Nines / Trial Games

Bird himself has previously said he isn't fast enough for fullback. Is this a concern?
Dont like this decision by the coach. Just another square peg in a round hole move just to accomodate Darius.
And unlike Boyd, his competitive nature trying to impress at the back will render himself to be a tackle or an awkward run from a 3rd consecutive long term injury.
Bird is a centre/lock for mine but preferably off the bench in the 14 for the opening rounds till match fit.

Trial team v Titans
1Jack Bird
2Corey Oates
3Kotoni Staggs
4Darius Boyd
5Xavier Coates
6Anthony Milford
7Brodie Croft
8Tom Flegler
9Jake Turpin
10Payne Haas
11David Fifita
12Tevita Pangai Jnr
13Patrick Carrigan
Interchange
14Jamayne Isaako
15Herbie Farnworth
16Jesse Arthars
17Tesi Niu
18Richie Kennar
19Tom Dearden
20Tyson Gamble
21Jordan Riki
22Andrew McCullough
23Joe Ofahengaue
24Rhys Kennedy
25Jamil Hopoate
26Ethan Bullemor
May have been obvious to most, but I just realised this is 2 seperate teams really. I'm guessing one will play first half and the 2nd team will play the next half. Maybe I'm wrong but the numbers (5 backs, 2 halves, 5 forwards and 1 hooker all in order) seems a little too coincidental. If it is a 2nd team would explain the harsh decision to not pick paix a little more, especially with gamble picked. Also if it is a 2nd side could he be firing a warning shot at milford a little more with dearden at 5/8th, and the forwards are interesting with bullemore at lock and Kennedy in the 2nd row with riki in the front row. Testing some options maybe.

May have been obvious to most, but I just realised this is 2 seperate teams really. I'm guessing one will play first half and the 2nd team will play the next half. Maybe I'm wrong but the numbers (5 backs, 2 halves, 5 forwards and 1 hooker all in order) seems a little too coincidental. If it is a 2nd team would explain the harsh decision to not pick paix a little more, especially with gamble picked. Also if it is a 2nd side could he be firing a warning shot at milford a little more with dearden at 5/8th, and the forwards are interesting with bullemore at lock and Kennedy in the 2nd row with riki in the front row. Testing some options maybe.

good pick-up ... i never noticed that until you mentioned it

Dont like this decision by the coach. Just another square peg in a round hole move just to accomodate Darius.
And unlike Boyd, his competitive nature trying to impress at the back will render himself to be a tackle or an awkward run from a 3rd consecutive long term injury.
Bird is a centre/lock for mine but preferably off the bench in the 14 for the opening rounds till match fit.

absolutely nothing to do with trying to accommodate Boyd. it is entirely because Bird has outperformed Isaako during the trials ...

absolutely nothing to do with trying to accommodate Boyd. it is entirely because Bird has outperformed Isaako during the trials ...

That isn’t saying a hell of a lot though. If he can catch and tackle, he is unfortunately already way ahead of Isaako...

It'll be interesting to see how the Boyd contract clause plays out this year.
From memory he has to play in 15 games throughout the season to trigger his contract for 2021.
IF he plays ok-good to start the season I'm not convinced he will be dropped back to Q cup.
I think the club will look at it in the light that 450k (next yr for Boyd) isn't too bad for the experience he has - not that myself or many here will agree with that, but when we are struggling for experienced players I get that will be the rubbish fed to the fans..

Ali injured against Souths and out until April- will miss the QRLW season.

Shit. Was considering going and watching that game but the weather put me off (and the fact it was Sunday at 4)

What sort of injury? Doesn’t sound too bad being only a month/~6 weeks

I just don't think you understand why fans are so critical of McCullough and why they want changes at 9.

That comment is plain stupid. Of course i do. He hasnt been sharp enough in his work in attack. But what Macca does anyway is irrelevant when we are talking about another player. You judge each players performance based on the game they have just played, you dont judge a players performance based on the poor performance of Andrew McCullough in 2019. Like i said, if you arent consistent about how you criticise or praise each player, you are a hypocrite. Criticism isnt and doesnt have to be a negative if you can take something from it.
[automerge]1582667109[/automerge]
I'm definitely biased against Macca, I'm fucking sick of the guy. I have literally been calling for him to be axed since 2010. That's how far back my get him out of the team attitude stretches.

Honestly, Turpin could be just as shit and it wouldn't bother me as long as he got turfed in a few months instead of being given 10 years.

It's not actually Macca himself that bothers me, great clubman, great bloke, great attitude, shit player. It's the club/successive coaches who have persisted with him and never looked to sign someone better in 10 years of mediocrity in arguably the most or top 3 most important position on the field.

Thats a great post. Everyone has a bias to one player or another, but you are bang on. If the coach is doing his job, poor performance should see you out the team.

Last edited:
Shit. Was considering going and watching that game but the weather put me off (and the fact it was Sunday at 4)

What sort of injury? Doesn’t sound too bad being only a month/~6 weeks

syndesmosis- surgery this week and then again in six weeks time- back running in April I should have said not back playing.

syndesmosis- surgery this week and then again in six weeks time- back running in April I should have said not back playing.

Damn. Won’t have long before Origin. If she doesn’t make it we’re in real trouble (more than we probably already are)

But what Macca does anyway is irrelevant when we are talking about another player.

Bingo, so there was no reason to bring him up when he didn't play. Especially since there's a reason why fans have different expectations.

My comment was to keep you on track because you were starting to go all over the place.

Bingo, so there was no reason to bring him up when he didn't play. Especially since there's a reason why fans have different expectations.

My comment was to keep you on track because you were starting to go all over the place.

My apologies, it was my fault as i didnt contextualize my first post very well. In my head i put a smiley face at the end of it, in reality i didnt do it, it wasnt actually meant to be a comparison between Jake and Macca.

But i dont back down from what i said at all about the hypocrisy, if somebody plays poorly, we shouldnt make any excuses for them. Sure we can make an allowance if a player is playing injured, or if their lack of experience caused them to make an error of judgement, we shouldnt be afraid to be critical if they play badly ,but there is a subtle difference there.

I do think people lose patience with some players ( Sadly, I actually think that Coates is going to become the next scapegoat and it wont matter to some if he is young or not ) and i see why sometimes ( especially last year with Boyd and Macca ), but really, if a player is playing poorly most weeks, then i've always maintained its the coach that should cop more of the flak than the player. He is the one with the power to put an end to it.

My apologies, it was my fault as i didnt contextualize my first post very well. In my head i put a smiley face at the end of it, in reality i didnt do it, it wasnt actually meant to be a comparison between Jake and Macca.

But i dont back down from what i said at all about the hypocrisy, if somebody plays poorly, we shouldnt make any excuses for them. Sure we can make an allowance if a player is playing injured, or if their lack of experience caused them to make an error of judgement, we shouldnt be afraid to be critical if they play badly ,but there is a subtle difference there.

I do think people lose patience with some players ( Sadly, I actually think that Coates is going to become the next scapegoat and it wont matter to some if he is young or not ) and i see why sometimes ( especially last year with Boyd and Macca ), but really, if a player is playing poorly most weeks, then i've always maintained its the coach that should cop more of the flak than the player. He is the one with the power to put an end to it.

I just think we're discussing seperate topics.

You're talking about player criticism and how fans shouldn't turn a blind eye because their rookies or what have you.

I'm saying Andrew McCullough is irrelevant to the discussion because fans have seen enough of him and demand changes. Either McCullough changes his approach to football, or the club moves on and gives somebody else an opportunity. Unless McCullough can show some leadership and creativity he's going to cop it and after 11 unsuccessful campaigns.

The jury is out on Turpin, so fans aren't going to lose their minds over a solid performance like they would if it was McCullough. In the same way Melbourne Storm fans wouldn't lose their minds if Cameron Smith had have delivered the same performance, or South Sydney fans wouldn't have lost theirs if it was Damien Cook.

To me it's not a matter of Jake Turpin vs. Andrew McCullough as much as it's Andrew McCullough vs. change.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm ignoring your other points either. I just think they're other rabbit holes and I just want to hit this topic on it's head.

If we don't put at least 24 points on this titans side I'll be disappointed.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.