New Bronco faces surgery

craig88 said:
have McCullough in the Qld Cup to gain a bit more experience against men rather than just teenagers.

Not a bad point at all. McCullough has had a couple of games in the top grade, but one would think that a few 80 minute stints in the Q-Cup could well benefit him greatly.

Gorrell has got plenty of NRL experience, so it could come down to him starting from the bench with PJ in the run-on squad. Then again, who knows? It's such a hard call. PJ has all the experience, but unfortunately has been smashed by injuries over the past couple of seasons. Gorrell and McCullough have, IMO, the potential to be one of the best two-pronged hooking attacks since Marsh and Riddell killed it for Parra a few years ago. We can ill afford to let either go IMO, as that's where the club's future lies.

Marsh was pedestrian at the end of last season and I'm not sure if he has what it takes to get back to his best. McCullough is too young to be the fulltime hooker and, as others have said, would benefit from playing in the Queensland Cup. So basically, I think Gorrell will be the #1 choice come round one. I think he could play 80mins as well, meaning we could probably have another forward on the bench which would be handy given that if we're going to struggle it will be upfront.

As for long term options the club, at this stage, obviously doesn't see Gorrell as long term at all seeing he's only on a one year deal. A solid season will hopefully change their mind though. McCullough's the future, and people shouldn't forget about Tom Butterfield either.

mick! said:
craig88 said:
have McCullough in the Qld Cup to gain a bit more experience against men rather than just teenagers.

Not a bad point at all. McCullough has had a couple of games in the top grade, but one would think that a few 80 minute stints in the Q-Cup could well benefit him greatly.

Gorrell has got plenty of NRL experience, so it could come down to him starting from the bench with PJ in the run-on squad. Then again, who knows? It's such a hard call. PJ has all the experience, but unfortunately has been smashed by injuries over the past couple of seasons. Gorrell and McCullough have, IMO, the potential to be one of the best two-pronged hooking attacks since Marsh and Riddell killed it for Parra a few years ago. We can ill afford to let either go IMO, as that's where the club's future lies.

Only drama with McCullough and Q- Cup is that he is linked with Norths. I think it could do him more harm then good playing in a team thats a chance of being smahsed weekend in week out. I know the Broncos are already having 2nd thoughts about playing Josh McGuire with Norths for that exact reason

Shows how good the QLD team are! Marsh played game 1 of 2008 series! hahah what a joke......

Great to see gorrells back in the picture, I had a bad feeling PJ was going to get injured at some point an McCulough was gonna have to go 80 mins solo which would probebly be too much at this point Id say. He'll go well as an impact hooker for 09 but i'd hate to throw him to the wolves forcing him to face 80 mins each week. He deserves the chance to step upto 1st grade at a reasonable pace, under 20s to 80 minute first grade is a big jump for a number 9 that will no doubt have to make over 30 tackles a game.

sydney_bronco09 said:
Shows how good the QLD team are! Marsh played game 1 of 2008 series! hahah what a joke......
[icon_lol1. is that an attempt at fishing to gain a reaction? cos lol if you are... :roll:

sydney_bronco09 said:
3 wins in a row [icon_wink

sydney_bronco09 said:

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

sydney_bronco09 said:

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Do you even watch Rugby League? None of my NSW mates even dare mention Origin. Now, go sip a Latte and pop a pill on Oxford Street champ.

Gorrell's ability to kick goals could be a factor as well. I am a big believer in having more than one goal kicker in your team. Sure, Wallace can kick, but the kid has enough pressure on him as it is, give it to Gorrell.

FTR, I would love to see Gorrell get back to the form her showed for the Dragons prior to his stint in the ESL. He was dynamite out of dummy half, and had a good long passing game from what I remember. I don't think Marsh has a great long-passing game, and I haven't seen enough of McCullough to determine it.

So Clintos you don't want Parker in the team at all?

Parker is the other kicker...I said I would like to see two in the team, and I assumed people would work out that since Parker was the front-line goal kicker this season, he would be the other.

sydney_bronco09 said:

Queenslands reserve grade was good enough to NSW 1995 [icon_razz1 NSW have nothing [icon_evillaugh

That's good that he's cleared. IMO i would start with Marsh, and have Gorrell/McCulough (depending who's in better form) off the bench.

Clintos said:
Parker is the other kicker...I said I would like to see two in the team, and I assumed people would work out that since Parker was the front-line goal kicker this season, he would be the other.

I interpreted your post that they would be relying on Wallace as first string kicker with no backup other than possibly Locky. Just wasn't clear. Thanks for clarifying though.

McCulough has a superb passing game but his main strength is his running game from hooker. Reminds me a bit of Berro when he was at hooker but Berro didn't pass anywhere near as well but was superior at busting tackles.

I think Marsh should get first crack at 9 because he has waited long enough for a good crack at it and was first in line. Have McCulough off the bench and start blooding him as I see him as too valuable an asset not to start playing NRL. All the while Gorell (or Marsh, depending on Ivan) is either killing it in QLD Cup or struggling. Either way by half way through the year we we have a real good idea where all these boys are heading.

Coxy said:
Clintos said:

I interpreted your post that they would be relying on Wallace as first string kicker with no backup other than possibly Locky. Just wasn't clear. Thanks for clarifying though.

Yeah sorry. Probably could have worded that better.

No harm done.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.