Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Pangait 1832231rc 1

No regrets for Tonga star Pangai despite NSW revival

June 14, 2018

Brisbane wrecking ball Tevita Pangai jnr has no regrets about committing himself to Tonga despite watching NSW start what may become a successful new era under Brad Fittler.

The 22-year-old forward supports the decision of Broncos teammate Joe Ofahengaue, who is a chance of being called into the Maroons team on Monday, to turn his back on the Mate Ma'a.

Newcastle-raised Pangai, the Junior Kangaroos skipper in 2016 and part of the Emerging NSW squad a few months ago, said he can't wait to get into camp with the Tongans for the Pacific Test against Samoa next Saturday, the day before several Broncos teammates will be playing in Origin II a few kilometres away the next day.

"I feel like I have made the right decision although playing in front of 90,000 is the pinnacle of our sport," he said, referring to Origin I in Melbourne.

"I'm pretty passionate about playing for Tonga after last year's World Cup and the support we have been getting around the world from fellow Tongans. Even when I go back to LA, San Francisco or Las Vegas [while visiting family in the USA] I talk to people who have taken to us and the sacrifices Jason Taumalolo and all those guys made.

"Everyone is different. Joe is a through and through Queenslander. I don't blame him for wanting to play for Queensland. Thirty-grand [dollars per match] and putting on that Queensland jersey is a big incentive and I understand where he is coming from."

Pangai will go head to head with Tonga's big man Andrew Fifita during Saturday's clash with Cronulla at Southern Cross Group Stadium with a mission to prove a point on the eve of being teammates against the Samoans.

To achieve that, he knows he needs to get rid of some of the poor elements that have crept into his game after being told by coach Wayne Bennett to pull his head in and cut the aimless emotion and sledging of opponents.

After being complimented on his form while being interviewed by the media, Pangai said: "The public think I'm playing good but Wayne knows there are areas that I need to fix. There's some yahooing I need to get out of my game."

He said Bennett told him to display more humility.

"I don't need that stuff in my game. You don't see the greats of the game carrying on like that," he said in reference to sledging Storm players last Sunday.

"You don't see Darius [Boyd] or Sam Thaiday carrying on after they did a good thing in the game.

"I still want to play with aggression and play hard. Taumalolo is a perfect example; he plays hard but doesn't have that tag [of being over the top] on him."

He laughed that Fifita taught him during the World Cup "you don't have to prepare well to play a good game of football" but knows the Cronulla prop will be out to stamp his authority against him on Sunday.

"He's a competitor; I just like the way he fits around the boys; he's funny but he just competes when it comes to game day.

"Like in round two against Taumalolo, I just want to get one over my fellow Tongan teammates."

Tonga take on Samoa at Campbelltown Stadium at 7.10pm on Saturday June 23, after the PNG v Fiji clash at 4pm.

Source: NRL.com

A firebrand that listens to the voice of authority and experience. What an exciting prospect.

"Everyone is different. Joe is a through and through Queenslander. I don't blame him for wanting to play for Queensland. Thirty-grand [dollars per match] and putting on that Queensland jersey is a big incentive and I understand where he is coming from."

A sign of the times I suppose.

QLDr's used to love playing for their state....just because.

Origin is a commercial entity. That's what it is.

With the advent of the Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and the Gold Coast Titans and the fact that talented QLD players no longer have to leave their beloved state to ply their trade the need for Origin ceased to exist.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Here's a quick test...isn't it weird that we can't construct a more compelling narrative for the game's showpiece event than 'QLD underdogs against the almighty Blues?'

Even during the last 13 years I'd argue the narrative has never strayed too far from that.

Anyway I forget myself. Guilt of wrong think. I am reprogrammed now...

**** the Bluezzz!

Considering what Offa's wife is going through at the moment, I can't say I blame the guy if a little extra cash to help them is part of thremotivation to choose QLD over Tonga. Plus I think people are very naive or full of shit if they didn't say an extra 90 grand wouldn't influence their work choices.

I'm assuming TPJ is mainly referring to the mid season test, because he can still play for Qld and Tonga.

The real question will come down to whether he chooses to play for Tonga or Australia if given the choice.

The opportunity to play a debut game for qld would be pretty massive for Offa as well. Have to remember he has been in and out of first grade, so to now be in a position to potentially play an origin game would be massive for him.

Last edited:
I'm assuming TPJ is mainly referring to the mid season test, because he can still play for Qld and Tonga.

The real question will come down to whether he chooses to play for Tonga or Australia if given the choice.

if he chooses to play origin, then he would have to be available for Australia if selected, he doesn't get a choice under the rules ...

however, if he failed to get selected for Australia, he could then play for Tonga.

if he chooses to play origin, then he would have to be available for Australia if selected, he doesn't get a choice under the rules ...

however, if he failed to get selected for Australia, he could then play for Tonga.
Fifita and Tmol both proved that wrong unless they have since changed the rules... again.

Fifita and Tmol both proved that wrong unless they have since changed the rules... again.

Taumololo doesn't play origin and will never get that chance ...

we will have to wait and see if fifita ever get's considered for origin again before he "proves that wrong" ...

Taumololo doesn't play origin and will never get that chance ...

we will have to wait and see if fifita ever get's considered for origin again before he "proves that wrong" ...
You were suggesting that there is a rule that a player is obligated to play for a Tier 1 nation should they come knocking. My Tmol example was that he chose to play for Tonga so looking from the outside in they have a choice on which international team they play for and therefore no rule appears to exist that you must play for a tier 1 nation if they select you in the squad.

Fifita was in the Australian squad and left at the 11th hour. He's also said he is available for NSW just not game 2 therefore not selecting him in origin remains up to the selectors. If they choose to ignore him on form or moral high ground then that's their prerogative rather than a rule being in place that they can't select Tier 2 players.

Those were my arguments when I said the real question will be whether Offa chooses Australia or Tonga.

a player is obligated to play for a Tier 1 nation should they come knocking.

Actually i was saying if they choose to play origin they are required to play for Australia if selected ...

In Taumololo's case, he isn't eligible to play Origin, so he can play for any nation he is eligible for ...

He's also said he is available for NSW just not game 2 therefore not selecting him in origin remains up to the selectors.

what Fifita says and the reality of the situation are often two very different things

what Fifita says and the reality of the situation are often two very different things

Pretty sure it's fact though. One of the TV programs, prior to Origin 1 when everyone was discussing sides, said that they could pick him but what would be the point given he wouldn't be available for game 2. Unless they're wrong as well.....

The rule is you can play Origin while playing for a Tier 2 nation.

It was brought in because Tier 2 nation players would rule themselves out of the Pacific Test so they can be eligible for Origin.

Actually i was saying if they choose to play origin they are required to play for Australia if selected ...

Which is wrong

In Taumololo's case, he isn't eligible to play Origin, so he can play for any nation he is eligible for ...
My original message was about whether Offa would choose Australia (tier 1) or Tonga (tier 2) both of which he is eligible for. You responded with

"if he chooses to play origin, then he would have to be available for Australia if selected, he doesn't get a choice under the rules ..."

This implies (at least to me) that you are suggesting a player is obligated to play for the tier 1 nation if they make themselves available for selection.

I used Tmol, because it was a high profile recent example of where a player who is eligible for both a tier 1 & tier 2 nation has selected the tier 2 nation despite being an automatic selection by the tier 1 nation. A completely reasonable example given you are talking about international teams... I'm fully fucking aware kiwis can't play origin.

Who gives a shit I am using Fifita as a clear example that directly disputes your argument. I even claimed that whether NSW pick him or not is up to them it doesn't remove the fact that he is eligible to play origin. His example is a carbon copy of Offa except Offa hasn't come out and identified where his preference lies.

Last edited:
Which is wrong

My original message was about whether Offa would choose Australia (tier 1) or Tonga (tier 2) both of which he is eligible for. You responded with

"if he chooses to play origin, then he would have to be available for Australia if selected, he doesn't get a choice under the rules ..."

This implies (at least to me) that you are suggesting a player is obligated to play for the tier 1 nation if they make themselves available for selection.

I used Tmol, because it was a high profile recent example of where a player who is eligible for both a tier 1 & tier 2 nation has selected the tier 2 nation despite being an automatic selection by the tier 1 nation. A completely reasonable example given you are talking about international teams... I'm fully fucking aware kiwis can't play origin.

Who gives a shit I am using Fifita as a clear example that directly disputes your argument. I even claimed that whether NSW pick him or not is up to them it doesn't remove the fact that he is eligible to play origin. His example is a carbon copy of Offa except Offa hasn't come out and identified where his preference lies.

I was going of how it was initially reported ... which was:

If a player is not selected for one of the major nations, they are then able to represent nations including Fiji, Samoa and PNG and switch between the tiers without suffering any repercussions.

The move is in the final stages of being formalised and has received unanimous support from the game’s 18 full member nations, with the changes to come into effect by October 1.

Next year’s Rugby League World Cup will benefit in a huge way, with the likes of Milford (Samoa), Jarryd Hayne (Fiji), James Tedesco (Italy) and Robbie Farah (Lebanon) just some of the players able to represent other nations if overlooked by Australia without hindering their chances of future rep selection.

source: Fox Sports

If NSW get Fifita, then we should be able to get Taumololo

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • Tim K
  • john1420
  • BruiserMk1
  • Financeguy
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • RolledOates
  • Ondi
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mister Wright
  • Griffo
  • Skyblues87
  • Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.