RUMOUR Newscorp may be going bust

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Michael West is a reputable independent journalist. Mentioning him in the same breath as someone like Weedler or Dobbo is frankly an insult, so you can take what he says at face value. Check out that loss of revenue between the 2018/19 financial years. That is a disastrous plummet in profits, including a 1.5 billion dollar write down on "streaming services", aka Foxtel, and he suspects that Foxtel may have even already been sold off.

What has this got to do with the Broncos? Well, it's a faint hope, but it's a hope nonetheless that maybe our club might finally be free of Newscorp's poison in the not too distant future. That means say goodbye to Karl Morris, say goodbye to Newscorp having its cake and eating it too when it comes to the club and the media shitting on us, and simply say goodbye to always harboring the dishonor of such a shitstain corporation owning our favorite sports club.

Again, it's a slim hope, but it's something. Newscorp's reign of terror over the Broncos may soon be over.

Some of the reporting he has produced to date is pretty spot on. Wondering why you say fake news.
Because he likes saying fake news, it makes him come over all Trumpish.

They are banking on the news media bargaining code being passed.

Essentially it would be a world first making all digital platforms (Facebook, Youtube, Twitter) pay to distribute news from our media giants.

So far google and facebook are telling us to go jump, because it sets a precedent for other countries to do the same thing. There is a lot of policy laundering the goes on down under. Our anti-encryption laws were a world first too.

Why? because we're the bottom bitch of the Five Eyes alliance.

Some of the reporting he has produced to date is pretty spot on. Wondering why you say fake news.
Because he likes saying fake news, it makes him come over all Trumpish.
No, the Murdoch news silo isn't going to fold, but of course it's suffering, along with the entire media and entertainment industry. I'm surprised Fairfax is still alive. It's been on life support for the last decade. As for Murdoch needing to be silenced so everyone can be bundled into the same echo chamber to do dumb dittohead stuff like blaming the weather on politicians, that's what fascism sounds like.

Last edited:
No, the Murdoch news silo isn't going to fold, but of course it's suffering, along with the entire media and entertainment industry. I'm surprised Fairfax is still alive. It's been on life support for the last decade. As for Murdoch needing to be silenced so everyone can be bundled into the same echo chamber to do dumb dittohead stuff like blaming the weather on politicians, that's what fascism sounds like.
Mate I'm not sure who has been blaming the weather on the politicians, but what i have seen is the Murdoch press consistently deny the issues we are currently facing now are caused by climate change. None of the Murdoch rags have taken our state and federal governments to task for their lack of action.

In fact Morrison has been given a free ride over last summer's inaction, his total fukc up of the robodebt which he instigated as social services minister, implemented further as treasurer and then pressed full steam ahead as our PM. This was despite the whole scheme being illegal and instead of raising $1.7 billion actually cost the tax-payers $1.2 BILLION in compensation. Not to forget the loss of several dozen lives due to the poor unfortunate victims suiciding.

A fine example being Morrison giving Foxtel a $10 million no questions asked bung, yet refusing to invest a single cent in planes to fight this year's expected bush fires. So I think your obfuscating politicians being blamed for lack of action on dealing with climate change issues and the weather.

I don't wish to sound like I'm arguing these points from a political left or right angle nor is it conservative or progressive ideology I'm simply trying to point out that the people that have been tasked to run the country have been shown to be middle-class semi-educated clueless incompetents. They don't give a stufff about the likes of you and me all they are interested in sucking as much from the gravy train as possible and to hell with the country and your average Aussie. I mean if they are saying our super is more than adequate at 9.5% why have they raised theirs to 12%? If it's more than adequate why are they not lowering their super rate to match the rest of the country and save the tax-payer some cash.

Honestly McHunt, blaming the weather on our pollies are the least of our worries.

Mate I'm not sure who has been blaming the weather on the politicians, but what i have seen is the Murdoch press consistently deny the issues we are currently facing now are caused by climate change. None of the Murdoch rags have taken our state and federal governments to task for their lack of action.

In fact Morrison has been given a free ride over last summer's inaction, his total fukc up of the robodebt which he instigated as social services minister, implemented further as treasurer and then pressed full steam ahead as our PM. This was despite the whole scheme being illegal and instead of raising $1.7 billion actually cost the tax-payers $1.2 BILLION in compensation. Not to forget the loss of several dozen lives due to the poor unfortunate victims suiciding.

A fine example being Morrison giving Foxtel a $10 million no questions asked bung, yet refusing to invest a single cent in planes to fight this year's expected bush fires. So I think your obfuscating politicians being blamed for lack of action on dealing with climate change issues and the weather.

I don't wish to sound like I'm arguing these points from a political left or right angle nor is it conservative or progressive ideology I'm simply trying to point out that the people that have been tasked to run the country have been shown to be middle-class semi-educated clueless incompetents. They don't give a stufff about the likes of you and me all they are interested in sucking as much from the gravy train as possible and to hell with the country and your average Aussie. I mean if they are saying our super is more than adequate at 9.5% why have they raised theirs to 12%? If it's more than adequate why are they not lowering their super rate to match the rest of the country and save the tax-payer some cash.

Honestly McHunt, blaming the weather on our pollies are the least of our worries.
Australia has 2 newspapers of note: the Australian and the AFR. Everything else is a gossip rag. If you're relying on the mainstream media for news, you're already losing. The more you know about any subject, the more you realize no journalist gets anything right.

Last edited:
Australia has 2 newspapers of note: the Australian and the AFR. Everything else is a gossip rag. If you're relying on the mainstream media for news, you're already losing. The more you know about any subject, the more you realize no journalist gets anything right.
I’d hardly call the Australian a bastion of objectivity either.

I appreciate what you're saying, but the reality is that a significant portion of the population, particularly the older and richer (and therefor more powerful) part of the population, still DO get their news from the mainstream media and are definitely losing, and it's honestly becoming an ever increasing cancer on our society.

News is a properly evil and fucked up organisation and the World really would be better off without them, only I'm sure someone else would come along and take their place and probably be just as awful an affliction on society.

Last edited:
Aside from the print media, the bigger insidious behaviour is making Sky News a FTA channel in regional areas. It’s radicalised my grandparents due to them losing their faculties a bit, and no doubt doing the same in other areas to try and consolidate Liberal or National power at least at a federal level, using the grey/dumb vote.

On topic, **** NewsCorp and I do hope they die and the club becomes a bit ‘cleaner’. It would be interesting to see the consequences of their departure.

Aside from the print media, the bigger insidious behaviour is making Sky News a FTA channel in regional areas. It’s radicalised my grandparents due to them losing their faculties a bit, and no doubt doing the same in other areas to try and consolidate Liberal or National power at least at a federal level, using the grey/dumb vote.

On topic, **** NewsCorp and I do hope they die and the club becomes a bit ‘cleaner’. It would be interesting to see the consequences of their departure.
News are reasonably diversified in terms of sources of revenue so I doubt they'll just **** off and die, but it would be wonderful to see their wealth and power base shrink to a level where they don't just dominate 70% of the media landscape, and if we're really lucky, some bean counter might see holding onto a football club with huge operating costs relative to the very slim profit returns as too risky to bother with.

ah, the fox treatment.

soon it will be, how sky news brainwashed my dad, instead of the current title.

Don't we have something like the worst media diversity in the developed world after only like Egypt?

News corp is a cancer on society. Them going broke would be wonderful for everyone except leather bag Murdoch.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brocko
  • Big Del
  • bert_lifts
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • john1420
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.