No booze ban for Broncos

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRISBANE skipper Darius Boyd says Broncos players have no plans to follow the booze-free blueprint that inspired the club’s most recent premiership victory.

Boyd was a 19-year-old greenhorn in the 2006 Brisbane squad which made a pact to shun alcohol late in the season after five consecutive losses left the Broncos’ title hopes in tatters.

The sacrifice proved a masterstroke, with the teetotalling Broncos winning six of their final seven games, including their 15-8 boilover against Melbourne in the decider, to clinch a fairytale premiership.

The booze-free tactic has worked elsewhere, with Trent Robinson’s Roosters side winning the 2013 premiership after swearing off the drink in the final eight weeks of the season.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is well-known for being a non-drinker but Boyd says there is no pressure from Brisbane hierarchy for the squad to emulate the title-winning 2006 squad.

“There’s no booze ban,” Boyd said.

“We actually had a booze ban in 2006 and it seemed to work because we won the premiership.

“I guess it’s up to the club, the team and the management and whatever they think.

“At the end of the day, it’s not so much about drinking, it’s more the mentality of the sacrifice and putting the team first.

“It doesn’t necessarily have to be giving up alcohol, it could be arriving at training early or doing extras after training.

“We have some set rules but it’s more about respecting the jersey and the honour of what we do every week. We have standards to uphold and everyone here knows the standards.

“There is a lot of pride in the jersey and things you have to uphold if you want to be a Bronco.

“Most of the boys here understand the culture.”

Now aged 30, Boyd, as captain, is the squad’s most powerful voice renowned for driving Brisbane’s cultural standards. He says the Broncos’ class of 2017 is as responsible as any outfit he has seen when it comes to alcohol consumption.

“There’s not really a drinking environment here anyway,” he said.

“We all get along really well.

“We’re a very family-orientated club so once we have played on a Friday night, we might have a quiet barbecue or spend time with family on the weekend.

“Wayne and the coaches might make the final call (on a booze ban) but I don’t see any need for us to do that.”

Brisbane will move a step closer to clinching second spot with victory over the Dragons on Friday night and Boyd attributes the Broncos’ success this year to their enterprising style.

“We have structures and certain shapes, but it’s more playing what you see,” he said.

“We don’t always get to certain points of the field. We always practise our shapes and it may change depending on who we’re playing, but when we play our style of footy, it’s about guys having eyes up and backing themselves.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...6/news-story/5d1af3deae9285a45a47c4ba8b954069

Giving up the drink for 6 or so weeks isn't that much to ask for. There will be plenty of time for drinking after you lift the trophy

If there isn't a problem then I don't see any need for a booze ban. As long as they know how to control themselves.

I've never believed that a booze ban made any difference whether a team won the premiership or not.

I think for the likes of James Roberts there's one already, and he's the type of player these things are aimed at. If the broncos managed to win a premiership, or even come close, I hope the team and club bear his predicament in mind in the aftermath. Those are the times, he will be tested with regard to substance abuse, and as everyone knows his problem, it will be everyone's responsibility to not see him relapse. If there are others facing similar problems we don't know about, they too should be taken into account. The places they go, and the people that have access to them, and the support they need, are paramount if this club aims not to end up like cronulla or the roosters, with troubled stars in hot water.

Found that a bit interesting. I wonder if it was just an off the cuff statement with no real meaning or whether there are a couple not on the Wayne Train?

Found that a bit interesting. I wonder if it was just an off the cuff statement with no real meaning or whether there are a couple not on the Wayne Train?
I noticed that too.

A little worrying to be honest, hopefully he's only referring to fringe players...

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Lozza
  • lynx000
  • bert_lifts
  • Alec
  • Pablo
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Hurrijo
  • Spoon
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.