NRL 2023 Round 1 Discussion

That's a bunker special that one... where was the penalty??

Tigers giving away a professional foul to challenge... isn't that meant to be a sin binning??

I thought they were cracking down on giving away penalties to try and challenge?

Neither of these teams will be at the pointy end of the season if this game is anything to go by. Both have massive issues.

You would hope that the Tigers have a bit more upside than the Titans with who they've recruited and an experience coach, however, it was a poor display by them.

I think the Tigers jersey is a cursed object. Inflicts a penalty of 50% IQ on the wearer.

330235837 126449363698498 7659057970549060176 n

The Tigers looked bloody horrible this afternoon. Almost as if they've regressed.

The Tigers looked bloody horrible this afternoon. Almost as if they've regressed.
I thought the idea of trials was to prepare for the season, to the Tigers maybe it's to prepare for the offseason.

It's amazing what a bit of common sense did for the Gold Coast. Still a lot of similarities between 2022/23 but the difference is that they've got quality players in key positions so they're able to take their opportunities when they're on offer.

At some point last year the Titans spine looked like Isaako/W. Smith/Sexton/Clark. It's an indictment when a rookie like Sexton is by far your best player and that pressure clearly broke him and it became too much. Brimson/Foran/T. Boyd/Verrills with Campbell as back-up is NRL standard and the Titans looked far more better because of it.

You could certainly debate T. Boyd vs. Sexton but Tanah has that seasoning to his game, whereas Sexton still plays like a 6. For the time being, Tanah has justified his selection.

They still have some looseness in the game, all or nothing passes into traffic, lazy penalties from key personnel. Tino is one of the best forwards in the game, but he doesn't deserve a free pass for being off-side at the kick, that was poor.

While it didn't click for them, the Tigers produced some of the most exciting brand of footy of the weekend. If they can build on it, they will be a delight to watch and with Bateman set to join the team they should really trouble a lot of teams. It didn't go their way this afternoon and that drop by Laurie cruelled them but they're on the right track.

This would have to be right up there with 2012 as one of the best opening rounds to a season. That weekend gave us the Roosters miracle win over Souths, Wests putting aside the devastating injury to a debuting Tedesco to down the Sharks, St George getting one over their old coach by a point, Melbourne denying Canberra a 1 point win with a last gasp try, Manly-Warriors having a quality back and forth game. I don't remember Eels-Broncos, Panthers-Bulldogs being especially bad games either it was just the Cowboys-Titans game that ended up being a fizzer.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Culhwch
  • Financeguy
  • MrMoore
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Mister Wright
  • bert_lifts
  • RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • GCBRONCO
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • broncotville
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.