NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a trainer stops the game, then the player once assessed either has to be interchanged/HIA or if the player is staying on then he is moved off the field and cant rejoin the game again until the next time the ball goes out of play.

If a trainer stops the game, then the player once assessed either has to be interchanged/HIA or if the player is staying on then he is moved off the field and cant rejoin the game again until the next time the ball goes out of play.
That is actually not a terrible solution.

You don't have to make an injury assessment, you just have to assess do I need to stop the game and if it isn't in the way or serious they're not supposed to stop the play.

When a guy is laying on his back and the trainer is stretching his leg 40m away- do you need to stop the game? If the ref had said no I am not stopping watch the Storm get up and back in the line.
The problem with putting the onus on the ref that way is it possibly opens him up to liability if the play continues and the player and trainer have signaled potentially dangerous injury. You are forcing him to make a judgement call for which he unqualified and unprepared to answer.
Currently, they rely on the trainers discretion for serious injury and make a judgement call whether the play will interfere with that assessment. But once an assessment is made and is serious enough to threaten the players long term health to let play continue, he has no choice.
I believe that is how it should be. But if play is stopped for a player's concern, only to be later shown as meta game tactics outside the spirit of the discretion shown to trainers there has to be serious consequences.
You can argue the nature of trainers "coaching" behind the line as similarly detrimental but it is done almost universally. This is to my knowledge unprecedented, and the quicker it is nipped in the bud the better.

Sounds reasonable to me. I still think there needs to be a severe penalty for abuse of stoppages for injury, but this would be a good place to start.

I thought the ref was playing on but then he got a signal from the trainer that play needed to be stopped. The ref was never going to overrule the trainers assessment.

although as i understand it the trainer waived for the game to stop BEFORE he actually got to Vunivalu, lol

something similar to that happens (or at least used to happen) in Soccer

I didn't see the incident because I didn't watch any of the finals, can't stand rugby league this year so didn't know it was 40m away. If that is the case, then I agree, why stop the game? The player isn't in a dangerous position so play on. That one is on the ref then, for sure.

You and AFL is like Huge and the Sharks, we don't want to keep hearing about how much you hate the game right now.

Of course the Sydney media know who wins. It’s their award. The whole thing is bullshit

Jahrome Hughes.

His manager is trying to play the usual media games for a contract extension (it's up next year). He can negotiate with other clubs from November and I think there's a chance he leaves the Storm if they don't offer him his perceived worth.

Not for one second saying Broncos should be interested, but curious do people actually rate him or is he made to look a better player by the system around him?

Last edited:
Jahrome Hughes.

His manager is trying to play the usual media games for a contract extension (it's up next year). He can negotiate with other clubs from November and I think there's a chance he leaves the Storm if they don't offer him his perceived worth.

Not for one second saying Broncos should be interested, but curious do people actually rate him or is he made to look a better player by the system around him?

If he was prepared to play fullback, i'd absolutely sign him ... i don't really rate him as a half though

Hughes is one of the best halfbacks in the comp, most underrated half in the game, he is absolute weapon. I'd happily take him as a half.

Jahrome Hughes.

I think he's just about the textbook example of a Melbourne player who simply wouldn't have flourished as much in any other system.

Not a bad Fullback, definitely would consider him playing there, but as a Half I'm not sure he was even as good as Croft was in that Melbourne system and look how Croft has gone since.

Hughes is one of the best halfbacks in the comp, most underrated half in the game, he is absolute weapon. I'd happily take him as a half.

completely disagree.

IMO, he get found out when Cam Smith is no longer there doing the organising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • theshed
  • MrMoore
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • levikaden
  • Bish
  • LittleDavey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.