Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
Walters as head coach with Hook and Thorn as assistants. Pay whatever it takes to get Thorn to the club.

Bennett for a year or 2 with Kevvie as an assistant and a signed contract to take over WB?
We could do worse.

Bennett for a year or 2 with Kevvie as an assistant and a signed contract to take over WB?
We could do worse.

Do you really think Wayne and Kevvie could work together again? Going back to Wayne again just means the coach following him will be under immense pressure and we again find ourselves stuck in this infinite loop.

We could do worse.
I'm pretty pro-Bennett as a coach but that ship's sailed imo. Did read somewhere else Wayne had said if Kevvie ever needs advice or mentorship he's just a phone call away though, I reckon that's ideal. Grandpa Wayne as a warm hand on Kevvie's shoulder without all the pressure of having him here as a coach again. Sign me up.

Last edited:
I'm not getting the Brad Thorn love.
His record with the Reds isnt good.
Did someone throw it out there and everyone else bandwagon the idea because he was a good player.

edited: not appropriate

Last edited by a moderator:
Article in the CM about Bennett being open to a return.

No quotes from Bennett, it just sounds like Hodgey wants him back.
This story is gaining momentum though. Bennett hasn't discounted the rumours either. IMO, this is the only way the Broncos can eventually dig themselves out of the infinite black hole they are currently mired in. Bennett must be involved. History has shown that the Broncos are aimless and without direction when he is absent.

Tell you the truth I never really agreed with Anthony Seibold departing Souths with a year left on his contract. I think Wayne Bennett doing the same thing to Souths would be pretty shabby also with a year left remaining. I actually respect Craig Bellamy when he says he doesn't break contracts. He pretty much ruled out the Broncos job. The reasoning behind it he still had a year left on his contract with the Storm when the Broncos job came up.

I would prefer the Broncos not pursuing Wayne Bennett on this capacity alone. Kevin Walters has an opt out clause with the QRL if a NRL head coaching job came up, which I'm fine with.

This story is gaining momentum though. Bennett hasn't discounted the rumours either. IMO, this is the only way the Broncos can eventually dig themselves out of the infinite black hole they are currently mired in. Bennett must be involved. History has shown that the Broncos are aimless and without direction when he is absent.

All I'm saying is don't get too far ahead of yourselves based on a headline. It's a Badel article where the only quotes come from Hodges - FoxLeague are naturally going to pump it up as they do with every tabloid.

its going to be a looong off-season once they announce a couch. the board are going to be on a hiding to nothing for those few months.

if they dont hire walters the NSWRL media will crucify them again and it will be non stop shit from the usual suspects of gordie and co.
if they do hire walters those same nsw media will be saying what a **** up it is to hire yet another untested coach.

this is going to be so painful for us fans and we will be copping it from all angles on social media about how piss weak we are and how we cant cop shit giving to us.

Funny thing is i truly dont think there has ever been a team and its fans cop as much scrutiny as we have this last year.

it is literally non stop from every media coverage there is. they are all giving there professional opinion on how it went wrong for us all while laughing the whole time.

Its sad that we have to endure more shit given to us then what even the sharks or storm had to deal with from breaking the rules.

There’s more chance of Boyd making a one-on-one tackle than Wayne ever returning to the club in an official capacity. Bridges are well and truly burnt on both sides imo.

Hodges as the Good Cop? You havin a laugh mate?
I think Walters demonstrated he's prepared to act to ensure discipline, and just because those coaches outwardly show a calm demeanour does not mean they are necessarily always "calm" away from the cameras.
Bennet was known to get quite cranky when he wasn't getting what he wanted from the players. The thing is he knew when to show it and when not to.
I think he was unique in how well he managed the emotive side of things, and the value of his ability can be seen with the current squad who have been "down" for nearly the entire season. That never happened under Bennet.
If Walters has even a fraction of that ability to get players in the right mindset on the field, we will go a long way to turning some of those performances around.

If after all this we go back to Wayne again we are so insanely deluded. There’s no undoing the mistake we made in turfing him the way we did, we need to accept that. Bringing him back now is not the answer. You can’t have a guy like him as coaching director. Players would be going to him instead of Walters for advice.

Seibold wasn’t the answer and we bungled our handling of the Bennett-Seibold switch but we need to keep moving forward not backwards

If after all this we go back to Wayne again we are so insanely deluded. There’s no undoing the mistake we made in turfing him the way we did, we need to accept that. Bringing him back now is not the answer. You can’t have a guy like him as coaching director. Players would be going to him instead of Walters for advice.

Seibold wasn’t the answer and we bungled our handling of the Bennett-Seibold switch but we need to keep moving forward not backwards
Morris and White won’t be here, you’d imagine other board members would go, if the people who knifed him are gone he’d come strolling back like Vince McMahon. I don’t want him to be coach, I think the ship has sailed and it’s Kevvies time but to have Wayne back in some capacity would be massive.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • Emanon
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
  • thenry
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.