NRL Auckland Nines

Stagg's knees must be made of glass.

I can't help but think that this sort of article is someone pushing a no NRL 9's agenda.

Without reading the article .......resigning Stagg this year was a shit decision for us to make.

He could barely get around last year. His knees are fucked.

Yes....4 games, even if they are 20min games, in one day is a lot.

I agree with Parker ....should invite the Pommy teams in and stretch it over more days.

That said, injuries can happen. Whether it happens at training...in a trial .....a season game .....a rep game

even falling out of bed (Hi Dave Taylor !!)

it's just the luck of the draw.

Yes....4 games, even if they are 20min games, in one day is a lot.

I agree with Parker ....should invite the Pommy teams in and stretch it over more days.

That said, injuries can happen. Whether it happens at training...in a trial .....a season game .....a rep game

even falling out of bed (Hi Dave Taylor !!)

it's just the luck of the draw.

This.

I went to type more, but, it sums it up.

Stirring the Pot here :

I thought rugby league was a contact sport for tough men.

Since when did NRL fans become so Occupational health and safety Minded ?

Our nineteen eighties counterparts would call us a load of poofters.

You play league you get hurt.

Are we swallowing too much of the cool aide off the players association and Club centric administrators ?

That tournament was a stunning success.......I would have thought hearing the Broncos chant in the final from the largely Kiwi fans....twenty five thousand riding the broncs might be worth looking into by your club at this nines thingy.

Kiwis favorite NRL team, the Brisbane Broncos after the Warriors , who wulda thunk it ?

Broncos merchandise sold out at the ground on day one

Stirring the Pot here :

That tournament was a stunning success.......I would have thought hearing the Broncos chant in the final from the largely Kiwi fans....twenty five thousand riding the broncs might be worth looking into by your club at this nines thingy.

Kiwis favorite NRL team, the Brisbane Broncos after the Warriors , who wulda thunk it ?

Not sure what your point is here - care to elaborate?

The tournament was a great success, much more enjoyable than I expected. Will it stand the test of time and live beyond novelty (as the All Stars game failed to do)? That's the question. We've got 4 more years contracted, so we'll see.

As for the injuries, meh. As they said in commentary, if they weren't getting injured in the 9s they'd be getting injured in trial games. It's a contact sport, injuries happen, get over it.

The tournament was a great success, much more enjoyable than I expected. Will it stand the test of time and live beyond novelty (as the All Stars game failed to do)? That's the question. We've got 4 more years contracted, so we'll see.

As for the injuries, meh. As they said in commentary, if they weren't getting injured in the 9s they'd be getting injured in trial games. It's a contact sport, injuries happen, get over it.

Agree with all of this.
Since it's a 5 year contract, does that mean the all stars concept is officially dead? Or is the elephant in the room which no one will officially call dead?

All I've heard to date is the all stars game is on pause for this year.

Not sure what your point is here - care to elaborate?
I have always suspected that the Warriors have kept a lot of NRL fans (and potential converts to Rugby league who don't want the Warriors up and down nonsense)

out of the game in NZ.

The NRL brought the Show to town.

It made Millions.

It rocked Rugby union in a country with Three Million Unionists.

The Brisbane Broncos were the leading secound team and the Non Warriors team many Kiwis were looking to support.....they captured the imagination by bringing their stars.

The Broncos have a huge potential market here. Just watch that Trial next week sell out in the Rugby mad Sth Island....most are there to see both teams.

If I were the Broncos I would seize the day and aggressively reach out to the Kiwi fans

Stirring the Pot here :

I thought rugby league was a contact sport for tough men.

Since when did NRL fans become so Occupational health and safety Minded ?

Our nineteen eighties counterparts would call us a load of poofters.

You play league you get hurt.

Are we swallowing too much of the cool aide off the players association and Club centric administrators ?

I've known that for ages, I mean half our team are kiwis.

I remember being at the game against the Warriors in 2011 when we beat them by one point. This kiwi fella in front of us and been dancing around and going on about how they were gonna win etc. so as we left I thought I would be a smart arse so I said "sorry about the loss mate" and he lifts up his warriors jersey to reveal a bronco jersey and goes "Don't worry bro, now I go for the broncos hey"

so as we left I thought I would be a smart arse so I said "sorry about the loss mate" and he lifts up his warriors jersey to reveal a bronco jersey and goes "Don't worry bro, now I go for the broncos hey"

I had a similar thing a few years back at a game, every time the Broncos scored the kiwi bloke in front put on a Broncos shirt. Soon as the Warriors scored he would put theirs on..

Never seen somebody change so often in public.

I remember being at the game against the Warriors in 2011 when we beat them by one point. This kiwi fella in front of us and been dancing around and going on about how they were gonna win etc. so as we left I thought I would be a smart arse so I said "sorry about the loss mate" and he lifts up his warriors jersey to reveal a bronco jersey and goes "Don't worry bro, now I go for the broncos hey"

Kiwi fans are the best. Needless to say the banter includes my best (worst) attempts at a kiwi accent.

Kiwi fans are the best. Needless to say the banter includes my best (worst) attempts at a kiwi accent.

What do you meaaannnn brooo? theres is no suck thing as a bad keewee accent. churr

My main point is the Difference is non NRL heads sat around yesterday wondering during the break who to support.

Big difference when the swing vote went to the Broncos in New Zealand at Rugby union central.

Yes the Brocos have banked on traditional Kiwi Support. This is the new fan , the twenty somethings lining up to trade the Auckland Blues for some Bronco interest.

I suspect the shift wont be lost on the club....it doesn't come across on the telly how electric the atmosphere is there.

You have to get to one in the next four years people. I wont miss a single one even if I have to pay a thousand for a black market ticket.

Forget comparisons to the All Stars.

That's played in a League country.

New Zealand has been ( foolishly in the past ) neglected by the NRL.....they have got their eyes open now.

NZ has been starving for this.

Last edited:
Agree with all of this.
Since it's a 5 year contract, does that mean the all stars concept is officially dead? Or is the elephant in the room which no one will officially call dead?

All I've heard to date is the all stars game is on pause for this year.

With the success of the 9s, I think it's going to be hard to fit the All Stars into the preseason schedule. So it'll move to post season - assuming it fits somewhere between Grand Final and Test matches.

With the success of the 9s, I think it's going to be hard to fit the All Stars into the preseason schedule. So it'll move to post season - assuming it fits somewhere between Grand Final and Test matches.

For mine they should treat the all stars like the pro bowl in the nfl. Play it the week before the grand final and only players from the other 14 teams not involved in the grand final are eligible to play

I have always suspected that the Warriors have kept a lot of NRL fans (and potential converts to Rugby league who don't want the Warriors up and down nonsense)

out of the game in NZ.

The NRL brought the Show to town.

It made Millions.

It rocked Rugby union in a country with Three Million Unionists.

The Brisbane Broncos were the leading secound team and the Non Warriors team many Kiwis were looking to support.....they captured the imagination by bringing their stars.

The Broncos have a huge potential market here. Just watch that Trial next week sell out in the Rugby mad Sth Island....most are there to see both teams.

If I were the Broncos I would seize the day and aggressively reach out to the Kiwi fans

I get what you're saying but I took it as you saying the Broncos have missed some golden opportunity.
With all the kiwis in the team, the current Kiwi coach and what looks like an annual trial match with the players spending a lot of time over there, I don't think they are ignoring New Zealand but, as any marking guru will tell you, you have to be careful not to alienate your base as well.

I get what you're saying but I took it as you saying the Broncos have missed some golden opportunity.
With all the kiwis in the team, the current Kiwi coach and what looks like an annual trial match with the players spending a lot of time over there, I don't think they are ignoring New Zealand but, as any marking guru will tell you, you have to be careful not to alienate your base as well.
Agreed , you have to keep the Base protected , especially yours which is as good as it gets.

The ignoring Kiwis thing is directed at the NRL not the Broncs.

They have badly misjudged this.

They thought the Warriors and the Kiwis were the way to assess the demand for league here.

They don't realise how many union fans watch NRL that hate the Warriors and have no interest in the Kiwis.

Before the Warriors.....the Bulldogs and Manly played here to sell outs.

The NRL went away from it assuming the Warriors would grow that interest.

This tournament is a chance for the Broncs to sell a lot of gear if nothing else that's worth it.

Brisbane should be raping and pillaging the NZRL .......the Kiwis have way too many classy players running around.

An abundance of athletic, powerful fast....hard hitting forwards and backs. Surely we'd have no issue enticing them to Brisbane. Half the NZ population lives here as it is !!

Active Now

• Maddy
  • Jedhead
  • Gaz
  • johnny plath
  • Ondi
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • upthehorse
  • Mister Wright
  • Sproj
  • RolledOates
  • Culhwch
  • Big Del
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Dee
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.