Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Christian Nicolussi

By Christian Nicolussi

May 7, 2022 — 4.30pm
Source: The Age

Ryan Papenhuyzen’s growing number of off-field endorsement deals have him on track to become the first NRL player to earn $2 million a year as the most marketable player in the game, according to Melbourne Storm chairman and successful businessman Matt Tripp.

Papenhuyzen’s exploits on the field for Melbourne have been phenomenal this season - heading into this weekend’s games he led Dally M voting and had scored more points than four rival NRL clubs - and he could command more than $1 million on the open market right now.

By taking a little less pay to remain with the Storm, Papenhuyzen’s on-field success is helping deliver the financial results off it, with his third-party agreement believed to be surging towards $500,000 annually.
Adidas, F45, watch brand Tissot, DoorDash, Volkswagen and Greyhound Racing NSW and Victoria are just some key backers along for the ride with the 23-year-old whose playing future was under a cloud just 12 months ago following his Magic Round KO that forced him to miss more than two months of football battling concussion symptoms.

There is no limit on what NRL players can earn in off-field endorsements that are not arranged by clubs. Surprisingly, there are no hair product sponsors, despite Papenhuyzen owning - and refusing to cut - the game’s most recognisable blond mullet.

Tripp said the “sky was the limit” when it comes to Papenhuyzen’s off-field earnings, and his appeal was so great, he had even surpassed Storm legends Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater when it came to being the all-round package. Tripp is a major player in the corporate world, building Sportsbet into the country’s second largest bookmaker, before launching and selling BetEasy, and he’s now set to launch an online betting agency in partnership with News Corp.

Heading into this weekend Ryan Papenhuyzen had scored more points than four NRL clubs.

Heading into this weekend Ryan Papenhuyzen had scored more points than four NRL clubs. Credit:Getty

Newcastle’s Kalyn Ponga would go close to being the biggest earner in the NRL when you factor in his off-field deals, but Ponga also happens to be struggling in a team at the wrong end of the NRL ladder this season. Nathan Cleary, Cameron Munster and James Tedesco all command $1 million-plus on the field, but have all had their off-field issues, while Daly Cherry-Evans and Ben Hunt are not in the same red-hot demand with third-party sponsors.

“I think ‘Paps’ is the most marketable player in the game right now,” Tripp told The Sun-Herald. “I say that for a host of reasons. He plays the game with flair and excitement and speed - all the things people want to go and watch when they watch a game of rugby league.

“When you take him off the field, you know because of his nature and personality and the way he conducts himself, whatever product he endorses he will do a great job.

One of Ryan Papenhuyzen’s many endorsement deals is with fitness chain F45.

One of Ryan Papenhuyzen’s many endorsement deals is with fitness chain F45.

“There are plenty of players who tick both boxes when it comes to on-field performance and off-field marketability. Paps is the first player I’ve seen who is elite at both. I’ve seen them all, and don’t get me wrong, Cam, Coops and Billy were all A-graders, but this guy has the hair, the pace, he’s just a quality young man who understands where he’s from.

“He took less to stay at the Storm to surround himself with better players. Not many guys would do that. I don’t know how much he is earning in off-field endorsements, but at the same time I think the sky is the limit - nothing would surprise me.”

To appreciate what sort of person Papenhuyzen is, he was loved by Tripp’s late daughter, Isabella, or Bella, who lost her battle with leukaemia last month. She was only 14. Tripp mentioned at the funeral how Bella wanted to marry Papenhuyzen.

“Paps visited Bella in hospital when she only had two days left to live, I think she would have passed that day, but she got another two days out of the boost from seeing Paps and big Nelson [Asofa-Solomona] - she was just so excited,” Tripp said. “Bella and Paps had a special little bond, it was beautiful.”
Papenhuyzen was signed until the end of this year before he inked a three-year extension, keeping him at Melbourne until the end of 2025.

At the start of last year, he met manager Clinton Schifcofske in a Richmond cafe with interest swirling from rival clubs. The Dolphins and Ipswich, who were both vying to become the 17th NRL franchise at the time, had made it known to Schifcofske they wanted Papenhuyzen in Queensland as their squeaky-clean fresh-faced poster boy.

But Papenhuyzen wanted to stay put. While he is not a member of the league’s exclusive $1 million club, Papenhuzen’s salary will still sit just south of it from next year. He said the decision to ignore bigger-money offers elsewhere was simple.

“For starters, when you become a $1 million player, that brings added pressure,” Papenhuyzen said. “I’m fine with that pressure, but I put my success down to my teammates and being in a really good side, so I’d like to see that money shared around rather than me taking up a lot of the cap.

“We’ve got something good building here. Guys like Christian Welch, you want to be at a club where he’s a leader. And ‘Hughesy’ [Jahrome Hughes] and Harry [Grant], sometimes you need to take a little less to stay at a good club so you can remain successful.

“We reached a good deal with Melbourne. I’m still being paid really well and doing what I love. I’m lucky I’ve got Clinton who knows what’s best for me and what a good system I’m in at the Storm. If that meant I needed to take a bit of a haircut to do that, I was fine. The way I look at it, if I signed a $1m deal somewhere else, would my career last as long like it can by me playing at the Storm? I’m really comfortable here.”

Melbourne, and sponsors, could not be any more comfortable aligning themselves with Papenhuyzen.

Dodgy as **** ... especially with Tripp involved
No, no, it's totally above board. Didn't you hear there's a salary cap? It's in the NRL's interest to enforce it because reasons.

Paps is apparently more marketable than someone like Tom Turbo, Adam Reynolds, etc to the tune of 10x in off field endorsements. Never mind no one gives a **** about league in Victoria.

Someone tell me why Paps is "the man" for greyhound racing.

And someone tell me if Tripp's betting company will be sponsoring greyhound racing or not and if there's any chance they'd give greyhound racing more sponsorship dollars than they deserve. Ya'know, for generosity's sake.

Its not the best system, but its exactly what we used to do really well. Get the blokes to take unders but still get well paid, but use our "contacts "to get the players some good deals outside the cap.

Its not the best system, but its exactly what we used to do really well. Get the blokes to take unders but still get well paid, but use our "contacts "to get the players some good deals outside the cap.
When I read this stuff the only thing I get angry about is us not doing the same. Come on DD, get us back on the rorting train!

As if Reynolds can’t get a million in sponsorship. Give Cobbo and Patty a year or 2 of success and origin appearances and they’d be there abouts too.

It’s pretty funny. This will now become the new norm for big / wealthy clubs. Why don’t we re-sign Cobbs on 200k and just offer him a bucketload of outside cap sponsorships? The NRL cannot say no by allowing this to happen with Papenheuzen.

I thought there was a limit to how many third parties a player can get? Was this ever the case? Or can you only have a couple of players on these 3rd party deals or is it open slather for everyone?

Cause if it is, we need to play the game so much better.

I thought there was a limit to how many third parties a player can get? Was this ever the case? Or can you only have a couple of players on these 3rd party deals or is it open slather for everyone?

It's open slather as long as the club have no involvement in getting the TPA. It also can't be a club sponsor and I think it also can't be an enticement to play for a certain club.

At least in theory, the rules work that way

Oh well that'd be easy to get around. You could just do a burnsy in the nuclear plant.

If This isn’t a red flag I don’t know what is.

it’s Melbourne so business as usual.

Remember, this is the team that had players sign multiple contracts in order to conceal their cheating of the cap, and even after they were caught, no players were suspended. Oh, they had two premierships scrubbed off the history books (but were allowed to keep the rings, and are allowed to say that they won those grand finals) but the players themselves faced no disciplinary action whatsoever. It's obvious that the NRL simply will not let them fail, ever, because they are too important in their claim to be the "National" Rugby League.

When I read this stuff the only thing I get angry about is us not doing the same. Come on DD, get us back on the rorting train!

As if Reynolds can’t get a million in sponsorship. Give Cobbo and Patty a year or 2 of success and origin appearances and they’d be there abouts too.

Reynolds is making a mint from deals outside the Broncos. He's got deals everywhere- Rich Digital have him very busy.

If you or your manager do the work it's limitless- get a good manager and you're laughing.

Good on Papz, make as much money as you can in your 10 year playing window then retire.
Every one of you would do the same.

I think the $2 million figure is a bit on the exaggerated side actually a lot- there was only 1.5 million across the whole comp last year- reduced I know because players couldn't make appearances.

If Paps can get a couple of $100,000 he's doing well.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Broncorob
  • Santa
  • Waynesaurus
  • Johnny92
  • Cavalo
  • Foordy
  • kiwi2
  • Financeguy
  • jd87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.