NRL 2024 Round 1 Discussion

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
if we could close the gap in Meters from our backs even by half I think we would clear them easily, their attack has always been blunt.
We probably had that last year with Herbie, but our biggest strength in regards to meters is Payne and Patty.

Penrith get **** all meters our of JFH and Leota, which allows them to front load in defence. Last year those two averaged 130m and 116m respectively compared to 187m and 167m from Payne and Patty.

So we're already getting some of those big meters out of them. If we went full Penrith and relied on more meters out of our backs, then we're kind of denting what Payne and Patty bring, because they will end up taking hitups away from the two big guns in our pack.

We came second in run meters last year, behind panthers, but they were first in possession and first in completions compared to our 3rd in possession and 8th in completions.

Their attack is pretty poor given how much they win possession and field position every game... you give that to the broncos and we're putting 50 on teams weekly... unfortunately we just can't seem to do it...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I'm making a bold prediction - either us or Penrith will be 0-3.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
We probably had that last year with Herbie, but our biggest strength in regards to meters is Payne and Patty.

Penrith get **** all meters our of JFH and Leota, which allows them to front load in defence. Last year those two averaged 130m and 116m respectively compared to 187m and 167m from Payne and Patty.

So we're already getting some of those big meters out of them. If we went full Penrith and relied on more meters out of our backs, then we're kind of denting what Payne and Patty bring, because they will end up taking hitups away from the two big guns in our pack.

We came second in run meters last year, behind panthers, but they were first in possession and first in completions compared to our 3rd in possession and 8th in completions.

Their attack is pretty poor given how much they win possession and field position every game... you give that to the broncos and we're putting 50 on teams weekly... unfortunately we just can't seem to do it...
The big difference is when you go for the harder working outside backs they tend to lack in attack sharpness because they lack ball skills and other skills(they are not exclusive to each other but if you have a player who does both they will be a very expensive Joey Manu type player), they didn't have a single player in their backs like Staggs or Cobbo in that regard(outside Crichton), combine that with Walsh and you got alot more attack ammunition, but in a back and forth tug of war we will lose.

This will not take away from Haas or Carrigan imo, it will allow them to have more punch in their runs as they can reduce a few hitups in response for the time on the field(and therefore longer mins too).

We definitely need Cobbo to get his work rate back to how it was at Wing at the bare minimum to get us somewhere near where we were last year, imo Oates has to be back in the team too, if he can get near what he was doing in 2022 he will be crucial for us.

Just to note, last year Herbie was often doing the most runs in the team, and in 2022 it was Often Oates, that's what we need to see from our backs and they need to be punching the line too, I wouldn't expect that from Arthars and Mariner atm at least with how their builds are, but Oates and Cobbo are definitely capable of this, they have shown it before and have the bigger body for it.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Boy, somehow I kinda feel like we played the Rotters month’s ago. This gap is putting me off.

Given that our role is done for R1, I watched just the highlights of other games today.

Knights v Raiders -> Knights are trash & Raiders look all grubby and prepared to push it.

Warriors v Sharks-> I kind of felt Warriors would blow Sharks away but couldn’t figure out how Warriors loose. Probably, their defense let them down. Warriors looked good 1-17 on paper.

Panthers v Storm cheats —> quite frankly, I expected Storm getting trashed especially Panthers wanting to prove themselves. Didn’t even realize that I was cheering Panthers by watching just the highlights. Don’t know how bunker figured that Luais’ pass as suspecting. Reckon they got it wrong. But the Storm cheats win though…..

vomiting live tv GIF

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
The big difference is when you go for the harder working outside backs they tend to lack in attack sharpness because they lack ball skills and other skills(they are not exclusive to each other but if you have a player who does both they will be a very expensive Joey Manu type player), they didn't have a single player in their backs like Staggs or Cobbo in that regard(outside Crichton), combine that with Walsh and you got alot more attack ammunition, but in a back and forth tug of war we will lose.

This will not take away from Haas or Carrigan imo, it will allow them to have more punch in their runs as they can reduce a few hitups in response for the time on the field(and therefore longer mins too).

We definitely need Cobbo to get his work rate back to how it was at Wing at the bare minimum to get us somewhere near where we were last year, imo Oates has to be back in the team too, if he can get near what he was doing in 2022 he will be crucial for us.

Just to note, last year Herbie was often doing the most runs in the team, and in 2022 it was Often Oates, that's what we need to see from our backs and they need to be punching the line too, I wouldn't expect that from Arthars and Mariner atm at least with how their builds are, but Oates and Cobbo are definitely capable of this, they have shown it before and have the bigger body for it.

Selwyn will make more metres if he runs between defenders instead of trying to run over them . He loves the contact but is a target for big shots by running straight at defenders .

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The Bulldogs had their number in defence as well. They were reading Brown, Moses and Gutho better than anyone and the lone try they had conceded was a do or die grubber that took a quality put down to score. 8-0 would have been a great scoreline all things considered, but they didn't account for Lussick and he made them pay.

Bulldogs just need to get their hands on the footy. Keep it simple and stop giving away dumb penalties - they haven't looked bad with ball in hand.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
In all honesty, how can they think of adding another 1 or 2 teams when there are teams like Dogs and Tigers just wasting everyones time already.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
In all honesty, how can they think of adding another 1 or 2 teams when there are teams like Dogs and Tigers just wasting everyones time already.
Coaching skill issue.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Blatant knock on... Kiraz touches first and then it touches parra player... hurry up

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Kikau kicks him anyway so should be a penalty.. stupid challenge

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
I reckon gutsy at times but still lost by 30+ is gonna be the story of their season

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
You can always count on the Bulldogs to get you a point in tipping comps ... Will be first for the season, lol

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I think all the ball Parra had in the first half is paying off now.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Parra really should be up by 30+ with the amount of ball they’ve had. They’ve also had virtually every single 50/50 call to date

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • MrMoore
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.