NEWS Nikorima ready to call the shots

I heard Ennis on triple M a few times last season and was amazed by how intelligent he is. For a little shit stirrer he has a wealth of knowledge about the game, wouldn't be surprised if he goes into coaching in the future.

Ennis on the pitch was a grub and one of the most hatable characters. On footy panels, he's well spoken, intelligent and one of my favourite analysts. What a world huh?

Ennis on the pitch was a grub and one of the most hatable characters. On footy panels, he's well spoken, intelligent and one of my favourite analysts. What a world huh?
Yeah it's almost impossible to dislike him when you hear him off the field. Seems like a really top bloke and someone you'd want either in your team or involved in it.

In a role of halfback natural leadership and game vision is required. You can force someone to learn these things but often it is not successful.

University's teach knowledge, schools teach knowledge.

Hi. Guess who played lock in their first year of grade, but through application, study and training made himself into a premier halfback?

Attachments

• 391EBA3C-4AB6-49BB-ADD7-AD0C681B52C0.jpeg
    391EBA3C-4AB6-49BB-ADD7-AD0C681B52C0.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 104
You can teach a parrot to talk but it can't speak.
No but if it gives good instructions then faking it in that case is making it.

How does what you said even work in the situation we're using???

Here is the thing, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to teach a player a position that relies a lot on instinct, natural ability and vision. if it could be done, why are we waiting until Nikorima turned 23 before we started the process? and why have we not been able to do it for the numerous halfbacks that we have had since Alfie retired in 2002?

you can teach some of the individual skills, like kicking (if you're name isn't Hunt :p ) passing etc, but if you don't have the natural ability and a sharp rugby league brain, then while you may be able to do a job, you'll never be elite.

no of course there are exceptions to every rule, but they are exceptionally rare, in fact, so rare that the only example anyone has been able to come up with is Cooper Cronk. and we are about to find out just how good he is without having one of the best rugby league minds in the business by his side every game.

Now of course Nikorima may have that natural ability inside him, and it may simply be a case of needing someone to help him access it, this could be where Walters comes in handy.

or it could be a case of Nikorima being a good athlete and being able to do a job, while his halves partner, who does have that natural ability, works his magic.

Wake me up when Niko becomes the next Cooper Cronk. At least the Alfie comparisons have subsided for now.

What do Ennis and Cronk have in common? An above average intelligence, especially when compared to most RL players.
That in itself makes a world of difference, as it provided them with a vision and game intelligence most players lack. But if you have the work ethic and physical ability on top of it, you get the quality you can't deny both these guys showed in their career.

I'm not writing Kodi off, as he probably has more talent than those two put together, although he hasn't shown the tools required for the job yet...

Ueah the intelligence is the thing that can't really be changed. Like Dave Taylor would have never been a real half. Sandow never made it as one either. Kodi does seem smarter than what I thought he'd be like in the 20s. If he can keep willing to keep changing even more and his footy brain is good, he might end up a good halfback.

The entitlement of broncos fans is a bit much, and it’s unfair on Kodi.

Throwing around words like ‘elite’, and names like ‘Cronk’ (I get the original posters point, it’s the misuse of that point in the replies I have issue with). Why does every position have to be filled with an elite player? Every successful rugby league teams have had elite players next to players who just did their jobs.

I’m sure Kodi has the potential to be anything but all I want from him is for him to do his job. I don’t need him to be Cronk, or elite, or Alfie. If he trains hard and can be relied on to do his job, and combine that with the great attitude he has shown toward our club, he’ll quickly become a favourite player of mine.

What do Ennis and Cronk have in common? An above average intelligence, especially when compared to most RL players.
That in itself makes a world of difference, as it provided them with a vision and game intelligence most players lack. But if you have the work ethic and physical ability on top of it, you get the quality you can't deny both these guys showed in their career.

I'm not writing Kodi off, as he probably has more talent than those two put together, although he hasn't shown the tools required for the job yet...

Yeah Cronk wasn't playing half but he wasn't walking around with a witches hat on his head either. He was versatile and smart using half skills and particularly excellent communication. I think Cronk's lack of position helped him because he has excellent game awareness and excellent understanding of other positions. He wasn't just the awesome 7 from under 8's on.

2000 Queensland and Australia inside centre for Australian Schoolboys. Muppet got him across to Norths Colts and he played centre, 6 and fullback in 2001. Norths got rolled in the GF 24-22 by Dolphins.

Watch the 2002 ISC Grand Final qualifier- Cronk at fullback brilliant break straight up the middle. He was smart. Again they lost though. Goes straight past Seibold!

Cronk first 13 games for the Storm- one at half and 12 off the bench. The next year nine at 6 and 11 off the bench. Then 2006 27 at 7.

He's not dissimilar to Nikormia really who has played bench, hooker, half, fullback and wing.

Why does every position have to be filled with an elite player?

you're right not every position needs to be filled by an "elite" player ... but Halfback is a different story IMO

you're right not every position needs to be filled by an "elite" player ... but Halfback is a different story IMO
Unless you have an elite 5/8. See Broncos 2006 for example.

my biggest problem is the lack of long kicking between the two. I've never had an issue with kodi's instincts, but its when you have to game manage that there's a question mark.

let's see how he does. he didn't do too badly when he was thrusted in there. we have nothing to lose as we dont have anyone waiting in the wings just yet.

Exactly... and Broncos are absolutely stinging for a good halfback. It's been a long time and probably the main reason for our premiership drought.

Active Now

• Reds2011
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • davidp
  • Gaz
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • winslow_wong
  • Cavalo
  • ezpz
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • maddo
  • LGH
  • simplythebest
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • sooticus
  • bert_lifts
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.