National Reserve Grade Competition

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
So I've been thinking hard about where the game will go in the next 5-10 years and the two things I see as likely inevitable are firstly the implementation of a Draft System, which I'll save for another time, as well as an overhaul of the current Reserve Grade System.

As most of you know, clubs either directly operate their own Reserve Grade side in either the Queensland or NSW Cup, or alternatively they partner up with one or several of the local state based sides to spread their surplus NRL talent around.

I'm curious to gauge people's thought's about a national Reserve Grade competition and whether an idea like this would firstly be sustainable, and secondly whether it would be more beneficial than the current State based systems already in place.

There are a couple of major obstacles, the first of which would be the cost. Flying teams around the Eastern Seaboard is expensive, time consuming, and would require many of the players who are only part time footballers to spend more time away from their families and their jobs.

The second major obstacle would be the considerable wealth gaps between the top and bottom level clubs in both states, which may only be exacerbated by the increased competition for finals football, exposure, as well as greater operating costs.

Obviously the NRL is in a less than fantastic position financially right now and until the fallout from the pandemic is fully known, any additional expenses would likely need to sit on the back burner.

That all said, if the NRL is able to improve it's financial position over the next few years, I think there are options open to them to embrace a format like this and underwrite some of the initial setup costs with a view to making the a national reserve grade competition viable in the longer term.

I think that by working with broadcast partners, as well as developing their own in-house broadcast capabilities, and with ever increasing ways to deliver content digitally with decreasing costs to do so, there is real potential for the NRL to ensure some of these games are televised or delivered on digital platforms so that fans can engage with it and sponsors and advertisers can be encouraged to jump on board.

This access to content would help drive fan engagement in Rugby League content beyond their own team playing in the NRL once a week, as well as helping developing players test themselves against the best reserve grade players in the country week in and week out, in order to grow the level of NRL ready talent that clubs can draw on at any given time, which is going to be critical in fuelling talent pipelines for any expansion efforts going forward.

In it's infancy this could even begin with something as simple as broader scale mid week knockout style competition, similar to the old Mid Week Cup, which could allow regional and lower grade clubs to play in knockout tiers building up to playing the Queensland and NSW Cup clubs similar to the FA Cup in football in the UK or the FFA Cup in Australia.

Broadcasters are desperate for content and if this was given the right promotion I think sponsorship and advertising dollars could make a competition like this viable in a short space of time, which would then over a number of years give an indication on whether enough fan interest could be generated to move to a fully national Reserve Grade competition like the one proposed above.

Curious to hear what other people think about these ideas or indeed the place of Reserve Grade football in the game going into the future. There are obviously some major obstacles at the moment, but only a few decades ago the First Grade competitions were both split along state lines and a national competition was an ambitious pipe dream, so it shows that with the right people in charge almost anything is possible. Reserve Grade clubs are the lifeblood of the game at grassroots and without them we have no NRL. The game in Australia encompasses a lot more history and tradition than just the 16 NRL clubs and with the right nurturing, investment and opportunity for promotion I think there is a very real chance to embrace these clubs and secure both their future as well as the growth of the game on a national level overall.

There's every possibility that V'landys pushes for it, although I struggle to see the need for it.

They've got two quality competitions there in the Canterbury and Intrust Super Cup. As far as I know, they've received minimal support from the NRL and it's largely been up to the NSWRL and QRL to encourage the NRL clubs to lend their reserves to the club. The QRL had the right attitude and clubs were flocking to it, which caused the NSWRL to get upset and instead of trying to compete with the QRL and improve their shop, they just threatened to kick them out of their junior competitions.

That highlights the attitude and I feel a lot of clubs have suffered as a result, having to compromise their reserve grade system by linking up with a Mounties, Wentworthville or Blacktown just to make ends meet. If there was one positive change Gus made to Penrith, it was ditching the Windsor affiliate and handling the NSWRL in-house and even getting all three grades going.

So instead of making a national reserve competition, why not invest more in the NSW and Queensland Cup? If we're worried that they're being left behind by the NRL, why not raise them up to another standard? The players don't come from the 'Brisbane Broncos' or the 'Gold Coast Titans' they come from the Aspley Devils, Souths Acacia Ridge, Burleigh Bears etc. Support those clubs, create more relationships with those clubs and the schools in their district and you'll see player numbers increase.

I've seen Gus tee off on this and use Brisbane as an example. I really don't understand where he's coming from, given the Broncos have always had a high turn over of juniors and if anything there are more likely issues than the abolition of the National Youth Competition. Covid, new coaching scheme, senior players on top leaving a poor foundation for the younger players etc. If anything, if it wasn't for the current set-up we wouldn't see the likes of Kotoni Staggs, Payne Haas and David Fifita make an impact as quickly as they did.

I am not knowledgeable enough to say whether a reserve grade competition or U20s or bolstering the ISC and NSW competition is the best way to improve the pathway to the Nrl. What I will say is that having one game of football is not enough entertainment for me to bother getting off the couch and travel to the game to pay $10 for a beer and ridiculous money for any crap food that they offer. Whatever some clever dick comes up with as the best way to transition players to the Nrl they need to play a second game (at least) to make an EVENT out of a night at the footy.
I stopped my long term membership when they cancelled the U20s.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Socnorb
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Bongo
  • pennywisealfie
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • NSW stables
  • Jazza
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.