CROSS FORUM NRL Finals Week Two Discussion

Unlucky @JayPee

At least your team gets to avoid being fisted by Penrith or Melbourne next week.

Sharks won’t beat the Panthers. Didn’t score in the second half against a lacklustre Cowboys. Unfortunately it looks to be another Top 2 Grand Final 😞

Penrith could score 50 next week if they dish this up again.

Good shit! Sharks did their job and knocked out the Cowboys and their reward will be getting pumped by Penrith.

Always rated Tricky over Hynes

Dude is a fullback at most

The Sharks have finally got the monkey off their back.

I don't think there was much between either side even at 24-0. The biggest difference is that the Sharks played with more width around the ruck and had more success going wide before turning it back in to roll down the field.

Whereas I thought the Cowboys were very predictable in the first half and targeted Hynes to their own dentriment. The Sharks read the play easily, the Cowboys struggled to gain momentum and the only time they looked likely was when they got Val 1-1 with Ramien. Otherwise it was kick and hope from Clifford.

They adjusted better in the second half and started playing more direct. Drinkwater got more involved at first receiver/dummy half and that just gave them more potency.

Still, the Sharks should have put it to bed early in the second half. The Cows defence was in all sorts but they just couldn't compose themselves. Credit to the Cows defence as well, their goal line defence was largely good on the night until Feldt made a bad decision in defence and was easily picked off. A shame, because there were so many great efforts - that try saver from Dearden at the death was a beauty.

I never thought of either team as a premiership contender. While the Sharks have an opportunity to prove me wrong, the Cowboys are back to the drawing board. It'll be interesting to see how time reflects on this season, because I still think this is a team that's still finding itself. Yet, they have individuals there who absolutely deserved to be playing finals footy and they brought a lot of players around them kicking and screaming into the dance. They were only ever going to be able to take them so far, but I think players like Dearden, Cotter, McIntyre etc. can take a lot of confidence out of this campaign.

The Cowboys could easily miss the finals next year, but I'd be shocked if they made a habit out of it.

Active Now

• Great white hope
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • BroncoFan94
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.