Newcastle and Warriors in big-money bidding war for Brisbane forward Adam Blair

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r/news-story/4b5f4ebfe869fa18c67889003d6501aa

WAYNE Bennett says he will not stand in the way of Adam Blair leaving Brisbane after the Kiwi Test enforcer fielded a massive $2.4 million offer to quit the Broncos.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Blair has received the biggest offer of his decorated career with the Warriors and Newcastle waging a big-money bidding war that has blown Brisbane out of the market.
Warriors coach Steve Kearney is attempting to lure Blair home to New Zealand with a four-year deal worth $600,000 annually, while the Knights met on Thursday with the veteran prop’s management.
Intriguingly, Bennett has links with both of Blair’s NRL suitors.
Kearney is a former Broncos assistant who hired Bennett as an adviser to help the Kiwis to World Cup glory in 2008, while the super coach spent three seasons in Newcastle before returning to Red Hill.
Blair, who turns 32 next March, is contracted to Brisbane until the end of next year.

The Broncos are prepared to table a new deal for 2019 worth around $300,000, but Bennett will reluctantly release his No. 1 prop for next season if Blair is chasing a bigger payday.
“If he wants to leave, we won’t stand in his way,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail.
“As much as I want to keep Adam, the money out there for him is huge. He is a great bloke, a good family man and he has this one opportunity to set himself up.
“We won’t be able to match the offers out there, I know that and Adam knows that.
“Adam is a 10 out of 10 bloke and I don’t want him to leave and he doesn’t want to leave, but I have to be honest about the situation.
“The salary cap makes it bloody tough. There’s no guarantee Adam will be here next year ... I’d say it’s 50-50 right now.”
Kearney, the former Kiwis coach, has longstanding ties with Blair and believes the prop’s work ethic and professionalism could drive cultural reform at the struggling Warriors.
The Knights have already raided Brisbane’s roster with the signing of Tautau Moga and Herman Ese’ese and view Blair as the perfect spearhead for their youthful pack.
Bennett revealed Blair is mindful of the perils of making financially-motivated decisions after his big-money move to the Wests Tigers in 2012 ended poorly.

“We have had a frank discussion,” Bennett said.
“In the past Adam went to a club (Tigers) on big money and it didn’t work out for him. He realises that and knows how important it is to be happy where you are playing your footy, rather than getting a lot of money and not being happy.
“We haven’t given up hope of keeping him, but we need to get a better balance in what we can offer.
“We’ve signed a lot of guys this year to new deals and under the salary cap, you can’t keep them all.”
Queensland coach Kevin Walters, a former assistant at the Broncos, lauded Blair’s attitude.
“I’m not surprised he is commanding big money,” Walters said. “Adam is a superb trainer and would be a great buy for any club, especially a club in a rebuilding phase like the Knights.”

$600k a year for 4 years, that's some seriously tempting reasons to leave. Both Bennett and Blair have handled this with class. If he goes, no one should have reasons to begrudge him.

This is why the bottom clubs remain at the bottom. Paying that type of money on a four year deal to any 32 year old who isn't named Cameron smith is insane... then again, chuck Norris losing in a fight (impossible) is more likely then the media being right about a players salary

There isn't any way Blair is worth 600k.

Not sure what Kearney is thinking.

I hope for Blair's sake its true. It would great to have something like that for his career end. If not I'd think there wouldn't be any doubt about him staying for at least the next 2-3 years.

4 years x $600000 if true is insane, if you offer that to a 32 year old needs to disqualify from medical retirement. Those teams deserve what they get for throwing money around like that, distorts the whole market with their stupidity.

Kearney sucks as a coach. Chances are he'll be sacked next year because the warriors also suck. That's gotta play into blairs decision too surely.

I'll be surprised if he stays. My guess is Newcastle as he gets to stay in the sunshine. He can always move home to NZ later but it might be he may wait many years before doing that.

Kearney sucks as a coach. Chances are he'll be sacked next year because the warriors also suck. That's gotta play into blairs decision too surely.
The Warriors have had a number of coaches over the years - none of them seem to have been able to do much good.

The Warriors have had a number of coaches over the years - none of them seem to have been able to do much good.

Because the problems are much deeper than the coach.

That club needs a complete overhaul of the staff, roster and overall plan. Get some fucking pride back in that place.

4 years x $600000 if true is insane, if you offer that to a 32 year old needs to disqualify from medical retirement. Those teams deserve what they get for throwing money around like that, distorts the whole market with their stupidity.
It is a bit rich, but he is exactly what they need at the knights at the moment. If they have the cash then it's money well spent.

It is a bit rich, but he is exactly what they need at the knights at the moment. If they have the cash then it's money well spent.

Isaac Luke was exactly what they needed. RTS was exactly what they needed. Kieran Foran was exactly what they needed.

Their problem is that they value raw talent and not effort. I stand by what I hypothesised in previous Warriors conversations, the best talent with the best work ethic gets selected by the All Blacks. The best talent but without the work ethic ends up in the lower grades or in League. That goes for club & coaching staff as well as players.

They can't just throw good players or a disciplinarian coach in there without first gutting the joint and rewriting the culture.

The 2.4m over 4 years could be the knights offer... could also just be some made up BS from Sydney.

I think Blair is a better fit for Newcastle nothing can save warriors it seems.

Would also be great watching the Sydney centric media go from claiming Blair as scum grub of the earth to honest hard working toiler and real forward leader. Although they would probably start everything with "since coming from Brisbane..."

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dreaglor
  • theshed
  • Redfern_1980
  • marw
  • Jedhead
  • Tim K
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.