CROSS FORUM NRL 2023 Round 7 Discussion

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
5003.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]jonesy101 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 28, 2016
REACTIONS: 6,207
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]
I was skeptical of the Dolphins coming into the comp and thought it would risk utter failure, but so far - though still early days - it's been nothing but positive other than the pesky bye it's caused. They pulled in a pretty decent crowd of nearly 24,000 in the weekend.

I don't follow the AFL, but often take a look at crowd figures and the numbers they manage to pull in for the Melbourne and Western Australian derbies are always huge. However, the crowds for the expansion franchises GWS and the Gold Coast are usually tiny. GWS can't even crack 10,000 this season.

To those that follow the AFL have those expansion franchises actually added anything to the comp or are they failing to attract much interest in their locality?

Graham Annesley starts his weekly briefing again boasting about all the games being close (i.e. 0-6 pts or <12 pts). Obviously, teams providing blowout scorelines is undesirable. Keep an eye out for levelling calls when a team exceeds the 12 pt lead.

4775.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]wizards rage - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 18, 2016
REACTIONS: 22,335
8187.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Organix - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 19, 2012

Graham Annesley starts his weekly briefing again boasting about all the games being close (i.e. 0-6 pts or <12 pts). Obviously, teams providing blowout scorelines is undesirable. Keep an eye out for levelling calls when a team exceeds the 12 pt lead.

Most of the time when a team gets one try ahead the bias pushes the behind team to level up before it even gets to a 12 point differential!

Smash em bro

[/st_td_row][st_td]kos - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 16, 2013
REACTIONS: 5,179
The Titans Broncos game was a sell out

The Gc Suns afaik have never had a sell out game on the gc

801.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]SeaEagleRock8 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2009
8187.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Organix - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 19, 2012

I wish they'd thought of that during our first half against Penrith!

Link - http://silvertails.net/tipping-competition/

801.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]SeaEagleRock8 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2009

I mean, based on an earlier briefing from Annesley, they want the games to be close to the very end, but they love to have as many tries as possible. It is still very dependent on the losing team converting their chances. I didn't watch this game Pen V Manly, but we all know the Panthers are both a good team AND golden boys of the NRL (IMO partly because of AFL encroachment in that region), so sometimes you're just SOL.

801.jpg

Just watched the highlights...you also need to actually tackle the opponents in NRL.

4734.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Aman - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 9, 2016
REACTIONS: 12,474
8187.jpg

I always found that weird. Are you saying your refs are influencing results?

4619.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Worried2Death - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 5, 2016
REACTIONS: 12,178
I always found that weird. Are you saying your refs are influencing results?
That's what he's saying, and something about battling the dark forces of AFL markets that we know nothing about here.

5003.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]jonesy101 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 28, 2016
REACTIONS: 6,207

I was skeptical of the Dolphins coming into the comp and thought it would risk utter failure, but so far - though still early days - it's been nothing but positive other than the pesky bye it's caused. They pulled in a pretty decent crowd of nearly 24,000 in the weekend.

I don't follow the AFL, but often take a look at crowd figures and the numbers they manage to pull in for the Melbourne and Western Australian derbies are always huge. However, the crowds for the expansion franchises GWS and the Gold Coast are usually tiny. GWS can't even crack 10,000 this season.

To those that follow the AFL have those expansion franchises actually added anything to the comp or are they failing to attract much interest in their locality?

What helps Dolphins and can't be understated is they are an Existing QRL team, it's not like the Titans for example, I think if any more teams get added in the East Coast it should be an existing franchise from the lower grades that get the license and it should be much more successful.

4619.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Worried2Death - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 5, 2016
REACTIONS: 12,186
10189.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Mustafur - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 13, 2019
What helps Dolphins and can't be understated is they are an Existing QRL team, it's not like the Titans for example, I think if any more teams get added in the East Coast it should be an existing franchise from the lower grades that get the license and it should be much more successful.

Which QRL feeder club should the Aranui Eagles affiliate with when we get the next licence

If it's another East Coast club it will either be Ipswich Jets or the Bears. Although the Bears seem to be keen on relocating if necessary, even to Perth (which to me seems to be a no-brainer as far as expansion due to the additional timeslot 2 hours behind the East Coast. Sorry NZ cuzzy bros, I know that's 4hrs behind you guys but if you accept Eastern Aust is the centre of the sport then it does make some sense, travel aside.)

4734.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Aman - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 9, 2016
That's what he's saying, and something about battling the dark forces of AFL markets that we know nothing about here.

Do you also think there’s some agenda to making so much noise around sold out games, crowd attendance etc when it’s clear that every 4th seat has been empty in all the games?

4734.jpg

Do you also think there’s some agenda to making so much noise around sold out games, crowd attendance etc when it’s clear that every 4th seat has been empty in all the games?

I think those seats are likely the Members of the home club that have season tickets not going, usually when they say sellout it refers to all seats being paid for.

4619.jpg
REACTIONS: 12,189
10189.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Mustafur - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 13, 2019
I think those seats are likely the Members of the home club that have season tickets not going, usually when they say sellout it refers to all seats being paid for.

Always a rational explanation for our wild conspiracy theories. Or is there...

1100.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]matiunz - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .July 15, 2013
REACTIONS: 19,926

AFL is one of those sports that’s much better to watch at the ground than on tv as is a bit more of a 3D game that cameras struggle to properly convey. It’s also in Melbourne a generational support thing with the team you follow generally is the same as your parents/grandparents type thing. Most of the teams are consolidated to playing out of 2 inner city central stadiums so it’s pretty convenient to get to a game public transport is rarely over an hour even to some of the outer suburbs.League on the other hand is a much better tv product, the stadiums can be a bit harder to get to in NSW eg travelling from say Manly to Penrith is close to 2 hours each way with 2-3 Train/bus changes on public transport same parra to Cronulla etc.
AFL expansion strategy was basically have 2 teams for a derby in every major city/state for a national footprint - Adelaide (port) and Perth(Freemantle) getting their 2nd teams in the late 90s but I believe were based on teams playing in the state competitions (similar to the dolphins)
GC and GWS expansion came in the 2010s, in terms of success the Sydney swans do pretty well in Sydney but it was a relocated team from south Melbourne who pretty much retained their generational fans for Melbourne away games and attracted expat melbournians living in Sydney. Similar thing in Brisbane with the Lions being relocated from Fitzroy in Melbourne.
The Giants from what I’ve seen and heard haven’t really taken off apart from a bit of bandwagon support when the had their grand final run, the area they represent is very strong in League and Soccer and see the Giants as a bit of a plastic team and are kinda the 2nd Sydney team after the swans.
The Suns are faring even worse in the old GC sporting graveyard and have been pretty much awful results wise since their inception. Both teams were an attempt to take on league in their stronghold. Financially they’re a bit of a money pit but the AFL seems to be pumping in money for the long term strategy, they can get a little creative with their measures of success and have heard stories of essentially doing an AFL session in P.E at school or playing social Aus kick qualifies you as an AFL participant

This year yet?

5003.jpg
REACTIONS: 6,212
8255.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]LittleDavey - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 25, 2013

If it's another East Coast club it will either be Ipswich Jets or the Bears. Although the Bears seem to be keen on relocating if necessary, even to Perth (which to me seems to be a no-brainer as far as expansion due to the additional timeslot 2 hours behind the East Coast. Sorry NZ cuzzy bros, I know that's 4hrs behind you guys but if you accept Eastern Aust is the centre of the sport then it does make some sense, travel aside.)

I agree with you with the Perth option. They seem to get decent enough crowds to the neutral games played there and NIB stadium is a good venue to base themselves.
The Bears with home games played at Central Coast stadium with a couple of nostalgic games at North Sydney Oval would work well too.

NZ is still a long way off being ready for a second club in the NRL. The introduction of the Moana Pasifika Super Rugby franchise has so far failed to capture the public with little fanfare and very sparse crowds which is further proof we are not ready.

I hope the NRL just stick with an 18th club in the next few years and don't bloat the comp with 20. I particularly shudder when people start talking about splitting it into conferences.

If a second NZ club is to be made, they should make it now for the 2nd tier comp, the idea is obviously to give Warriors a Rival and hope that helps the transition but I think establishing them as something for a few years in a lower category will at least give it less of a plastic GC Titans vibe about it though I think the problem with that entire franchise is the fact it's GC and the place is full of people from other parts of Australia who already had a team prior.

The question would be where to base it?

Active Now

• broncs30
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Sproj
  • Maddy
  • sooticus
  • Wild Horse
  • KateBroncos1812
  • bb_gun
  • Cavalo
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • Morkel
  • Locky field goal
  • mystico
  • Brocko
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Rookie Alan
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.