NRL 2024 Pre-Season Challenge Week 1

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Will Pryce is having a day out as well, we won't hear the end of it from @Wolfie.

Truthfully, i think he's going to crash and burn at Newcastle. They signed him to replace Ponga, then after all the concussions they had they move him back to fullback. I dont think he is ready to play halves so i really dont know where he will fit. I did hear some crazy suggestion they would put him on the wing.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Smart by Manly 4 and 5. 5 looked like he was running in quicksand but 4 played it smart.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
1. Billy Slater
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Greg Inglis
4. Hodgo
5. Israel Folau
6. JT
7. Cooper Cronk
8. James Graham
9. Cam Smith
10. Paul Gallen
11. SBW
12. Willie Mason
13. Corey Parker

14. Luke Lewis
15. Andrew Fifita
16. Sam Burgess
17. Sam Thaiday
There's probably some wriggle room around that right centre position and the make-up of the pack but you'd be going out on a limb to argue against the majority of those selections.

Matt Scott is one player I'd put forward. Picked up where Price & Civo left off and Queensland really missed having him in the middle.
1. Lockyer
2. Lote
3. Renouf
4. Girdler
5. Wendell
6. Fittler
7. Johns
8. Webke
9. Priddis
10. Petero
11. Tallis
12. Hindmarsh
13. Brad Clyde

14. Craig Wing
15. Brad Thorn
16. Reuben Wiki
17. Menzies
Probably a bit too heavy on the Broncos. Just on reputation, Danny Buderus winning a Dally M, captaining his state to Origin victories and captaining the country would give him the nod for me. Thorn is a Broncos legend, but I'd have to pick either Price or Morley over him.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Truthfully, i think he's going to crash and burn at Newcastle. They signed him to replace Ponga, then after all the concussions they had they move him back to fullback. I dont think he is ready to play halves so i really dont know where he will fit. I did hear some crazy suggestion they would put him on the wing.
He looked good this afternoon at five eighth. Granted the Sharks were sporting a few reserve graders and looked beyond over it in the second half but his timing and positioning was on point.

It would not shock me at all to see him pop up in that same role through out the season or even in the centres.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
He looked good this afternoon at five eighth. Granted the Sharks were sporting a few reserve graders and looked beyond over it in the second half but his timing and positioning was on point.

It would not shock me at all to see him pop up in that same role through out the season or even in the centres.

I could see him as a 14. Personally, i see him currently as a fullback, its his best position right now but i think he has everything in his locker to be a very good 6. I'm not sure about him at centre, i wonder if he has the discipline to play there but he's just so talented i could see him making a success of it.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I could see him as a 14. Personally, i see him currently as a fullback, its his best position right now but i think he has everything in his locker to be a very good 6. I'm not sure about him at centre, i wonder if he has the discipline to play there but he's just so talented i could see him making a success of it.
Unless he fills in for Kalyn, I just can't see him ever play 1 at Newcastle. I'm not as confident as Gamble holding the 6 position and wouldn't be shocked if O'Brien revists the Hastings at 13 move either.

You sure you're not going to get your 'I told you so' in? You're kind of blowing my spot right now.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I'd still love to take Gamble back, even if it is just as back up half.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Unless he fills in for Kalyn, I just can't see him ever play 1 at Newcastle. I'm not as confident as Gamble holding the 6 position and wouldn't be shocked if O'Brien revists the Hastings at 13 move either.

You sure you're not going to get your 'I told you so' in? You're kind of blowing my spot right now.
Ha ha. I have been on his bandwagon for a while now, but i've always had this gut feeling Newcastle just isnt the right move for him. I'm just not sure he fits there tbh.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
There's probably some wriggle room around that right centre position and the make-up of the pack but you'd be going out on a limb to argue against the majority of those selections.

Matt Scott is one player I'd put forward. Picked up where Price & Civo left off and Queensland really missed having him in the middle.

Probably a bit too heavy on the Broncos. Just on reputation, Danny Buderus winning a Dally M, captaining his state to Origin victories and captaining the country would give him the nod for me. Thorn is a Broncos legend, but I'd have to pick either Price or Morley over him.
Yeah I just saw Priddis and I have heavy nostalgia for that 2003 Grand Final. Buderus was always just part of that knights team that was part of the Sydney circle jerk haha

No idea how I missed Matt Scott and Adrian Morley... even in the notables 🤦🤦

70's team was a bit out of my era, but I saw Lockyer pop up and thought this will be an easy team to pick... and then went and filled it with broncos haha too much bias from my end on that one

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Not watching it, but a near full strength Roosters side seemingly struggling againt Manly bodes well for us come Vegas.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Not watching it, but a near full strength Roosters side seemingly struggling againt Manly bodes well for us come Vegas.
Have been half watching it and at times they've looked slick have been some nice quick hands in the backline exploiting rushing in defence (Staggs will need to be aware)... I think Teddy is being a bit of a handbrake for them.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Born in the 90s (the best decade)
1. James Tedesco
2. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Semi Radradra

Cheating a little bit including four fullbacks, but they all have experience in those positions and were clearly a cut above. There was a time where all Parramatta had to do was give Semi the ball and he'd turn an entire game on it's head. Tough to leave out To'o, Holmes and Addo-Carr but Radradra was just a freak.

6. Cameron Munster
7. Nathan Cleary

I don't think any other halfback comes close to Cleary. Munster has competition in Foran, C. Walker, Wighton, Luai etc. but I think his exploits in Origin gives him the nod.

8. Josh Papalii
9. Harry Grant
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Angus Crichton
13. Cameron Murray

This is where things get really contentious. I'm going to start with Papalii because of how well he held his own for Queensland and his leadership for Canberra who play that very physical style. Grant just seems a class above every other hooker and even when he's playing poorly by his own standards, he's still the best dummy half in the competition. Fisher-Harris is a cornerstone in that Panthers pack, so no worries there.

Edge backrow is far from solved, but I always rated Cordner and on reputation it's tough to look past his resume. Crichton just has a few more runs on the board than his competition, although if Kikau can turn the Bulldogs into a threat it'll be tough to ignore.

Lock forward is a really contentious spot, but Murray just has more skill and has one of the best play the balls I've seen, I'm in awe.

14. Brandon Smith
15. Payne Haas
16. Jason Taumalolo
17. Isaah Yeo

Smith maybe one of the best bench players I've seen and can play that 9/13 role perfectly. Haas and Taumalolo are just built different and I think off the bench after the feeling out process would decimate most teams.

Yeo was unlucky to miss out on the starting side and I always like having that centre option in a pinch. I had a tough time picking between him, Kikau, Asofa-Solomona and Tapine.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Born in the 90s (the best decade)
1. James Tedesco
2. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Semi Radradra

Cheating a little bit including four fullbacks, but they all have experience in those positions and were clearly a cut above. There was a time where all Parramatta had to do was give Semi the ball and he'd turn an entire game on it's head. Tough to leave out To'o, Holmes and Addo-Carr but Radradra was just a freak.

6. Cameron Munster
7. Nathan Cleary

I don't think any other halfback comes close to Cleary. Munster has competition in Foran, C. Walker, Wighton, Luai etc. but I think his exploits in Origin gives him the nod.

8. Josh Papalii
9. Harry Grant
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Angus Crichton
13. Cameron Murray

This is where things get really contentious. I'm going to start with Papalii because of how well he held his own for Queensland and his leadership for Canberra who play that very physical style. Grant just seems a class above every other hooker and even when he's playing poorly by his own standards, he's still the best dummy half in the competition. Fisher-Harris is a cornerstone in that Panthers pack, so no worries there.

Edge backrow is far from solved, but I always rated Cordner and on reputation it's tough to look past his resume. Crichton just has a few more runs on the board than his competition, although if Kikau can turn the Bulldogs into a threat it'll be tough to ignore.

Lock forward is a really contentious spot, but Murray just has more skill and has one of the best play the balls I've seen, I'm in awe.

14. Brandon Smith
15. Payne Haas
16. Jason Taumalolo
17. Isaah Yeo

Smith maybe one of the best bench players I've seen and can play that 9/13 role perfectly. Haas and Taumalolo are just built different and I think off the bench after the feeling out process would decimate most teams.

Yeo was unlucky to miss out on the starting side and I always like having that centre option in a pinch. I had a tough time picking between him, Kikau, Asofa-Solomona and Tapine.

I understand your thinking with all of this but in no world does Haas not make starting prop in team of the decade. I'd also argue that Papalii would be better off the bench as well but Haas is tracking to go down as an immortal.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Unbelievable chase from Russell on Savage, unlucky not to be rewarded.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • OXY-351
  • Lozza
  • Bish
  • Organix
  • Strop
  • Gaz
  • broncs30
  • ChewThePhatt
  • The Boss
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • BruiserMk1
  • Inknition
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.