Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016
He was at another club and he did get punted.

I have a soft spot for Hook but he’s not the head coach we need.

You are correct the Panthers did punt him, and they were fifth on the ladder when they did it. Which just reinforces my point that hasn't been given as many chances as other coaches around the league.

Anyway I'm happy for Kevin Walters to get his shot.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
He was at another club and he did get punted.

I have a soft spot for Hook but he’s not the head coach we need.
Totally agree. People have short memories and don't recall what it was like during the "Hook era" with his severe limitations in the role. Seibs definitely blew him out of the water with his performance though which in turn has fans thinking that maybe Griffin wasn't so bad after all. He WAS and the Broncos certainly won't be going down that path again.

N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016
Interesting this was the feedback why the Tigers went with Mick Potter rather then Kevin Walters as coach in 2012. You can say what you want about Walters. The fact remains history hasn't been kind to the decision makers that have spurned him for the Tigers and the Broncos coaching jobs thus far.

I've read that Kevin Walters is not much into pie graphs and so forth. But that may not be such a bad thing, as apparently from the current set up the players were left confused with the technical approach. And they just want to go out and play and enjoy their football. So it's not surprising the feedback from the Tigers.

WESTS TIGERS officials are set to end their month-long hunt for a new coach by appointing Mick Potter to replace Tim Sheens today.
Potter, this season's Super League coach of the year, has been interviewed twice by a subcommittee appointed to oversee the search following Sheens's sacking on September 25.

Melbourne assistant Kevin Walters was also given a second interview but the Herald has been told that Potter was the more impressive of the pair and he is understood to have been offered a two-year deal.
While it was considered that Walters had served a good apprenticeship under Wayne Bennett at Brisbane and Craig Bellamy at the Storm, Potter was described as ''more polished'' and ''professional'' and officials believe he would better at dealing with the media and sponsors.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Just no to Griffin. Reports out of Penrith at the time weren't great on the people man management side.
He had them at 5th when he got fired iirc?

That said I'd be open to him returning in some capacity but not into the head coaches role.

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Interesting this was the feedback why the Tigers went with Mick Potter rather then Kevin Walters as coach in 2012. You can say what you want about Walters. The fact remains history hasn't been kind to the decision makers that have spurned him for the Tigers and the Broncos coaching jobs thus far.

I've read that Kevin Walters is not much into pie graphs and so forth. But that may not be such a bad thing, as apparently from the current set up the players were left confused with the technical approach. And they just want to go out and play and enjoy their football. So it's not surprising the feedback from the Tigers.

WESTS TIGERS officials are set to end their month-long hunt for a new coach by appointing Mick Potter to replace Tim Sheens today.
Potter, this season's Super League coach of the year, has been interviewed twice by a subcommittee appointed to oversee the search following Sheens's sacking on September 25.

Melbourne assistant Kevin Walters was also given a second interview but the Herald has been told that Potter was the more impressive of the pair and he is understood to have been offered a two-year deal.
While it was considered that Walters had served a good apprenticeship under Wayne Bennett at Brisbane and Craig Bellamy at the Storm, Potter was described as ''more polished'' and ''professional'' and officials believe he would better at dealing with the media and sponsors.

I wouldn't be giving too much credit to the judgement of the Tigers in that era. They've made the right choice by grabbing Madge in recent times however, and they absolutely pulled our pants down in that regard. I stand by that Madge would have been perfect for this squad.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I wouldn't be giving too much credit to the judgement of the Tigers in that era. They've made the right choice by grabbing Madge in recent times however, and they absolutely pulled our pants down in that regard. I stand by that Madge would have been perfect for this squad.
Doubt it, he would have our guys gassed before the kick off. It's been stated again he's over working his players again, hence their form. Obviously hasn't learnt from his mistakes.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Doubt it, he would have our guys gassed before the kick off. It's been stated again he's over working his players again, hence their form. Obviously hasn't learnt from his mistakes.

If there is one thing our team doesn’t do, it is work too hard because then they might make more mistakes and that is a risk not with taking.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
look, you all need to help me...as my head is now starting to win this argument...

I voted for Kevvie because emotionally i felt it was the right thing to do. It was time ect

I think the assistants we bring in with him will go a long way to making him a success.

BUT...

Last looked, we are a bigger club than the Cowboys

There are currently 5 caretaker coaches in the comp. That leaves 11 full time coaches...

Im hearing that current encumbant coaches are reaching out aboout the vacant Cowboys job.

Well, if thats true......why are we only attracting a recently fired head coach and another rookie?

Answer; OF COURSE WE ARENT....

We would have at least 4-5 of those same coaches reaching out via intermediaries asking about this job.

So.....do we in all conciousness avoid talking to any of these guys and make that feel-good emotional selection of Kevvie?

Do we have a 5% chance of luring Bellamy (and then Smith behind him) here for 2 years? Even then....go all in...absolutely...it will probably be our last opportunity.

Thoughts...do we replace a 1 year coach with a rookie here...?

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
look, you all need to help me...as my head is now starting to win this argument...

I voted for Kevvie because emotionally i felt it was the right thing to do. It was time ect

I think the assistants we bring in with him will go a long way to making him a success.

BUT...

There are currently 5 caretaker coaches in the comp. That leaves 11 full time coaches...

Im hearing that current encumbant coaches are reaching out aboout the vacant Cowboys job.

Well, if thats true......why are we only attracting a recently fired head coach and another rookie?

We would have at least 4-5 of those same coaches reaching out via intermediaries asking about this job.

So.....do we in all conciousness avoid talking to any of these guys and make that feel-good emotional selection of Kevvie?

Do we have a 5% chance of luring Bellamy (and then Smith behind him) here for 2 years? Even then....go all in...absolutely...it will probably be our last opportunity.

There’s probably less speculation due to Kevvy being fait accompli to be our coach.

N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016

Yeah to be fair to Michael Maguire though that Tigers roster is not up to scratch. Its been well documented that Ivan Clearly has left that club locked into some awful contracts. There is only so much Maguire can do, and being over training them or overbearing can't completely be the reason why they won't be playing in the finals again.

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015

BUT...

In my view we have never been a chance of getting Bellamy and I am sure nothing has changed.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Hook lost me forever while he persisted with Hoffman at 5/8. His bench use use fucking putrid and his game plan was boring. We’ll never get anywhere going back to a coach we sacked 5 years ago because he was shit!!
****, in hindsight I wish we hadn’t gone back to Bennett... We had two good seasons and then we were back to consistently missing the mark. Seibold was a good idea, his methods didn’t work and we went backwards at 100 mile an hour but the idea was correct. For me Kevvie is the only option. The club needs to unite and heal first and then get on with resetting the standards. Kevvie IMO is the only guy who can do this at this point in time.

N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016
There’s probably less speculation due to Kevvy being fait accompli to be our coach.

That is a good thing. Brad Fittler made a great point on Freddy and the eighth. When Paul Green was let go by the Cowboys it wasn't known to the media until it was announced. When Anthony Seibold departed the Broncos the news was well and truly out there before there was a press conference. Fittler has stated there has been too much leaking from the Broncos to the media and it needs to change.

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Can’t see the players getting on well with Griffin. Has to be Kevvie

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Meyn in the Courier Mail is saying that the club is concerned Walters may not have the experience or track record to be the next Broncos coach. sighting his only professional club coaching gig (Catalans) as a reason.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Allo
  • Gaz
  • thenry
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • Waynesaurus
  • Ozired
  • Culhwch
  • mitch222
  • Hoof Hearted
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.