Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
Its about an ability to set expectations and accountability. Being abusive works poorly, so does letting people get away with murder. At least abusive gets rooted out pretty quickly...Firm, Fair, clear goals and reward behaviours first and results second.

I would go with Kevvie. He seems to have good communication skills and his relaxed jovial personality will do well after Siebold. He will probably need some assistants that are a bit different in nature and more disciplinarian to support him. This isn't a bad thing.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but on Triple M they were saying that the Broncos have been pushing really hard to get Thorn in in at least some kind of role. Union is fighting hard to keep him but there are big question marks on the viability of their entire comp, and a switch back to League would be the best long term thing for him.

Not sure if that would bring instability if he were an assistant to Walters, as Thorn seems like the sort who'd be ready to step up to a head position within 3-4 years. Or maybe it will be a good thing - Walters instills the culture, we get back to being competitive in 2 years, hardened in 3-4, then a genuine premiership team with Thorn in charge.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but on Triple M they were saying that the Broncos have been pushing really hard to get Thorn in in at least some kind of role. Union is fighting hard to keep him but there are big question marks on the viability of their entire comp, and a switch back to League would be the best long term thing for him.

Not sure if that would bring instability if he were an assistant to Walters, as Thorn seems like the sort who'd be ready to step up to a head position within 3-4 years. Or maybe it will be a good thing - Walters instills the culture, we get back to being competitive in 2 years, hardened in 3-4, then a genuine premiership team with Thorn in charge.

It isn't a bad thing to have an assistant who is ready to be a head coach.

Sometimes I think as we age we forget that these guys aren’t freshly retired. Most of them are 48-55. A five year plan to handoff to thorn who’s the Same age? Why? This isn’t a Malthouse/Buckley thing

Just remember, 20th anniversary of the Cranberries album next month. Feeling old now?

In the documentary about the Warriors preseason (in 2019 I think?) he was absolutely getting stuck into the players.

Very gently of course.

For mine Kearney would be an excellent choice as assistant coach - defence. His form with us was good if our efforts in 2015 are any indication - great tackling technique and the line organisation/coordination was superb. We beat the Storm on the back of that defence, made that GF and he would adapt to the "new" game. He also coached us under Bennett, so for mine he has great credentials.

Will a new coach be selected first, or the new CEO? Surely a new CEO should be the one involved in the selection of a new coach, right?

Will a new coach be selected first, or the new CEO? Surely a new CEO should be the one involved in the selection of a new coach, right?
That would depend on when White's replacement comes in, it may well be too far into the off season by then. At a minimum we should have a shortlist drawn up and interviews arranged for the new CEO to get into as a priority.

That would depend on when White's replacement comes in, it may well be too far into the off season by then. At a minimum we should have a shortlist drawn up and interviews arranged for the new CEO to get into as a priority.
We'll have plenty of off season this year

I read today that if Kevin Walters does get the Broncos head coaching job. That a potential scenario of coaching Queensland this year and then taking over the Broncos job after the series isn't likely an option.

It is believed the short off-season and looming Broncos clean-out would make it too difficult for Walters to coach Queensland, while undertaking a rebuild at Red Hill.

The 2021 pre-season is slated for a November 9 start date and the first of three Origin games starts on November 4, which would make juggling both positions nearly impossible.

The QRL believe Walters would be too busy with his commitments at the Broncos should he take the job, which would require a hands-on approach from their last game of the season on September 24.

I think Thorn would be a perfect coach for us.

Broncos legend, has respect from everyone in the game, dual international, good talker, he's got the reds playing for each other... and he also seems a tactically smart footy mind even though he was a forward.

But I think we need to go Kevvie at this stage ... just wont be a good look for them to poach a relative rookie coach again, when they could bring Kevvie in to give him his shot.

In a few more years Thorn could be top tier and you'd know he'd come and coach the broncos... on the other hand if Kevvie kills it then we're sorted anyway

Last edited:
I get the impression that Kev would be too nice, very passionate, but not overly clever or strong-willed in his management style. I also believe that the old boys want him there so the ‘jobs for the boys’ motto is back in place, which he would succumb to.

People have short memories. As Queensland coach Kevin Walters supported a ban on the Emerging Origin camp after 6 players broke a curfew and went out drinking when they were not supposed too. All the players involved were ineligible to be selected for state of origin for 12 months which had the backing of the senior playing group.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Rookie Alan
  • Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • Foordy
  • sooticus
  • heartly87
  • Galah
  • Sproj
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncs1459
  • Rah88
  • Bish
  • Aldo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Allo
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.