NEWS Nikorima ready to call the shots

Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
We can all have an opinion but the bottom line is this, Kodi is a wonderful player. What I saw of him last season playing 7 impressed me, especially his running game and pass selection. But, he must improve his game management and kicking game. That's all. His defence isn't too bad, he can be protected but its his game management and kicking game that he really needs to focus on.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He may become one (hopefully), but he definitely isn't one now.

We’re all hoping he becomes a great halfback but right now, he’s a good one, just one that we hope develops a certain skill set. And to be fair to the kid, he isn’t the half getting paid a million a year to be great. All the pressure should be on Milford.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
We will see. Its hard to learn a Talent that needs to be natural.

How does it need to be natural? So you are saying you can't learn game management and kicking? That is just wrong.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
There are two types of people who follow rugby league, both see different games. Ones that have played, coached or were grade players and the other are ones who think they know rugby league well, can read stats and gain knowledge from newspaper articles and the half time tech segment on a play.

Wayne is persisting with Kodi because there is no other choice.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
There are two types of people who follow rugby league, both see different games. Ones that have played, coached or were grade players and the other are ones who think they know rugby league well, can read stats and gain knowledge from newspaper articles and the half time tech segment on a play.

That is a legitimately flawed point of view. People from both groups can be equally wrong or right. Just look how wrong some of the commentators playing years of top tier NRL can be at times.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
That is a legitimately flawed point of view. People from both groups can be equally wrong or right. Just look how wrong some of the commentators playing years of top tier NRL can be at times.
Exactly. I'd take a smart fan's opinion (emphasis on smart) over a Channel 9 commentator's 9 times out of 10.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
We can all have an opinion but the bottom line is this, Kodi is a wonderful player. What I saw of him last season playing 7 impressed me, especially his running game and pass selection. But, he must improve his game management and kicking game. That's all. His defence isn't too bad, he can be protected but its his game management and kicking game that he really needs to focus on.
Also his talk. Which he has spoken out about and said he needs to improve on that aspect. He has been doing extras at training with the forwards just getting used to being in charge of them. So impressed by that. It was his own initiative he took to Bennett. Since I read that article I've been very in his corner.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014

Both of these "2 types" still have no clue and assume and guess on matters of selection and Wayne's reasoning... Unless you are sitting in on coaches meetings non of us have any idea. Last season we were all speculating on how Moga had zero chances of being any more than backup and although he was patchy played every game and turned his career around. Same was said about Blair.... I think if Wayne didn't think Kodi could get the job done he wouldn't be persisting.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
In essence I agree with @Porthoz at the moment, Nikorima isn't a good Halfback just yet. But I like his prospects of becoming one, it's going to boil down to a few variables like how hard he works at training, how much Walters can influence him & Milford in the off-season, how he gels with the potential new right hand side attack (Have we found out if Jimmy is staying on the right yet? There was a whisper of him moving to the left to accommodate for Birds eventual inclusion.)

All I'll say is that Hunt virtually didn't improve his game in the space of 6 off-seasons, I'm confident we'll see more growth out of Kodi.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
you're right not every position needs to be filled by an "elite" player ... but Halfback is a different story IMO
There’s a few oteams who have won the gf in recent history with a far less talented half than Niko.

Sharks, Dragons, Broncos.
Just off the top of my head.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
There’s a few oteams who have won the gf in recent history with a far less talented half than Niko.

Sharks, Dragons, Broncos.
Just off the top of my head.

To be honest though, each of those teams had someone doing the steady organising role, Perry and Lockyer shared it in 06, Hornby at the Dragons and Ennis at the Sharks. If Niko picks that skill up he can stay there until he retires.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
How would you know? He hasn't played a game in how long?
I can only judge what he has done so far in his career, and up till now, he hasn't shown the tools a capable halfback needs. Whether that changes in the future is yet to be determined.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Broncos are doing an 'Agree or Disagree' video thing on Twitter with Yow Yeh and some other bloke and Yow Yeh said "Kodi's come into his own now, he's a lot more structured. That's what they've sorta been working on for 2018". Must have been a busy two weeks for Kodi if he's learned how to be structured already!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
We’re all hoping he becomes a great halfback but right now, he’s a good one, just one that we hope develops a certain skill set. And to be fair to the kid, he isn’t the half getting paid a million a year to be great. All the pressure should be on Milford.
It just depends on what you expect from a halfback.
In my book, the most important aspects of a first receiver, are organisation and game control, paired with a good kicking game. He hasn't shown any particular aptitude in any of those areas.
So no... he's not a good halfback, he's a great running half, which we don't really need, given we have an even better one in Milford, which is why he has that price tag, not to be our halfback.

Should we start blaming milford for our lack of go forward and make him take hit-ups because of his price tag too?

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
It just depends on what you expect from a halfback.
In my book, the most important aspects of a first receiver, are organisation and game control, paired with a good kicking game. He hasn't shown any particular aptitude in any of those areas.
So no... he's not a good halfback, he's a great running half, which we don't really need, given we have an even better one in Milford, which is why he has that price tag, not to be our halfback.

Should we start blaming milford for our lack of go forward and make him take hit-ups because of his price tag too?

Thankyou Porthoz and Cult3, im glad we have some people with a good understanding of the game. Everytime i suggest these things i get burned down.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Behind enemy lines
  • LittleDavey
  • Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • marw
  • GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Midean
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.