CROSS FORUM NRL 2022 Round 2 Discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Berry having a really forgettable afternoon here for the Warriors. Had the opportunity to put them in front but bobbles the ball and then kicks for himself with plays remaining, then he just takes the tackle on the last. He's a genuine prospect, but a pretty poor showing from him all told.

Silvertails.net

Silvertails.net

Silvertails.net User
Contributor
May 19, 2021
3558.jpg
globaleagle - silvertails.net

oooh... not the 5th tackle ending the warriors needed

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Walsh was a real let down for me. I tend to agree with Kevvie that he still needs time in ISC to learn the game properly.
I honestly doubt that Walsh's career would have been much different had he stayed. He was killing it in QCup and we saw how frantic Kev was with team selections.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Which does make you wonder, what kind of salary would the Titans offer Fifita to stay beyond his current contract? He is not worth anywhere near what they are paying and they really don't look like they know how or when to use him. It doesn't help with such a green spine I suppose.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Which does make you wonder, what kind of salary would the Titans offer Fifita to stay beyond his current contract? He is not worth anywhere near what they are paying and they really don't look like they know how or when to use him. It doesn't help with such a green spine I suppose.

The thing for me is that at the time the talk was that his signing would be the one that motivates others to also come in and play for them.

We haven't seen that though, they bought well a couple of seasons ago, they finished 8th last season in a season where losing more than you won was good enough to make the 8. Since then they've lost a few players in their spine.

He would be flat out making the QLD starting 13.

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
how many more years does he have this and next year?. but yeah I think every nrl fan in the comp knows hes is not worth that money.

only reason the media didnt blast the titans and call it irresponsible is because Mal was involved and it helped hurt the broncos which sells way more then criticize a team no one really cares about.

At most hes a 700-800k player at his best. but with how little he is involved in the game i think alot of good teams will be reluctant to even pay him that.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I'm starting to doubt any forward is worth more than 800k, unless they are like Payne Haas and basically make 200 metres every week in the middle of the field

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Fifi should come back to us when his contract is up, for a reasonable salary

T

The Don

QCup Player
Jul 19, 2020
The thing for me is that at the time the talk was that his signing would be the one that motivates others to also come in and play for them.

We haven't seen that though, they bought well a couple of seasons ago, they finished 8th last season in a season where losing more than you won was good enough to make the 8. Since then they've lost a few players in their spine.

It has been helpful in keeping our juniors mate which in my opinion has been better than signing 99% of the people who were available last season. Very excited on that front.

Also who did we lose in the spine that was doing well anyway? Fogarty most of us wanted dropped, Rein wasn't any better than Clarke and Taylor (untenable at that point).

Sure probably not the best bang for buck signing but I'm hardly going to complain about it. Who else were we going to sign for the last 2 years that would've been our top tryscorer etc.?

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I honestly doubt that Walsh's career would have been much different had he stayed. He was killing it in QCup and we saw how frantic Kev was with team selections.
Do you agree that he's still not up to NRL standards yet?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Do you agree that he's still not up to NRL standards yet?

I think he is an NRL player, but he is 19 years old. He isnt going to have the consistency in his game a 24 year old would. If you are prepared to let young players develop in first grade, you have accept they will make errors and you have to accept the inconsistency of performance.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
It has been helpful in keeping our juniors mate which in my opinion has been better than signing 99% of the people who were available last season. Very excited on that front.

Also who did we lose in the spine that was doing well anyway? Fogarty most of us wanted dropped, Rein wasn't any better than Clarke and Taylor (untenable at that point).

Sure probably not the best bang for buck signing but I'm hardly going to complain about it. Who else were we going to sign for the last 2 years that would've been our top tryscorer etc.?

I just don't think he's worth what he's being paid, it will be interesting when his contract is up, I can't see how he gets that same figure again and would he take a paycut to play in a team that is clearly in a development phase?

Maybe another club gets desperate, who knows.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

It was more about keeping players in the fold. The Gold Coast have really stepped up their junior development lately and have some quality prospects coming through who otherwise would have gone elsewhere for an opportunity.

One of the biggest issues the Titans had were keeping the talent on the Gold Coast. Fans forget that Reece Walsh, Xavier Coates and Brendan Piakura all came through the Gold Coast system.

Fifita is on the market again come November 1st, he can decide whether he wants to stay or head elsewhere for his own career. Either way, the Gold Coast got their value out of him.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • broncsgoat
  • HarryAllan7
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Bucking Beads
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.