NRL 2023 Round 3 Discussion

Cherry-Evans has made a fantastic start to the year. He's just kicking Manly to victory and he's been so reliable for them. Whenever they appear to lose their way, he gets them back on track and they play off the back of his kicking game.

The Eels desperately miss Mahoney, Lane and Papalii. They've always been a team that lives and dies by the sword, but they're missing the qualities those players brought. Mahoney's tenacity, Lane's reliability and Papalii's versatility it just complimented the team so well.

I'd hate to talk up one of Wolfie's prospects, but they also miss Opacic. Tom was the ultimate team player who made those around him better. A kick was only as good as it's chase and Tom 9/10 was always on the spot. Blake & Simonsson are freak athletes and on their day they're good to watch but their heads aren't in the game.

They've been in every game so far the Eels and could have easily walked away 3-0, but find themselves 0-3. It's a long season and they'll get their opportunity to strike back during the Origin season. The last thing they need to do is panic - they just need to remind these what their roles are and what they need to do for one another.

Weird that despite being 0-3 I have been somewhat impressed by Parra.

Tonight they lacked the intensity early and were always up against it at Brooky but I feel they will be a very different side once they get Matterson and Lane back.

Penisini is an underrated player, thought he was great.

Weird that despite being 0-3 I have been somewhat impressed by Parra.

Tonight they lacked the intensity early and were always up against it at Brooky but I feel they will be a very different side once they get Matterson and Lane back.

Penisini is an underrated player, thought he was great.
They're an incredibly talented side. There aren't that many teams who could have kept the ball alive like the Eels had to.

They just lack that grit. If Lane can play his best footy, that will go a long way - Matterson has to prove himself. I was disappointed in his form last year and his decision to accept the suspension is one of the most selfish things I've seen from a footballer.

Parra won't win many games while they're conceding 30 points, they've conceded 80 points in 3 games and 60 of those came in their past 2 games.

I thought they had Melbourne beaten in Round 1 but they somehow let that one get away from them.

Yep, even still today...
Seibold can get fucked

Matterson sitting on the sidelines unable to help because of his own stupidity.

And he's not the only one that was stupid. Whoever decided to let Mahoney and Papali'i go is stupid.

This game is following his career trend, looked great early, wheels started falling off not long after the start.

He didn't start all that well with the Rabbitohs, it wasn't until they beat the Roosters that they really clicked into gear.

When he started with us, we lost 6 of our first 10. Won 2 games in our first couple of months.

Parra won't win many games while they're conceding 30 points, they've conceded 80 points in 3 games and 60 of those came in their past 2 games.

I thought they had Melbourne beaten in Round 1 but they somehow let that one get away from them.

Given Melbourne’s performance last week, it kind of makes you wonder where they are really at too, Parra beat themselves in round 1 and the Dogs basically smashed them last week, the score flattered Melbourne to an extent. The Storm already had no depth for the first time in years and with injuries piling up as well, Bellamy might be quite worried.

NSWRL having a whinge about Parra's draw and "it shouldn't happen".

I always thought it was "if you want to be the best you have to beat the best"... but now all of a sudden there's an issue with the "draw"... even though it's a fucking schedule manufactured for eyeballs on screens.

A schedule to appease Fox Sports and Channel 9

EAD ya Sydney *****

They're an incredibly talented side. There aren't that many teams who could have kept the ball alive like the Eels had to.

They just lack that grit. If Lane can play his best footy, that will go a long way - Matterson has to prove himself. I was disappointed in his form last year and his decision to accept the suspension is one of the most selfish things I've seen from a footballer.
Agree with most of this I just disagree Matterson has to prove himself. Been a very good player for a while now, last season he was integral to the Eels go forward and massively impacted games from the bench with his offloads and link play. Off the field he is clearly an idiot and not someone I would want at my club but as a player he is a guy I fear going up against.

Given Melbourne’s performance last week, it kind of makes you wonder where they are really at too, Parra beat themselves in round 1 and the Dogs basically smashed them last week, the score flattered Melbourne to an extent. The Storm already had no depth for the first time in years and with injuries piling up as well, Bellamy might be quite worried.
He should be worried but I think also he would have somewhat expected it. They have entirely new edge combinations, on top of that they lost Munster in the first game of the season.
I don't think the problem is as simple as half the spine being out but they will be a much better side once the edge backrowers figure their jobs out and Olam returns.

Agree with most of this I just disagree Matterson has to prove himself. Been a very good player for a while now, last season he was integral to the Eels go forward and massively impacted games from the bench with his offloads and link play. Off the field he is clearly an idiot and not someone I would want at my club but as a player he is a guy I fear going up against.
That was at lock forward and they have Hopgood there now who has been their best player. Matterson will have to move to edge forward, a position he was struggling with prior to the move in-field. Either he'll have to prove he has more to offer on an edge, or take the position off Hopgood.

Just watched the last 15 minutes on the telly. I'm used to seeing that defensive effort from Pies coached teams, nothing surprising there.. Parra have come back to the pack though... Can't blame it all on Gutherson's hairstyle either, looks like they are missing Mahoney a lot.. Is Hodgson the slowest player in the NRL? Loved it when he sold Jake Trbojevic the harbour bridge and strolled... literally strolled.. over the try line, was like watching the slomo replay in real time :)

Just watched the last 15 minutes on the telly. I'm used to seeing that defensive effort from Pies coached teams, nothing surprising there.. Parra have come back to the pack though... Can't blame it all on Gutherson's hairstyle either, looks like they are missing Mahoney a lot.. Is Hodgson the slowest player in the NRL? Loved it when he sold Jake Trbojevic the harbour bridge and strolled... literally strolled.. over the try line, was like watching the slomo replay in real time :)

It was pretty concerning how slow Schuster looked there too. I reckon Walsh might have noticed that.

That was at lock forward and they have Hopgood there now who has been their best player. Matterson will have to move to edge forward, a position he was struggling with prior to the move in-field. Either he'll have to prove he has more to offer on an edge, or take the position off Hopgood.
Doorey injury may mean they move Matterson however I still think he has alot to offer from the bench in the middle.

Cartwright has also been very good and they have Lane coming back at some point. Be interesting to see what they do.

Either way they are a team that will get better as the season goes on.

Doorey injury may mean they move Matterson however I still think he has alot to offer from the bench in the middle.

Cartwright has also been very good and they have Lane coming back at some point. Be interesting to see what they do.

Either way they are a team that will get better as the season goes on.
What would you do King? Would you have Matterson come on for Hopgood, or substitute Matterson on for Paulo & shift Hopgood to prop?

I reckon Newcastle could get the Dolphins tonight, if there was ever going to be a let down game for The it would be this one, away from home against a team that you would expect them to beat given the start they have had

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Bronxnationgirl99
  • Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • Old Mate
  • johnny plath
  • Alec
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Tim K
  • pagey
  • Foordy
  • Aldo
  • Broncosgirl
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.