NRL 2024 Round 1 Discussion

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
This has been a Round 1 from hell for tipsters. Both Grand Finalists losing, Knights going down to the Raiders, Sharks beating the Wahs at home, it's been completely baffling.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Game over.

Well done Melbourne.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Storm continue their unbeaten run in Round 1 under Bellamy.

That’s some record.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Still think Penrith will be a very solid team this year, Storm usually start strong Penrith still a bit clunky, but they still have their core ability to control games, because their outside backs do soo much more work than any other team which keeps their forwards fresh and lets them constantly make big meters.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Storm continue their unbeaten run in Round 1 under Bellamy.

That’s some record.
****... I had storm tipped all week.. it was only when Munster was ruled out and then I realised NAS wasn't playing either

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Still think Penrith will be a very solid team this year, Storm usually start strong Penrith still a bit clunky, but they still have their core ability to control games, because their outside backs do soo much more work than any other team which keeps their forwards fresh and lets them constantly make big meters.
Yeah i'd be excited if Penrith lost the possession and field position battle but they dominated those just like usual. They were scrappy with the ball but that'll improve and they'll be super hard to beat again.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
No Crichton to pull out a miracle try anymore...

Broncos Maestro

Broncos Maestro

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
And the slide of the Panthers begins……

I said last year that Cleary couldn’t keep it in his pants and it showed tonight. Normally he’d have more energy on field.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Yeah i'd be excited if Penrith lost the possession and field position battle but they dominated those just like usual. They were scrappy with the ball but that'll improve and they'll be super hard to beat again.
Yep.. I feel like if Cleary didn't have a godly boot, they would be nowhere near as good a team as they are. He's the size of a second rower, but also has the biggest kicking game ever seen.

There was a kick in the second half that was just a drop punt from his own 45m... it looked pretty average off the boot, but still landed at the 5m on the full and the kick chase was at the 15m!!

One of his first kicks was a torp bomb from around his 50m... Coates looked a little uneasy under it and it landed inside the 5m... just insane kicking game... torps are usually just hit and hope, but if he's now landing them on a dime then **** me

It's near impossible to win the field position game against them.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Yep.. I feel like if Cleary didn't have a godly boot, he would actually be pretty mid.

There was a kick in the second half that was just a drop punt from his own 45m... it looked pretty average off the boot, but still landed at the 5m on the full and the kick chase was at the 15m!!

One of his first kicks was a torp bomb from around his 50m... Coates looks a little uneasy under it and it landed inside the 5m... just insane kicking game... torps are usually just hit and hope, but if he's now landing them on a dime then **** me

It's near impossible to win the field position game against them.
The only way to beat them in field possession Imo is to have all your centres and wingers the hard working big meters type, I think we have them beat in Meters from our forwards(aslong as Carrigan stays in the middle) but the gap between our forwards and theirs isn't that large compared to the big gap between our backs meters to theirs.

That said we have more dangerous Attacking players, Walsh is worth alot more points than Edwards, but Edwards role is made soo much more simple because of the work their Wing and Centres do, Mam is stupidly fast as well always looking for those gaps between the edge forwards and the middle, our speed combined with our ball movement is what makes us soo sharp.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The only way to beat them in field possession Imo is to have all your centres and wingers the hard working big meters type, I think we have them beat in Meters from our forwards(aslong as Carrigan stays in the middle) but the gap between our forwards and theirs isn't that large compared to the big gap between our backs meters to theirs.

That said we have more dangerous Attacking players, Walsh is worth alot more points than Edwards, but Edwards role is made soo much more simple because of the work their Wing and Centres do, Mam is stupidly fast as well always looking for those gaps between the edge forwards and the middle, our speed combined with our ball movement is what makes us soo sharp.
I think broncos can actually handle them if we're on a nice dry track.

There's nothing worse than watching a broncos game and seeing Walsh and co slipping over trying to put a step on or taking a yardage hit up.

We like a fast track and we like to spread it wide after Payne and Patty win the middle... if we were somehow able to complete above 80% whilst also playing with the freedom to spread it and exploit the edges then we could be unstoppable... but we're not at that level yet.

Penrith play Bennett ball on steroids (are they on the juice with their infinite stamina 🤔🤔)... it's super conservative and looking to overwhelm teams with field position, structure and completion rates. Their linespeed never tires... that can be a killer to the broncos.

One thing we don't do well is exploit the terrible officiating... we actually run back the 10m and we don't wrestle to the nth degree (which means we defend and scramble more quick ptbs than a lot of the top teams) and we don't dive and get penalties as much as other teams.

We don't game the system, which means we're starting from behind all the time.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I think broncos can actually handle them if we're on a nice dry track.

There's nothing worse than watching a broncos game and seeing Walsh and co slipping over trying to put a step on or taking a yardage hit up.

We like a fast track and we like to spread it wide after Payne and Patty win the middle... if we were somehow able to complete above 80% whilst also playing with the freedom to spread it and exploit the edges then we could be unstoppable... but we're not at that level yet.

Penrith play Bennett ball on steroids (are they on the juice with their infinite stamina 🤔🤔)... it's super conservative and looking to overwhelm teams with field position, structure and completion rates. Their linespeed never tires... that can be a killer to the broncos.

One thing we don't do well is exploit the terrible officiating... we actually run back the 10m and we don't wrestle to the nth degree (which means we defend and scramble more quick ptbs than a lot of the top teams) and we don't dive and get penalties as much as other teams.

We don't game the system, which means we're starting from behind all the time.
if we could close the gap in Meters from our backs even by half I think we would clear them easily, their attack has always been blunt.

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • MrMoore
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.