NRL Auckland Nines

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Kiwi fans are the best. Needless to say the banter includes my best (worst) attempts at a kiwi accent.

This so much.

Was at a close game a few years back and the Warriors were in front, Kiwi (Willie Mason style fro) walking up the aisle saying "Go the Warriors eh bro?".....oblivious to the play on field. As the cheers rose, he turned around in time to see a Bronco score taking us to the lead. He put his head in his hands and said, very loudly, "Awww noooo brooo! Warriors are beached asssss!"...to thunderous laughter from everyone around him. Was gold.

I was unaware of how well we are supported over there tbh, but there was a hell of a lot of Broncos gear in the crowd.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
So I've re-watched the Auckland 9s comp and picked the best players in each game leading to a "Dream team" after all the games.

1 Sam Tomkins
2 Antonio Winterstein
3 James Tadesko
4 Jarrod Mullen
5 Shaun Johnson
6 Andrew Fifita
7 Andrew McCullough
8 Sam Tagatese
9 Jason Taumololo

A lot of these were easy to pick but there were a few hard ones. For example, Tamou only had one really good game and in the rest Taumololo played better. Fifita was the forward of the comp and Tagatese was unstoppable. Tadesko only played 3 games but was the best in each game. Dude can run! Everyone saw McCullough and Johnson dominate in almost every game they played although Johnson eventually disappeared and when Tomkins was doing all the work the whole team looked bad and they lost. Winterstein was great with every single touch. And Mullen before his injury was taking control of the game better than anyone. I almost feel as though if he didn't get injured he would have played as good, if not better than Shaun Johnson.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Also made a 2nd best team too.
1 Dylan Walker
2 Semi Radradra
3 Konrad Hurrell
4 Kodi Nikorima
5 Robert Lui
6 James Tamou
7 Jake Friend
8 Tohu Harris
9 FuiFui MoiMoi

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
What did people think of Barba? Great or average?

I thought by his standards, he was average. Apart from a few good things, he didn't provide much in attack and rarely came in looking for offloads from the forwards. His support play was nearly non-existent and the defense had him well covered a lot of the time. He rarely looked like he was going to break the line and get into open space. I think his foot was really bothering him and as a result he was average overall.

Maybe I was watching a completely different Barba to people.

P.S. I'm very aware he is coming back from an injury and it's going to take him time to get used to things here, but it still does not change the fact that he was average.

Last edited:
LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Barba was clearly well below 100% with his ankle, he was protecting himself to some degree IMO. He was average by his standards, but the impact he had on the opposition team made us a hell of a lot more dangerous...he was drawing in defenders just by his presence in one place, creating just that bit more space throughout the rest of the paddock.

I thought his support play was pretty good, and he seemed to pop up quite a bit in the first few games (less as the comp went on as he started struggling with his injury more, I felt).

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Don't underestimate us this year, the players are buying what Ricky's selling, looking fitter than ever before and the trial match showed a lot of promise with the juniors vying for positions. The year is looking very promising for Raiders fans.

Timely bump...

I'd be surprised if next year is any better either. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sticky get the arse.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Timely bump...

I'd be surprised if next year is any better either. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sticky get the arse.
That's funny. You don't see the Manbush around these parts so much anymore for some reason ...

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Timely bump...

TBF to manbush, it does look like the players have bought what Ricky is selling. Unfortunately what Ricky is selling is defective rubbish... I would be on to the ACCC if I was them

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
TBF to manbush, it does look like the players have bought what Ricky is selling. Unfortunately what Ricky is selling is defective rubbish... I would be on to the ACCC if I was them
TBF the first 6 weeks were looking very promising, leading the comp in a few vital stats and playing with heart but with little luck before they fell into a major slump.

Defamatory.

Last edited by a moderator:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
TBF the first 6 weeks were looking very promising, leading the comp in a few vital stats and playing with heart but with little luck before they fell into a major slump.

Defamatory.

Not smug at all.

I'm not the one that came onto an opposition forum boasting my teams potential despite boasting the games worst coach and halves pairing.

I'm well aware we are under achieving and post accordingly

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • davidp
  • Midean
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behold
  • HarryAllan7
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Ondi
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.