NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharks still have some talent emerging with the likes of Talakai, Rudolf, Hunt, Hamlin-Uele, Kennedy. Obviously SJ will be a huge loss but I think they're pretty keen to get Moylan off the books so if they can find a suitor then perhaps they'll be able to re-sign Trindall or get Cust or Benji to fill in.

Manly's season will hinge on Turbo's fitness and whatever happens with Fainu. AFB off the cap should give them a decent chance to target middle forwards for the bench rotation which they desperately need . Gosiewski has been okay in recent weeks but they still probably need an edge backrower. Foran could be an interesting addition with Walker back in the centres. With their spine top 8 is very possible.

Brown gave the impression RTS apparently wants out to able to stay in NZ next year.

The Storm have been find 10k for time wasting as a result of the Vunivalu cramp controversy

The Storm have been find 10k for time wasting as a result of the Vunivalu cramp controversy

And they'd do it again if in the same situation.

And they'd do it again if in the same situation.

Yeah that won’t change anything.
For starters that trainer should be punted for the rest of the season.

That is a pretty bad look for the game. If they seriously think the storm used an injury time out for advantage, they should be looking at the whole idea of stoppages in games and their repercussions. I heard one of the talking heads on TV or radio suggest a mandatory removal from the field for independent assessment and it seems both logical and fair where a player is "injured", be it legitimate or otherwise. It is better for both game management and player welfare as the player themselves is probably a worse judge of an injury rather than medical staff. I never met a player who could make it upon two legs who thought he wasn't fit enough.
As for the storm, there should be a suspended 2 point table penalty for a future offence, and removal from the finals upon repeat (if proven, hard I know). All this, of course, could be avoided if a player is simply removed from the field for assessment for an extended time (with no free interchange).

Yeah that won’t change anything.
For starters that trainer should be punted for the rest of the season.

If you did that to every trainer that broke the rules you wouldn't have the role anymore. Alf would sit out all year.

What about some onus on the ref to say, nice try but that's a cramp take him out the back.

If you did that to every trainer that broke the rules you wouldn't have the role anymore. Alf would sit out all year.

What about some onus on the ref to say, nice try but that's a cramp take him out the back.
I think you'll find the Refs have been given a V'Landys mandated hall pass for at least this year given they all agreed to roll over on the rule changes and shafting of their colleagues by dropping the second Ref.

I’ll defend the ref here for once, he or she isn’t a doctor, they cannot be called upon to make an injury assessment. What happens if the ref says, hey move that player off the field, that’s just a cramp and it ends up being a Latrell or Macca where the hamstring has totally obliterated. That opens then to a lawsuit.

Last edited:
I’ll defend the ref here for once, he or she isn’t a doctor, they cannot be called upon to make an injury assessment. What happens if the ref says, hey move that player off the field, that’s just a cramp and it ends up being a Latrell or Macca where the hamstring has totally obliterated. That opens then to a lawsuit.
Yeah I actually tend to agree with you here, it's one of the few things the Ref genuinely shouldn't have to be overly accountable for. If the clubs were slapped hard for an infringement it's the only hope you have of change. A $10k fine is hardly likely to do the job though. Even a $50k fine would probably be an acceptable cost for the clubs in the right circumstances if it was a key finals match so I'm not sure what a suitable deterrent would be but they need to find something.

Last edited:

You don't have to make an injury assessment, you just have to assess do I need to stop the game and if it isn't in the way or serious they're not supposed to stop the play.

When a guy is laying on his back and the trainer is stretching his leg 40m away- do you need to stop the game? If the ref had said no I am not stopping watch the Storm get up and back in the line.

Last edited:

I can't recall alf doing anything like what that storm trainer did. Yes he is probably on the field a bit too much but he is not trying to hold up play like that.
I don't think the refs should have to make a call in that situation they aren't doctors.
I still say if trainers start getting punted this nonsense will stop.

You don't have to make an injury assessment, you just have to assess do I need to stop the game and if it isn't in the way or serious they're not supposed to stop the play.

When a guy is laying on his back and the trainer is stretching his leg 40m away- do you need to stop the game? If the ref had said no I am not stopping watch the Storm get up and back in the line.

I didn't see the incident because I didn't watch any of the finals, can't stand rugby league this year so didn't know it was 40m away. If that is the case, then I agree, why stop the game? The player isn't in a dangerous position so play on. That one is on the ref then, for sure.

How is the red to know?

That all sounds great until someone with a broken leg is forced to walk from the field and everyone is baying for that refs blood.

Sure in theory it's simple, but at the pace the game moves and now with only one of them on the field it's just one more split second judgement that you're asking them to make and honestly, they can barely get their shit together as it is so I'm not in favour whatsoever in giving them any more things to likely balls up. Especially another thing that's as open to interpretation and possible bias or manipulation as something like this.

Last edited:
I thought the ref was playing on but then he got a signal from the trainer that play needed to be stopped. The ref was never going to overrule the trainers assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • GCBRONCO
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • bb_gun
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.