NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much rubbish in one article.
  • A second Brisbane team isn't guaranteed to have over 15,000 supporters turning up every fortnight.
  • St George Illawarra arguably does not have the "best and most famous brand in the competition"
  • Why would people care that Mal Meninga is a "figurehead"? At club level, he's entirely famous for Canberra, not Brisbane
  • Gus Gould has arguably not improved Penrith at all
  • 14 out of the last 16 wooden spooners are drawn from 10 teams. That makes sense from a pure law of averages, so that's not a good reason to get rid of one.
  • As far as picking which team has to go... that already happened. North Sydney, South Sydney, West Sydney and Illawarra all had to go. There were offical criteria and everything.
  • Whichever club gets removed, those supporters are just gone. They won't support another NRL team, they'll just go to football or AFL.

The only sensible thing in there is that the Broncos should get some weekend home games.

Tohu Harris is a Victorian junior from memory, and I think there's a solitary NT jr running around as well. The Victorian jr system is, considering the Storm have been around for 20 years now, an absolute disgrace.

EDIT: correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't WA have a better JR system than Victoria at the moment?
Young Tonumaipea is the victorian junior I believe.
No I'm wrong

Last edited:
Future immortal Mahe Fonua was a Melbourne junior from memory.

Matty Johns claims there's a "rumour" about the NRL scrapping the cap to create a survival of the fittest. It's 99% BS, but bring it on!

I hate them as much as anyone, but that makes zero sense!

The first part of your comment is exactly why.

Nobody likes them, and we won't have to put up with them anymore or see that stupid banner they take to away games. Win win.

Nobody likes them, and we won't have to put up with them anymore. Win win.
I like them. I also like Moga. I must be a minority.

Nobody likes them, and we won't have to put up with them anymore or see that stupid banner they take to away games. Win win.
I don't think that's actually a valid reason to drop them from the NRL. They're the only team on the north shores of Sydney, plenty of better candidates out of Tigers, Sharks, Eels and Souffs (which should all go imo).

Matty Johns claims there's a "rumour" about the NRL scrapping the cap to create a survival of the fittest. It's 99% BS, but bring it on!
There might only be 4 teams left standing.

If they were to scrap the cap it will be Broncos vs Souths/Eels/Roosters every year.

Kasiano signed a three year deal with the Storm
Like the Storm need any more giant front rowers

Kasiano signed a three year deal with the Storm
Like the Storm need any more giant front rowers

Then that's it, with the departure of him and Reynolds there are no more grubs at the Bulldogs next year.

Klemmer is still there hold up the fort

He is a lightweight grub compared to them 2. Apart from lifting his knees a bit when he runs never really thought of him as a grub. Last year him and Woods were the only 2 NSW players that stayed and listened to Smith's victory speech while the rest all followed dickhead Gallen when he walked off.

3e210525f0bb716308c3827a746e14f4

IT wouldn’t be a trip to Brisbane without having a disagreement with old super coach Wayne Bennett.
I sent him a text on Wednesday when we arrived for the fight.
Buzz: “It’s Phil Rothfield, Wayne. I’m in Brisbane for the fight. Any chance you might be up for a coffee/interview you were thinking about last Xmas. Thx.”
Bennett: “Sorry Phil, I don’t drink coffee. Wayne.”
Buzz: “Tea?”
Bennett: “No, don’t drink tea, either.”
Buzz: “Your replies Wayne say a lot about rugby league being a little game on the east coast of Australia, New Zealand and in the north of England.
Pacquiao vs Horn: All you need to know
“You’ve got an international media in town — plus the senior journos from across this country — to report on an event that will be shown to the biggest TV audience in the US since Ali fought Spinks in ’78. The media access is world class. There’s no shit from the fighters. They’re all here to promote a wonderful event. There’s another big game in town. Storm v Broncos. No one cares about promoting it. The usual rusted-on diehards will watch it.
“The legendary old coach couldn’t give a stuff. He doesn’t need the media like he did a couple of years ago when he left the Knights in ruins. Seriously, Wayne, I’m over all your crap.”
Bennett: “Phil, hold it together. I am not interested in doing an article, that is it. There will be 40-plus at Friday’s game. They want to see the football not some old coach talking about nothing.”
BRONCOS V STORM: Five things we learned
IMPOSING: Storm destroy depleted Broncos

6b46da0f473e78224d59340f51fea3d4

Wayne Bennett needs to do more to promote the game, says Phil Rothfield. Pic Darren England.
Buzz: “The same 40k who have been turning up for years. Our game has had zero growth partly because people close the door on opportunities to tell the story to potential new customers.”
So there you go.
In hindsight, your correspondent was probably a bit over the top with the texts.
I’d just come back from interviewing a guy called Freddie Roach, a similar age to Bennett.
He’s Manny Pacquiao’s trainer and a boxing legend. He’s trained more than 30 world champions.
It was such a pleasure to interview him. He couldn’t have been more helpful.
He knows this fight is a big event. And, unlike Wayne, he knows how to professionally promote big-time sport.

The douchebag that is Rothfield.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/834194d1d65c953a0abd53db5d549987

"Phil, hold it together" - Wayne Bennett.

I think he speaks for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Cavalo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • Dash
  • Rowdy124
  • broncotville
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosAlways
  • Old Mate
  • MrMoore
  • broncs30
  • Redux
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.