Mouthguard recommendations

A

atingaco

Feb 25, 2022
Hi My 15 year old son is about to start ruby league and I was wanting advice about mouthguards and headgear - My brother suggested for concussion prevention - mouthguards that have top and bottom teeth impressions are more protective but also the dentist said hardly anyone uses them and he has not made one in 15 years - I am also looking at the HIT IQ mouthguards ( 400 dollars with app) that can detect concussion but also do not seem to have the bottom teeth impression - so wondering whether knowing your child has concussion is better then actually protecting better - Pease post any advice re comfort and protection and also any recommendations for dentists/technicians who can do the top/bottom impression mouthguards and how likely a 15 year old is to wear it if the top bottom mouthguards is bulkier and harder to talk with. we live near the broncos so any service recommendations in the area would be great

Hi My 15 year old son is about to start ruby league and I was wanting advice about mouthguards and headgear - My brother suggested for concussion prevention - mouthguards that have top and bottom teeth impressions are more protective but also the dentist said hardly anyone uses them and he has not made one in 15 years - I am also looking at the HIT IQ mouthguards ( 400 dollars with app) that can detect concussion but also do not seem to have the bottom teeth impression - so wondering whether knowing your child has concussion is better then actually protecting better - Pease post any advice re comfort and protection and also any recommendations for dentists/technicians who can do the top/bottom impression mouthguards and how likely a 15 year old is to wear it if the top bottom mouthguards is bulkier and harder to talk with. we live near the broncos so any service recommendations in the area would be great
I’m not an expert by any means but I always thought mouth guards are purely to protect your teeth from biting your tongue and clashing with your bottom row. Which is why you only see top row mouth guards generally. definitely get it moulded to fit by the dentist though.

Top row only is standard .
Bottom row are rarely effected .

Top and bottom make it very hard to breath . You see a lot of kids with their mouth guard in their hand when they aren`t involved in plays as they can breath more freely and speak more clearly .

Some players in the NRL don`t wear mouth guards at all .

I’m not an expert by sa t moulded to fit by the dentist though.
I am no expert either but My brother suggested there is some evidence that mouthguards do more then protecting your lips and teeth - though that was there primary purpose. hence my question to a league forum

Top row only. I just get the universal ones from Rebel for my kid, but I might start getting a dentist fitted one now that he's in under 10s and the hits start getting stronger.

re Head gear .
It may protect the skin / scalp but won`t prevent concussion . The energy from impacts transfers with or without .
The 1st aid officer with the team will be trained to detect concussions and generally there is a senior 1st aid officer supervisor over seeing the games .

I was taught if the impact is hard enough to split the skin the force is enough to concuss . Blood from the head = concussion and no more play . Then a doctors clearance before any training or play .

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Bish
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Santa
  • Hurrijo
  • mystico
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Fitzy
  • HarryAllan7
  • teampjta
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • Alec
  • Porthoz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Justwin
  • Fatboy
  • The True King
  • Ondi
  • Broncosgirl
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.