Nines / Trial Games

I do hope we see a rise of alternate NRL commentary, people like Denan Kemp and Clarkey are already providing a way fresher, more fun and interesting alternative to the channel 9 / fox guys. In an increasingly corporate environment we are getting a chance to see the players as people, not dollar signs

I also don’t mind a bit of bias in commentary, as long as they aren’t pretending to not be bias. I really liked and should continue to do it like it was last night, one home supporter one away supporter in the box - I don’t need Gavin Cooper to blow smoke up Haas’s ass if JYY is there to do it.

I loved how it was a trial game and JYY was still so invested at the end that he was audibly nervous.

I was going through the process of putting stats together only to learn when I was finished NRL.com had already completed their own. It's interesting how much we deviated on certain players but it certainly paints the game in a different light. It also illustrates how misleading stats can be and how certain runs look more than impressive than what they are and vice versa.

It's difficult to be too critical of the attack, for the most part I thought it looked identical to 2019 but the conditions didn't allow for an expansive game. The only difference I really noted was Croft's kicking game and how it's bringing Milford into the game. There were a couple of kicks for him and it's going to pay off at some point. Otherwise, the attack down the left hand side looked strong, the right hand side didn't see enough ball.

I was really interested to watch the defence, but it appears little has changed there as well. The players are still struggling to catch and work the defender over and not enough of them make good first contact. Then when it seems like they gain some ascedancy they give away a dumb penalty. It's the biggest issue at the club and it's really something they have to work on through out the season.

It was difficult to make heads or tails of the fullback situation. If you had to pick one, Bird was more involved so it's him by default but he never once posed a threat.

Otherwise Arthars, Farnworth & Carrigan all made cases for themselves, Coates may have taken himself out of the running and the rookies didn't look out of place.

BP Stats Broncos MotM: Patrick Carrigan (61 Minutes, 15 Runs, 121m, 1 Offload, 40 Tackles, 3 Missed/Ineffective, 1 Penalty Conceded)

I agree with your comments on the defence. Not much has changed since last year, or the year before that. What I saw as a slow moving defensive line which let's the attacker run too far, get momentum and build field position, at the same time making it harder to catch and work the defender over who often offloads to a support given the space and time they are allowed. For mine it is easier to hit and stop a ball carrier before they get to speed and their attacking shape gets time to set.

I worry about our defence big time.

I agree with your comments on the defence. Not much has changed since last year, or the year before that. What I saw as a slow moving defensive line which let's the attacker run too far, get momentum and build field position, at the same time making it harder to catch and work the defender over who often offloads to a support given the space and time they are allowed. For mine it is easier to hit and stop a ball carrier before they get to speed and their attacking shape gets time to set.

I worry about our defence big time.
Its been our biggest problem for about 4 years, since Hodges retired. I'm not panicking yet because that game was at the start of the year, in atrocious conditions, with a backline coming together for pretty much the first time. That said you want to see improvement in the next game with dryer conditions and a more settled approach.
I'm hoping there's a bit more of a concerted game plan too.

I do think though that the Broncs defense is a problem because it seems any time they get the upper hand in a tackle, they immediately get penalised. Anytime they push up and pin a side in their red zone, you can guarantee that side will get a piggy back penalty or two and all that effort goes to waste.

Dont talk wet. We easily have the team to do it.
To do what? Make the 8? Big deal. It's always been a given that the Broncos see some post season action. We need to see some vast improvement from last year in order for it to be a successful season. An unsettled spine and lack of forward depth and an already key long term injury will make that task difficult. They will again finish in that 7th-11th corridor. Anything above that will be a massive achievement.

Just to show you how crap people think we will be ...

We are 9th favourites for the Premiership at $21.

Normally we are at least top 4-5 favourites to win the comp.

The gulf between what some people think of this team on here and what everyone else thinks is pretty vast.

I’d be happy just to make the 8 with this team.

In regards to our defence I think the main thing that I notice compared to other team's defence is that we can be solid for a period of time and then we lapse and allow the opposition to get through the front line for a quick ptb and then we can't neutralise the flow on and momentum created from it.

I would say in general that is a technique thing, but there are also fatigue, awareness, concentration, urgency, etc issue as well... we do some of the fundamentals correctly by wrapping the legs and getting them on their back, but we still provide far too many opportunities where there's a lack of urgency to get back into the defensive line and guys lying around the ruck, which the opposition then exploits to get their roll on.

I think for the last try in the cows trial Flegler (I believe) was lying in the ruck on our try line and the dummy half just crashed over. That's a lack of urgency to get off the ground and get back into position, it's also a lack of technique to be in that position in the first place (Flegler shouldn't allow himself to end up there and the guys up top should be maneuvering the ball handler so he doesn't end up on top of our defender and leave us short), but Flegler played big minutes and it's likely fatigue was setting in massively across the park... so as a last resort they should've just given away the penalty to regroup and defend the next set, it's a lack of awareness that they didn't give away the penalty... Flegler wasn't getting up and the ptb was 1m out, give away the penalty and start again. Realistically it should be a professional foul, but the NRL are piss weak and allow that shit to happen every game.

I think they are the main issues (fatigue, technique and awareness), because we as a team just aren't really used to defending in that way. We lapse for a short period either through fatigue, concentration, etc. and aren't able to regroup on the fly or give away the penalty and start again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how well these will turn out, but these are the stats I came up with for the game.

MinutesTriesRunsMetresLine-BreaksTackle-BreaksLBATAOffloadsTacklesMissed TacklesKicksErrorsPenalties
Jack Bird
40​
9​
69​
3​
Herbie Farnworth
80​
12​
118​
1​
1​
5​
1​
Kotoni Staggs
59​
9​
64​
1​
3​
2​
10​
2​
2​
Jesse Arthars
65​
2​
13​
105​
2​
1​
2​
11​
2​
Xavier Coates
74​
12​
55​
1​
5​
1​
1​
Anthony Milford
51​
1​
3​
33​
2​
2​
7​
1​
8​
Brodie Croft
40​
4​
29​
12​
1​
6​
Tevita Pangai
65​
11​
106​
1​
4​
32​
4​
1​
Jake Turpin
61​
3​
4​
41​
2​
1​
1​
Payne Haas
30​
7​
114​
1​
4​
19​
2​
Alex Glenn
19​
2​
16​
2​
8​
1​
1​
Ethan Bullemor
70​
3​
10​
26​
1​
1​
Patrick Carrigan
61​
15​
121​
1​
40​
3​
1​
Jamayne Isaako
40​
6​
45​
4​
1​
Richie Kennar
21​
4​
19​
1​
1​
Tesi Niu
30​
7​
63​
3​
2​
Tom Dearden
40​
2​
6​
15​
1​
5​
1​
Cory Paix
40​
2​
6​
8​
1​
1​
Thomas Flegler
43​
5​
38​
2​
33​
2​
1​
3​
Joe Ofahengaue
52​
11​
104​
2​
1​
24​
3​
Rhys Kennedy
23​
6​
43​
17​
2​
1​
Jamil Hopoate
37​
7​
76​
23​
2​
1​

I'm not sure how well these will turn out, but these are the stats I came up with for the game.

MinutesTriesRunsMetresLine-BreaksTackle-BreaksLBATAOffloadsTacklesMissed TacklesKicksErrorsPenalties
Jack Bird
40​
9​
69​
3​
Herbie Farnworth
80​
12​
118​
1​
1​
5​
1​
Kotoni Staggs
59​
9​
64​
1​
3​
2​
10​
2​
2​
Jesse Arthars
65​
2​
13​
105​
2​
1​
2​
11​
2​
Xavier Coates
74​
12​
55​
1​
5​
1​
1​
Anthony Milford
51​
1​
3​
33​
2​
2​
7​
1​
8​
Brodie Croft
40​
4​
29​
12​
1​
6​
Tevita Pangai
65​
11​
106​
1​
4​
32​
4​
1​
Jake Turpin
61​
3​
4​
41​
2​
1​
1​
Payne Haas
30​
7​
114​
1​
4​
19​
2​
Alex Glenn
19​
2​
16​
2​
8​
1​
1​
Ethan Bullemor
70​
3​
10​
26​
1​
1​
Patrick Carrigan
61​
15​
121​
1​
40​
3​
1​
Jamayne Isaako
40​
6​
45​
4​
1​
Richie Kennar
21​
4​
19​
1​
1​
Tesi Niu
30​
7​
63​
3​
2​
Tom Dearden
40​
2​
6​
15​
1​
5​
1​
Cory Paix
40​
2​
6​
8​
1​
1​
Thomas Flegler
43​
5​
38​
2​
33​
2​
1​
3​
Joe Ofahengaue
52​
11​
104​
2​
1​
24​
3​
Rhys Kennedy
23​
6​
43​
17​
2​
1​
Jamil Hopoate
37​
7​
76​
23​
2​
1​
Happy to employ you as the full time statistician for SVRL mate... will a pie and a beer do?

To do what? Make the 8? Big deal. It's always been a given that the Broncos see some post season action. We need to see some vast improvement from last year in order for it to be a successful season. An unsettled spine and lack of forward depth and an already key long term injury will make that task difficult. They will again finish in that 7th-11th corridor. Anything above that will be a massive achievement.

No, to make top 6. We are more than capable of 6th or higher. If we just improve our ball handling and complete our sets from what we did in 2019 we will finish top 6. So much negativity on here. Even losing lodge i cant see why we wouldnt finish 6th or higher. We arent as weak as some of you lot think we are.

No, to make top 6. We are more than capable of 6th or higher. If we just improve our ball handling and complete our sets from what we did in 2019 we will finish top 6. So much negativity on here. Even losing lodge i cant see why we wouldnt finish 6th or higher. We arent as weak as some of you lot think we are.
Top 6 isn't an improvement on what we did two years ago. This team isn't top 4 material, I'm not sure if it's even playoff material. There are so many question marks. Only time will tell.

Top 6 isn't an improvement on what we did two years ago. This team isn't top 4 material, I'm not sure if it's even playoff material. There are so many question marks. Only time will tell.
We have enough players with ability to get us up there, question is are the right ones going to be selected to give us that chance.

Why are we talking about 2018?

Top six is easily achievable this year. If we fail it will either be down to the players desire, or it will be down to the coach and his gameplan and him picking underperformers like in 2019.

We have a quality pack, we have strike in the backline and we have one of the best halves in the game in Milf. Croft will help with game management as well. We clearly have a lot of talented players, and the younger guys are now one year older and wiser. Anything but top six is failure.

Why are we talking about 2018?

Top six is easily achievable this year. If we fail it will either be down to the players desire, or it will be down to the coach and his gameplan and him picking underperformers like in 2019.

We have a quality pack, we have strike in the backline and we have one of the best halves in the game in Milf. Croft will help with game management as well. We clearly have a lot of talented players, and the younger guys are now one year older and wiser. Anything but top six is failure.

There's really no point trying to debate with him.

If Bennett was still coach or even if Seibold wasn't coach, he would have a much different tune about this team. He's just bitter.

Why do you support a team that you hate so much?

There's really no point trying to debate with him.

If Bennett was still coach or even if Seibold wasn't coach, he would have a much different tune about this team. He's just bitter.
Bitter is a pretty harsh word, maybe if the Broncos were the #1 thing in my life (like it is with you), then I might be bitter. But they are just one of my many interests so "disappointed " might be a better term. That has nothing to do with the forecast of the 2020 season. I know you don't like to hear it because the Broncos are your whole world but they are going to have their struggles.

Chris Honnery from The Courier-Mail tips Oates, Boyd, Macca and Glenn to be back for the Redcliffe trial against The Titans this weekend:

Seibold on Oates:

“The plan for Oatesy is to play him in the last trial against the Titans,” Seibold said earlier this month. He was going great guns prior to Christmas and then he was in hospital for nine or 10 days. It’ll take a bit of time so we want to be smart about that and give him some time against the Titans. Oatesy, when he’s at his best, is like a rep player. He’s played Origin. He was a little bit inconsistent for us last year but I’ve been really happy with how he’s been at training.”

Honnery speculates:

"Seibold has given his tick of approval for halves pairing Anthony Milford and Brodie Croft, but is still to decide on his starting fullback, with Jamayne Isaako and Jack Bird battling for the No.1 jersey. Boyd is expected to line up at left centre for Round 1, although new recruit Jesse Arthars pressed his case with a two-try haul in the trial loss to the Cowboys."

McHunt
[automerge]1582530848[/automerge]
What Badel, in the Courier Mail, "learnt from the trial:"

1. "The Cowboys have unearthed a hooking sensation in Reece Robson. The 21-year-old played nine games in two seasons at the Dragons and looks ready to cement himself as an NRL game-breaker for the Cowboys. Robson’s service from dummy half is crisp and he has the power to bust tackles. One line-break against the Broncos, in which Robson sliced them up the middle, showed he has the speed to give North Queensland the spark Jake Granville provided in the club’s premiership-winning year in 2015. Robson could be one of the buys of the season. "

2. "The Anthony Milford-Brodie Croft scrumbase combination is looking good. Finally, have the Broncos found the halves that can take them to a premiership? Titles aren’t won in February trials, but Milford and Croft could do more in their debut outing as Brisbane’s new scrumbase pairing. Milford was the best player on the park, setting up two tries and scoring one himself. Croft only played 40 minutes, but his passing was crisp, his kicking was judicious and he showed he has the confidence and strong voice to marshal Brisbane’s attack. Milford just needs a steady hand to let him roam and work his magic. Croft looks a nice fit."

3. "Rival props Payne Haas and Frank Molo look primed for bumper seasons. Haas played just 30 minutes but in that time the 117kg hulk brushed aside Cowboys defenders like they were from the Townsville under-11s. It’s frightening how a man so big can be so mobile and fit. Molo, meanwhile, was outstanding for the Cowboys. The former Broncos prop has never quite stamped his mark on the NRL but at 25 he is still young enough to have a long career. Molo made a number of bruising charges and with Matt Scott having retired, the No.8 jumper is there for the taking."

McHunt

Last edited:

Jack Bird
40​
9​
69​
3​
Herbie Farnworth
80​
12​
118​
1​
1​
5​
1​
Kotoni Staggs
59​
9​
64​
1​
3​
2​
10​
2​
2​
Jesse Arthars
65​
2​
13​
105​
2​
1​
2​
11​
2​
Xavier Coates
74​
12​
55​
1​
5​
1​
1​
Anthony Milford
51​
1​
3​
33​
2​
2​
7​
1​
8​
Brodie Croft
40​
4​
29​
12​
1​
6​
Tevita Pangai
65​
11​
106​
1​
4​
32​
4​
1​
Jake Turpin
61​
3​
4​
41​
2​
1​
1​
Payne Haas
30​
7​
114​
1​
4​
19​
2​
Alex Glenn
19​
2​
16​
2​
8​
1​
1​
Ethan Bullemor
70​
3​
10​
26​
1​
1​
Patrick Carrigan
61​
15​
121​
1​
40​
3​
1​
Jamayne Isaako
40​
6​
45​
4​
1​
Richie Kennar
21​
4​
19​
1​
1​
Tesi Niu
30​
7​
63​
3​
2​
Tom Dearden
40​
2​
6​
15​
1​
5​
1​
Cory Paix
40​
2​
6​
8​
1​
1​
Thomas Flegler
43​
5​
38​
2​
33​
2​
1​
3​
Joe Ofahengaue
52​
11​
104​
2​
1​
24​
3​
Rhys Kennedy
23​
6​
43​
17​
2​
1​
Jamil Hopoate
37​
7​
76​
23​
2​
1​
Carrigan towered over this game. This is his year.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • broncoscope
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • Griffo
  • Tim K
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
  • Alec
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.