No Barba = Hodges to Fullback?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I know, it's a massive risk. I don't need anyone to remind me that Hodges hamstrings are comparable to soggy Oreos, but if we don't sign Barba as we all believe we will, we may not have any other option. I am really not sure about Kahu to number 1. From what I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to have the pace to be able to make an impact from the rear of the field. He seems to have the ball handling skills but that's about all.

Hodges intercept last night proved to me that he can still move with some real gusto. Couple that with his fend and he seems like the best option at this stage until we can find a younger player who can manage it. Hoffman can stay on the wing or piss off to another club, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Mate whilst I don't totally disagree with you but if anything tonight proved that hodges probably shouldn't play fullback if you want somebody with pace. He should have been able to run away and score that try once he took the intercept but instead had to pass to maranta who couldn't catch a fucking turtle on a good day.

He has some ball playing ability but what's the use really. He probably has two more season after this one. We need somebody young with pace who isn't afraid to run the ball back hard like K Hunt did and who has ball playing ability. If we don't sign Barba it's Kahu for me.

He wouldn't last 1 game, simple as that. No Barba = Hoffman/Kahu or whoever else they blood in the off season, I would say Hoffman has it next year though

If we don't get Barba, it doesn't matter who we stick at fullback, we'll still stink.

We've spent this entire season with Norman at fullback. As far as I'm concerned, once he signed for Parramatta, that should have been it for his Broncos career. At most, let him play a couple of games until we start heading in the right direction. Obviously, that hasn't happened, so who's to say that Hoffman wouldn't have done a good job at fullback. Getting Barba would we great, but we have to assume that we won't get him for the sake of not getting caught short. So I say, put Hoffman at fullback.

Hodges only passed to maranta because dip shit said he wanted to unleash his blinding speed and be the broncos x factor. It's a shame we all believed it.

I'm all for it. I reckon with a full offseason under his belt and Kevin Walters as coach it would be a great way for him to finish his career.

No. He's too old. He agrees now too. I mean, the one time in his life he's passed to his winger was last night, because he knew he didn't have the speed. And he gave it to fucking Maranta.

Hodges intercept last night proved to me that he can still move with some real gusto.

Real gusto ......LOL

If anything, Hodges intercept last night proved once and for all he can't and won't be able to play fullback.

He sprinted for about 10m and instantly recognised that he wasn't going to be able to run the distance and was looking around for support. It reminded me of watching an over 40's game where someone found themselves in the clear and almost died of a heart attack realising that they'd have to run the length of the field to score.

GI....Barba....Stewart....Dugan would have all pinned their ears back and let loose.

We should be buying/grooming a youngster to take over the fullback role if we can't get Barba.

Hodgo should see out his career with us in his favoured center position IMO.

Hodges only passed to maranta because dip shit said he wanted to unleash his blinding speed and be the broncos x factor. It's a shame we all believed it.

I fucking hear ya. I thought he was a state champion sprinter, no idea how he didn't score under the posts.

When he passed it to Maranta I thought awesome, he can actually choose between two scoring options here, to the Left or right, then I watched him run with the ball and felt my nuts shrink as he botched both options.

When he passed it to Maranta I thought awesome, he can actually choose between two scoring options here, to the Left or right, then I watched him run with the ball and felt my nuts shrink as he botched both options.

He just didn't back himself. He gave up. He slowed down, not 'cos he was puffed but 'cos he wanted help when none was remotely within cooee. That is poor finishing.

In any case, I really would like to see Kahu at the back

Last edited:
My only fear with Kahu is that he's pretty short IIRC? What's he like on the jump? Under the high ball? Our blocking is usually pretty shitty... And positioning - Norman keeps getting caught out (although he has improved through the season) - has Kahu played FB?

My only fear with Kahu is that he's pretty short IIRC? What's he like on the jump? Under the high ball? Our blocking is usually pretty ****ty... And positioning - Norman keeps getting caught out (although he has improved through the season) - has Kahu played FB?

I understand he has played FB and he is about the same height as Hoffman, Copley and Norman. From memory he is at least 5 cms taller than Barba.

Norman is not a FB. If he has to play, get rid of Prince and put Norman at 6, Kahu at FB, Kemp wing and Oates or Gibb in the centres to cover Reed's spot

Hodges at fullback won't work. His body isn't up to it to begin with. He is closing in on his last season or 2 so he would only be a short term solution anyway. I am a little disappointed we don't have a few more options in the 20's to fill the role but we have had some bad luck in that regard.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • marw
  • kiwi2
  • Manifesto
  • Financeguy
  • kiwibronco
  • Browny
  • sooticus
  • heartly87
  • whykickamoocow
  • Thelmus
  • lynx000
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.