isn't any good? I dont think it's fair to question his place. in the past he hasn't been with a strong team who have been able to deliver a great car.
great example is massa. when he got schumi's drive i was shocked. but he's done really well with a good team and car. webber just hasn't had all 3 at once. last year he did get better, but with the current injury he once again isn't at his best.

Seb Boudais, CART champion. hasn't had a dream start. should we send him back?

Webber has been racing in F1 now since 2002. 7 years, No Pole positons, no race wins. He has scored a total of 100 total championship points in that time. It's time for him to go. He has proven he is nothing but a waste of a drive.

Webber's debut Formula One season in 2002..yup
nominated F1's Rookie of the Year
Racing for the perennial underdogs, Minardi, Webber took the team to new heights during the year, and on his GP debut on home soil at Albert Park in Melbourne, finished in a fairytale fifth place, It was the first time Minardi had scored championship points since 1999
Webber earned himself a spot in the record books by becoming only the 51st driver in the history of the sport to score points on his GP debut and only the fourth Australian driver to ever score world championship points

2003, he finished 10th in the championship
2004, Mark planted the R5 on the front row of the grid for the 2004 Malaysian Grand Prix alongside pole sitter, Michael Schumacher
2005, Mark took his first ever podium finish (3rd)
2006, shocker year combination of car, team and driving.
2007,second career podium
2008, earns more points then he did in 07...

so how you can claim that he has had no podiums, and he's not worth it i am not sure. or perhaps you just dont follow the sport that closely

Most of those stats don't really tell too much IMO (Lots of crashes in debut GP, not many other Australians have race F1 before etc.) The key thing for me is up until this year he has always beaten his team mate (Yoong,Klien,Heidfeld,Coulthard). Against Vettel he looks to be struggling. Vettel is after all the youngest ever race winner.

Webber has had a lot of bad luck (2007 podium - should have been 2nd but for pitlane screw-up). Crashing when in 2nd in the Chinese GP a couple of years ago etc. But for all his bad luck, the most obvious blunder of the career of Webber is his career choices. Joining Williams over Renault remains one of the dumbest decisions ever. Leaving Williams for RBR is close behind. Massa actually started in F1 the same year as Webber - look where the two are now.

Sway said:
so how you can claim that he has had no podiums, and he's not worth it i am not sure. or perhaps you just dont follow the sport that closely

I didn't say he has had no podiums, I said he has no race wins. You should read more carefully.

I just don't think he's worth it. Even with a decent car, he manages to ruin it somehow. Most likely gearbox failure. Lolcano.

Lachy from Punchy said:
Sway said:

I didn't say he has had no podiums, I said he has no race wins. You should read more carefully.

I just don't think he's worth it. Even with a decent car, he manages to ruin it somehow. Most likely gearbox failure. Lolcano.

One of his standout drives for me was in 2006 in the Williams Cosworth at Monaco. It was just him, Alonso, and Kimi at the front of the pack, and everyone else falling farther and farther behind, until the engine heat burnt through a wiring loom and ended his race. He consistently punches above his weight, but if he doesn't get the right drive soon he'll never be a winner.

Poor Webber, I was gutted seeing that happen. Even at last years AussieGP whilst in the crowd.. you heard over the loudspeaker "And a redbull is in trouble..." *The crowd goes silent.... waiting......* "And its Mark Webber!@" *the crowd sighs* haha He's a top driver and I'm hoping Redbull builds on the pace they had last year and he can get in the top 6 maybe push a few podiums.

As for BrawnGP. Wow. What a start! Will be watchin them this year with great interest!

How impressive has brawn been! amazing, however it does make everyone think twice about having the comp based on wins per year - with button winning so many, by the halfway point, the comp could be a forgone conclusion - what happens if (god forbid) Button keeps on winning and gets injured for after winning 51% of races - a bit empty

But watch out brawn - Kimi is coming, third in Monaco, Turkey here we come...

Well, I am a bit worried that the poms have won the GP for two years in a row now, and that my driver (Kimi) has yet to get a team for next year - could have been a better year for poor old Ferrari

Good on Webber too, two wins and a third, a great season for him

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.