Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
I have high hopes Milf will find his groove under Kev? The first and only thing any new coach needs to do is fix our D.
The attack will come but it sure helps if you're only have to score 12 to 18 points to win.
In my experience, you don't defend a lead until you're at least over 20 points. Teams can score 2-3 tries in the space of 10-15 minutes so you need to be up and over 20 for a win.

If Wayne was director of coaching and Walters head coach, in reality, it would revert to Walters being his assistant all over - in a sense.
Wayne wouldn’t have a problem with that but Kevvie certainly would.
Anyway I find it hard to believe until I hear it from the man himself.
One thing I am sure of is we need something along these lines to get the joint fixed up and ASAP.

Last edited:
I think if you had Bennett as a coaching director/advisor, Kevvie as head coach and then had someone like Parker and Hodges as assistants, that would almost be an instant fix on the cultural issues at the club. Might take a while to start to see some benefit on the field but it would definitely start to feel like the Broncos again. Would still probably need a tactician type assistant to be on board too (Hagan, Henry, Seibold etc)......

In an ideal world we get a good CEO, and a board clean out.

General Manager: Wayne Bennett
Head Coach: Kev Walters
Assistant coach: JD/Hagan/Thorn
Defensive Coach: Steve Kearny
Forwards coach: Corey Parker
Backs coach: Justin Hodges/Billy Slater
Captain: Cam Smith

There a story in the Courier today which talks about the ex coaches methods particularly regarding defence that @McHunt might work up later.
Firstly, it’s a Badel so who knows how much is truth and how much is fairytale but it points to how he lost the team and didn’t adapt but it also gives hope that some sort of turnaround may not be too hard next year with good coaching.

Wayne having said he'd happily take Darbs wherever he went.
Is this a reference to Bennett telling Boyd he had a place at St George, after Boyd was absolutely devastated the Broncos had told him he wasn't wanted beyond 2008?

In an ideal world we get a good CEO, and a board clean out.

General Manager: Wayne Bennett
Head Coach: Kev Walters
Assistant coach: JD/Hagan/Thorn
Defensive Coach: Steve Kearny
Forwards coach: Corey Parker
Backs coach: Justin Hodges/Billy Slater
Captain: Cam Smith
Unfortunately we have a coaching salary cap

Unfortunately we have a coaching salary cap
Would Bennett’s role count as coaching?
Kevvie would coach for peanuts, as would Hodgo and Parker who are already on the books.

You should see the roosters coaching team.

Last edited:
I think if you had Bennett as a coaching director/advisor, Kevvie as head coach and then had someone like Parker and Hodges as assistants, that would almost be an instant fix on the cultural issues at the club. Might take a while to start to see some benefit on the field but it would definitely start to feel like the Broncos again. Would still probably need a tactician type assistant to be on board too (Hagan, Henry, Seibold etc)......

Isn't it more complicated than just Bennett returning and weaving his magic? How can that "culture" be changed when the same board who got rid of Bennett is still in power, and is then asked to re-appoint Bennett to a critical role in the club that wanted him out? Am I missing something?

Also, if Bennett, then it looks like we can't get Ikin, who many on here want as CEO, given his reported rift with Bennett.

As for a change to our "toxic culture", from Ikin's perspective, I read that, when appointed to the QRL Board as an independent Director, Ikin asserted that our issues run much deeper than just the coach. He is reported to have said: “List management and players win premierships, not coaches. Get the list right and the rest will follow”. Sounds like a plan.

So again, if that well reported rift between Bennett and Ikin is true, if Ikin becomes our CEO it doesn't look like Bennett will be part of our club, so he won't be able to restore us to our former glory, and the same board remains anyway.

I'm still trying to join the dots ........... help.

Last edited:
Is this a reference to Bennett telling Boyd he had a place at St George, after Boyd was absolutely devastated the Broncos had told him he wasn't wanted beyond 2008?

Yes. It is also a reference to the very close friendship and ties they have together, even the same manager. I am not having a go at either in this context. I am as always, simply looking for everything that might be relevant in possible scenarios.

Their close ties are reflected in this:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/12/21/the-simple-words-behind-bennetts-bond-with-boyd/

There a story in the Courier today which talks about the ex coaches methods particularly regarding defence that @McHunt might work up later.
Firstly, it’s a Badel so who knows how much is truth and how much is fairytale but it points to how he lost the team and didn’t adapt but it also gives hope that some sort of turnaround may not be too hard next year with good coaching.

Yeah quite an interesting read and if true, you can understand why things turned to shit so quickly. Badel is saying he spoke to several current Broncos players who told him they were frustrated with Seib's methods. Basically, they said they were expected to "know how to drive a Ferrari without first knowing how to drive a car". They wanted to focus on getting the basics right, particularly around defensive structures etc. But Seibs wouldn't budge and only wanted to do what he thought best, i.e. over-complicate game plans, which most of them couldn't get a handle on.

Mention is even made that players thought because of the fact Seibs came from the Melbourne system, there would be a big focus on improving defence, but this was not the case. A group of senior players supposedly went to White and Lockyer to convey their concerns also.

Last edited:
Isn't it more complicated than just Bennett returning and weaving his magic? How can that "culture" be changed when the same board who got rid of Bennett is still in power, and is then asked to re-appoint Bennett to a critical role in the club that wanted him out? Am I missing something?

Also, if Bennett, then it looks like we can't get Ikin, who many on here want as CEO, given his reported rift with Bennett.

As for a change to our "toxic culture", from Ikin's perspective, I read that, when appointed to the QRL Board as an independent Director, Ikin asserted that our issues run much deeper than just the coach. He is reported to have said: “List management and players win premierships, not coaches. Get the list right and the rest will follow”. Sounds like a plan.

So again, if that well reported rift between Bennett and Ikin is true, if Ikin becomes our CEO it doesn't look like Bennett will be part of our club, so he won't be able to restore us to our former glory, and the same board remains anyway.

I'm still trying to join the dots ........... help.
The other night on 360 Ikin said he would put all his support behind Wayne being the next QLD coach, obviously its not the Broncos but is shows he is willing to work professionally and not get in the way of good business due to personal reasons.

The only way I can see this working is if all these men are coming with the best interests of the Broncos in mind. Ego's have to be put aside and there needs to be a healing and rebuilding like the league has never seen. I am not adverse to having Wayne back but it can't be as coach, the coach must be Kev. Kev as Coach, Hook as assistant and Wayne as some form of overseer. Then pull in some others like Petro, Hodgo and Parker and you have some DNA back in the place.

I am not giving up on this club.

The other night on 360 Ikin said he would put all his support behind Wayne being the next QLD coach, obviously its not the Broncos but is shows he is willing to work professionally and not get in the way of good business due to personal reasons.

The only way I can see this working is if all these men are coming with the best interests of the Broncos in mind. Ego's have to be put aside and there needs to be a healing and rebuilding like the league has never seen. I am not adverse to having Wayne back but it can't be as coach, the coach must be Kev. Kev as Coach, Hook as assistant and Wayne as some form of overseer. Then pull in some others like Petro, Hodgo and Parker and you have some DNA back in the place.

I am not giving up on this club.

Neither am I and I never will give up on this club and our team.

From what Ikin said as you post above, it seems to me he is, given his CEO aspirations, paving the way for Walters to come here as head coach with Bennett to replace him as coach of the Maroons, sort of a compromise if you will. I think however that there is an element of the personal in that, again, given his publicised rift with Bennett.

As for egos being put aside, absolutely. This won't work unless they are.

Maybe he’s right. Push from News but why. Surely if Kevvie is the one they want that’s who will be appointed.

Last edited:
Yea Id like to read that, or get the gist of it anyway

Looks like Ikin does not like the idea and he makes some good points. Wayne is to powerful and would not be able to stop himself from getting involved. Also the media would likely claim any success that the club has is Wayne's doing and not the coach. Looking at it this way I think Ikin is right. If Kev gets the job he just needs a good support crew not the greatest coach in the game looking over his shoulder.

Would prefer bellamy over Wayne in a coaching director role when he is finished at the storm.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Skyblues87
  • pennywisealfie
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Foordy
  • Painin the Haas
  • MrRobot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Lozza
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.