No home game round 1

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ng-round-of-2012/story-e6frep5x-1226180816268

It is the first time the Broncos have not played their round 1 clash at home, usually against the North Queensland Cowboys, since Suncorp Stadium was redeveloped.

They will now play the Cowboys at home in round 2 on a Friday night.

Their round 1 match will be against a Sydney club in Sydney.

Broncos commercial operations manager Terry Reader said the club was actually happy with the unique draw.

"It will give us another week to sell tickets and the match will still be a blockbuster as it's our first home game," Reader said.

"The round 2 match will be special. Considering our form last year and the Cowboys making the finals we expect a big crowd, 45,000-plus."

The odd scheduling was a result of the NRL introducing a bye week to coincide with the trans-Tasman Test next year.

That meant the season kick-off was moved forward a week to Thursday night, March 1.

thats bullshit, booooo

Drop all these special traditions, and do a new draw every year.

I hope it continues.

About time the draw is 'unique'.

I don't like it but I suppose 'thems' the breaks.

Personally, I think the club would get more value out of playing a different club in the opening round and saving the Cows to another round during the season. The game would still draw based on being the opening game.

In round 1, I would go with any opponent that isn't already a major draw card anyway. As such, purely for business purposes only, I would eliminate Cowboys, Titans, Storm and Dragons and use teams like the Tigers, Warriors or Eels for the first home game of the season.

In round 1, I would go with any opponent that isn't already a major draw card anyway. As such, purely for business purposes only, I would eliminate Cowboys, Titans, Storm and Dragons and use teams like the Tigers, Warriors or Eels for the first home game of the season.

Agreed. Guaranteed to get a good crowd for the first home game regardless, so why waste a big draw?

Someone has to play an away game to start the season so no big deal.

Someone has to play an away game to start the season so no big deal.

Exactly. Half the teams play away in round 1. The Broncos have been spoilt to be able to play at home every year since 2004.

It should be every second year we get a home game IMO

There was talks on twitter that we would be playing Panthers Rd 1 and the Cowboys will play Titans up in NQ, Also we can't be playing Dragons as they play Knights on the thursday night

Agreed. Guaranteed to get a good crowd for the first home game regardless, so why waste a big draw?

This, and the fact that if you hold, for example, Panthers v Broncos at Penrith in round 1, it will get a lot more attendance than if it was in round 10. This way they get a decent crowd, and we still get our decent crowd whenever we come up against the Cowboys. Everybody wins.

The season kicks of on my birthday, but I heard the Broncos aren't playing on the night. Anway i've got an extra birthday wish a victory over Parrammatta (which is who I think we're playing).

The season kicks of on my birthday, but I heard the Broncos aren't playing on the night. Anway i've got an extra birthday wish a victory over Parrammatta (which is who I think we're playing).

yeah we have Parra in round 1 down there. a win over them would be a great way to start the season

Oh oh....I'm gonna be overseas for Round 2.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • bert_lifts
  • jtupu17
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.