CROSS FORUM NRL 2023 Round 27 Discussion

The Who

Silvertails
I've long been a believer in 'hoodoos' (not the Gurus) and 'bogey' teams, although it defies logic. Melbourne is definitely Brisbane's bogey club. Last night, after checking the teams, I switched my tip to the Broncos, thinking if ever the hoodoo would be broken it would be in this match against Melbourne's reserve grade team. (yes, I know the Broncos had five or so top players out, but the Storm had about 11 out!).
My team, Manly, has the wood over Cronulla and Canberra. Regardless of the quality of the team nor their positions on the ladder Manly will beat these clubs in four out of five matches. Sadly, it's the reverse when we play St-George-Illawarra.
I can't explain why hoodoos develop, but I do know that the Bronco need to avoid playing the Storm in a finals match or you guys will end the season disappointed.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I've long been a believer in 'hoodoos' (not the Gurus) and 'bogey' teams, although it defies logic. Melbourne is definitely Brisbane's bogey club. Last night, after checking the teams, I switched my tip to the Broncos, thinking if ever the hoodoo would be broken it would be in this match against Melbourne's reserve grade team. (yes, I know the Broncos had five or so top players out, but the Storm had about 11 out!).
My team, Manly, has the wood over Cronulla and Canberra. Regardless of the quality of the team nor their positions on the ladder Manly will beat these clubs in four out of five matches. Sadly, it's the reverse when we play St-George-Illawarra.
I can't explain why hoodoos develop, but I do know that the Bronco need to avoid playing the Storm in a finals match or you guys will end the season disappointed.

All these streaks have to end at some point and when it matters, we still beat them in the GF. I'm confident our best is better than theirs, just have to play smarter than we normally do against them.

Finbar

Finbar

QCup Player
May 21, 2018
yes, I know the Broncos had five or so top players out
I think you miscounted as we barely had 5 of our top players in. We were without Walsh, Reynolds, Carrigan, Mam, Farnworth, Staggs, Cobbo, Walters, Haas, Capewell. That's 10/13 starters missing and Kobe Hetherington was missing from the bench.

The Who

Silvertails
I think you miscounted as we barely had 5 of our top players in. We were without Walsh, Reynolds, Carrigan, Mam, Farnworth, Staggs, Cobbo, Walters, Haas, Capewell. That's 10/13 starters missing and Kobe Hetherington was missing from the bench.
Fair enough. I stand corrected. But I'll raise you with Grant, Hughes, Munster, Welsh, Warbick, Nelson, Meaney, Seve, Coates, Kamikamica, Loioro, Katoa... did I miss anyone? That's 12 from 13.
Brisbane were heavy favourites. You were playing at home in front of a packed Suncorp. You had motivation, playing for the minor premiership. Melbourne had nothing substantial to play for.
The hoodoo strikes. It's the only possible explanation, or do you have another?

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Fair enough. I stand corrected. But I'll raise you with Grant, Hughes, Munster, Welsh, Warbick, Nelson, Meaney, Seve, Coates, Kamikamica, Loioro, Katoa... did I miss anyone? That's 12 from 13.
Brisbane were heavy favourites. You were playing at home in front of a packed Suncorp. You had motivation, playing for the minor premiership. Melbourne had nothing substantial to play for.

The teams were even, Kevvie was out coached. Every player in the Storm squad plays to Bellamy's standard and their scrubs don't look out of place at NRL level when they get asked to step in and do a job.

The only players that would've thought about the Hoodoo last night were Oates, Riki, Palasia and Flegler.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
we sold our soul for the 06 premiership. it's about the only reasonable explanation.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
we sold our soul for the 06 premiership. it's about the only reasonable explanation.

No, that was in 2008 when we failed to discipline players accordingly because they were stars, and it was finals.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
No, that was in 2008 when we failed to discipline players accordingly because they were stars, and it was finals.
**** that was an electric atmosphere though. shitty ending aside easily one of the best.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Count again:

Walsh
Reynolds
Mam
Billy
Patty
Haas
Capewell
Cobbo
Staggs
Herbie
Hetherington
(Mariner was unavailable to come in due to injury)

That's 11 out (12 if you count Mariner)... Not 5

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

All this really shows is how most of us are viewing the result, meant nothing. We don't care about the minor premiership, it also means nothing. We want the big one.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
**** that was an electric atmosphere though. shitting ending aside easily one of the best.

My memory is not what it once was, but that may have been the last finals game I attended. Never been so conflicted in my support of the Broncos, was just numb by the end.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
You’re absolutely 100% correct. We just can’t beat these assholes. I reckon with our strongest 1-17 we still find away to lose. Or the ref finds away To take it off us. The hoodoo is real and we aren’t winning against them in the finals.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
You’re absolutely 100% correct. We just can’t beat these assholes. I reckon with our strongest 1-17 we still find away to lose. Or the ref finds away To take it off us. The hoodoo is real and we aren’t winning against them in the finals.

Absolutely we can ... And we will.

Much sooner than they naysayers think

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Absolutely we can ... And we will.

Much sooner than they naysayers think
Until you embrace the curse it will not be broken.

Season 1 Dancing GIF by Outlander

Active Now

• Big Del
  • broncoscope
  • Bish
  • Waynesaurus
  • leon.bott
  • Sproj
  • maddo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.