Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Just no to Griffin. Reports out of Penrith at the time weren't great on the people man management side.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
You ***** are crazy wanting Griffin back. His only successful season was the one where he rode the coat tails of lockyers final year. Do we not remember how dour our football was back then?

Has seibold really done that big of a number on some folks?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I understand why many don’t want Griffin but he showed he could develop kids and instill a basic game plan. This side needs this right now.

People forget that the 2015 side was mostly built by Griffin with a couple of old heads bought in by Bennett in Boyd, Blair, etc. Did we need either? Maybe but Griffin had built a decent side even though he made mistakes. Same at Penrith, this current gun side was developed under Griffin’s watch and he wasn’t afraid to punt some big names, showed d had progressed and learned as a coach and also gone away from the fattening up mantra. This shows he learns and improves. Will he take the side to the next premiership? No idea but he will point them in that direction.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
You ***** are crazy wanting Griffin back. His only successful season was the one where he rode the coat tails of lockyers final year. Do we not remember how dour our football was back then?

Only as a assistant, does well with the younger players imo

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I understand why many don’t want Griffin but he showed he could develop kids and instill a basic game plan. This side needs this right now.

People forget that the 2015 side was mostly built by Griffin with a couple of old heads bought in by Bennett in Boyd, Blair, etc. Did we need either? Maybe but Griffin had built a decent side even though he made mistakes. Same at Penrith, this current gun side was developed under Griffin’s watch and he wasn’t afraid to punt some big names, showed d had progressed and learned as a coach and also gone away from the fattening up mantra. This shows he learns and improves. Will he take the side to the next premiership? No idea but he will point them in that direction.
no.

if we wanted a coach that would give us a good defensive structure, we should've just kept bennett. at least he'd give us the smallest slither of hope that we could win the premiership by virtue of the fact that we'd always qualify for the finals.

and if we're after someone who can clean out a shithouse team and bring them close to the promised land (but fall short), then why not hire brian smith?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
no.

if we wanted a coach that would give us a good defensive structure, we should've just kept bennett. at least he'd give us the smallest slither of hope that we could win the premiership by virtue of the fact that we'd always qualify for the finals.

and if we're after someone who can clean out a shithouse team and bring them close to the promised land (but fall short), then why not hire brian smith?

Indeed, why not hire him?

I actually want Kevvie as he is what the club needs right now but I do think Griffin is harshly judged, he is a good coach.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017

I actually want Kevvie as he is what the club needs right now but I do think Griffin is harshly judged, he is a good coach.
I think honestly he's just a bit like a Chinese knock off version of Bennett though. On the surface it mostly does the same things, just a bit less smoothly and easily, and probably not likely to last quite as long as the original product.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008

Sadly, yes LOL

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
QRL pay their coach a full time salary- you're expected to work all year, not just three weeks. Also Kevvie would start in September getting his head around this mess and sorting it out and then have to leave for three weeks- that's not ideal then come back and start his first preseason just having three weeks off.

If he had been coaching a while, it would be ok this year because Origin is at the end of the year but in this situation and given it's his first gig and the mess he is walking into I don't think both roles is appropriate.
I agree Walter's should do fulltime work for fulltime pay but there's no reason a lot of the preparation, and even promotional work, couldn't be delegated out on the qrl side. There's talk of getting Bennett back and that's exactly what had do. Yes has far, far more experienced but Walter's has had the QLD set up his way for 4.5 years now, had know what he'd need to be on top of and what he could delegate out. Also, the Broncos have the resources to cover any additional support he would need. He's been doing his fox sports gig with the QLD job, it's nowhere near as much I know, but it shows that 2 jobs can still be done with the right set up.

I just think the pros outweigh the cons at the moment. The Broncos need to get their mantle and mystic back as THE QLD club. Its much harder to do with players these days due to the large amount of scouts in QLD requiring the Broncos to diversify. But there's no better way of announcing we are the one and only QLD club again then having the current QLD coach.

N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016

Agreed. How things has turned out this season I actually don't think Anthony Griffin was too bad in retrospect.

If Griffin was at another club he wouldn't have got punted - but because he was at the Broncos the bar is set higher then most other clubs. And when I say that I don't mean that in a conceded way its a fact.

Coaches such as Ricky Stuart and Brad Arthurs have been given more lifelines then Griffin.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Agreed. How things has turned out this season I actually don't think Anthony Griffin was too bad in retrospect.

If Griffin was at another club he wouldn't have got punted - but because he was at the Broncos the bar is set higher then most other clubs. And when I say that I don't mean that in a conceded way its a fact.

Coaches such as Ricky Stuart and Brad Arthurs have been given more lifelines then Griffin.
He was at another club and he did get punted.

I have a soft spot for Hook but he’s not the head coach we need.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

Yes, I tend to agree with this. I always thought that Hook could coach, and he was definitely unfairly dismissed from the Panthers given his results there. I hope he gets another opportunity at a decent club and is given a fair run to show what he has.

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015

Yeah but he shouldn’t have got punted.
Gould dumped him because he was worried Cleary would go over to his old man at the tigers.
Panthers would be going just as well as they are now if he was still around.

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • Waynesaurus
  • Ozired
  • Culhwch
  • mitch222
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Painin the Haas
  • RolledOates
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.