"Nowhere near what we needed" - Joe O on Seibold

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

“You know, some boys maybe believed in the coach. Some boys didn’t, that’s what the Broncos were last year.

Did Ofahengaue believe in Seibold?

“At stages, and I’m not going to badmouth Seibs. I think he was a great guy,” he says.

“I think his coaching strategies were nowhere near what we needed last year.

“Us players as well, we were at fault as well, because we weren’t honest [with Seibold] sometimes. He’d say we need to do this? And as players we just agreed.

“So we played a big part in that as well. It wasn’t just a coach like, I’m not going to fault Seibs. It was on all of us as a club.

“You know, we lost belief in our processes, belief in each other our beliefs, and our teammates and belief in our coach.

“Sometimes we were just too structured and sometimes some players would get the s**ts and say we don’t want to run that play, or they just didn’t get a match style of footy,” he says. “But that’s all in the past.

Surprise, he was shit.

All that thinking Seibold tried to get them to do must have been difficult for Joe. Poor guy. Joe’s problem was not game plans, it was holding onto the ball, getting off a tackle late in the count and a myriad of other dumb shit.

Also what plays is he talking about? We barely ran a play last year

All that thinking Seibold tried to get them to do must have been difficult for Joe. Poor guy. Joe’s problem was not game plans, it was holding onto the ball, getting off a tackle late in the count and a myriad of other dumb shit.

Also what plays is he talking about? We barely ran a play last year
I can recall continually taking a settler at the right post and followed it up with a play to the left out to Milf's side.

I'd say they had a number of different plays inside the 20, but didn't really have a single voice telling them which one they were working towards, resulting in numerous settlers one after the other.

Compare that to say the storm system where CS9 orchestrated from hooker (giving the forwards guidance), whilst Munster waited for an opportunity to call for it from Cam.

I think Milf was meant to be our 'Munster', but didn't really call for the ball so it was settler after settler... also the forwards didn't create any momentum to work from. A weak settler just means a slow play the ball against a set defensive line. A key focus must be getting the forwards to actively work towards quick play the balls to give the spine something to work from. That doesn't require plays that just requires smart running and an intent to find your front.

It's also not necessary to have CS9 to be able to play like the storm do either, it's just giving players roles. Some guys can have more complex roles, whilst other guys can have very simple roles (i.e. forwards). The storm look for cues in the defensive line and the whole team react to take advantage:
- 1v1 close to the line (Tino/NAS position themselves for a dump off pass from CS9)
- Overlap on the open side (backline sweep to take advantage)
- Overlap on the blindside (half switches around the ruck to create the numbers... Walsh did this in the trial)
- Fullback not positioned correctly (kick early with a strong kick chase)
- Fullback in the defensive line (kick to the in goal)
- Quick play the ball (whatever the **** you want, because they are gold!!)

Active Now

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.